Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times

Advertisements

It's hard to argue against it being up and coming - check out all the places opening in the so-called "design district" right next to it as well as stuff before the planning board for more townhouses, etc. in Rosemary Park, etc.

Add to that hundreds (more?) of condo and hotel rooms being built just 5 blocks away - selling in the millions for the top-end units - and it's hard to imagine it becoming anything other than successful now that the recession is past.

I do agree that it has taken a long time - but the Great Recession is a long event...it may have delayed things 7-10+ years.

If one believes the Recession is over and that Sarasota, in general, is on the upswing..then it's a no brainer.

As far as living there right now, that always depends where you come from and what you are used to. If you truly look at the crime stats, the incidences of crime against innocent residents is almost zero...or at least very low. If you are from the farmlands of Iowa, you may get culture shock. If you are from S. Philly, Brooklyn, etc. you won't bat an eyelash.

I'd say this...but this also applies to DT and Laurel Park, etc. to an extent. I wouldn't walk around extensively at night in unlit places. But that's mostly paranoia since the crime stats don't seem to show much against "innocents" (not muggings, etc.) Same is true for lots of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's hard to argue against it being up and coming - check out all the places opening in the so-called "design district" right next to it as well as stuff before the planning board for more townhouses, etc. in Rosemary Park, etc.

Add to that hundreds (more?) of condo and hotel rooms being built just 5 blocks away - selling in the millions for the top-end units - and it's hard to imagine it becoming anything other than successful now that the recession is past.

I do agree that it has taken a long time - but the Great Recession is a long event...it may have delayed things 7-10+ years.

If one believes the Recession is over and that Sarasota, in general, is on the upswing..then it's a no brainer.

As far as living there right now, that always depends where you come from and what you are used to. If you truly look at the crime stats, the incidences of crime against innocent residents is almost zero...or at least very low. If you are from the farmlands of Iowa, you may get culture shock. If you are from S. Philly, Brooklyn, etc. you won't bat an eyelash.

I'd say this...but this also applies to DT and Laurel Park, etc. to an extent. I wouldn't walk around extensively at night in unlit places. But that's mostly paranoia since the crime stats don't seem to show much against "innocents" (not muggings, etc.) Same is true for lots of places.
Problem is, GP butts up right next to Newtown, Sarasota's ghetto, and that ain't never gonna change....

As I said, for me even Laurel Park was a NIGHTMARE to live in - lots and lots of crime, our fence was set on fire, we were broken into twice, I had peeping toms, drunks in my doorway to name a few. I have friends that live there even now who have issues. I guess if people don't mind this just to be downtown, then OK. Not for me ever again!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Problem is, GP butts up right next to Newtown, Sarasota's ghetto, and that ain't never gonna change....

As I said, for me even Laurel Park was a NIGHTMARE to live in - lots and lots of crime, our fence was set on fire, we were broken into twice, I had peeping toms, drunks in my doorway to name a few. I have friends that live there even now who have issues. I guess if people don't mind this just to be downtown, then OK. Not for me ever again!
That's important information for many!

I have friends who live out on the fanciest islands off SRQ and they regularly deal with drunks peeing in the open on their beach and have even found beach goers using their home outdoor shower (they are about 3 houses in from the beach)...they have to call the police quite often when the inland "natives" all come partying at their beach.

So you can spend a million and still not luxuriate in total peace!

gyp - since you seem very familiar, what do you think of the closer-in parts of paver park, arlington, etc? It seems as if the housing boom destroyed the neighboorhood there (lots of underwater houses and foreclosures), but that the area is and has been safe and "live and let live" to an extent. Some decent block houses with upgrades there are selling for under $200K....

It's a long walk to DT, but a short bike ride or car trip.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
That's important information for many!

I have friends who live out on the fanciest islands off SRQ and they regularly deal with drunks peeing in the open on their beach and have even found beach goers using their home outdoor shower (they are about 3 houses in from the beach)...they have to call the police quite often when the inland "natives" all come partying at their beach.

So you can spend a million and still not luxuriate in total peace!

gyp - since you seem very familiar, what do you think of the closer-in parts of paver park, arlington, etc? It seems as if the housing boom destroyed the neighboorhood there (lots of underwater houses and foreclosures), but that the area is and has been safe and "live and let live" to an extent. Some decent block houses with upgrades there are selling for under $200K....

It's a long walk to DT, but a short bike ride or car trip.
I think the areas you mention (PP, Arlington, etc.) are all good locations. Sure, the housing crash affected it some, but those are good locations, not near ghetto and enough homeowners I think to keep things on the way up. Mind you, those are only my impressions, I never lived there, but don't think I would have a problem with doing so. It's hard to find a decent home in Sarasota anymore for under $200K, so I think that those areas are going to get more and more popular.

Like you said, long walk to DT, but short car trip. We live in Whitfield Estates, and it only takes about 5-7 minutes to get downtown. I was just telling a friend the other day how much I hated living downtown (LP) I would MUCH rather just drive the short trip and live in my beautiful and great neighborhood!

Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,506 times
I have a friend who lives in Arlington Park who loves the convenience but is very unhappy with some of her neighbors who keep their yards in disarray and don't maintain their homes. Her home is a modest cottage but very cute with a decent amount of property. Very walkable area.Unfortunately she is underwater and would take a big hit if she sold. That area is an argument for HOAs.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
I have a friend who lives in Arlington Park who loves the convenience but is very unhappy with some of her neighbors who keep their yards in disarray and don't maintain their homes. Her home is a modest cottage but very cute with a decent amount of property. Very walkable area.Unfortunately she is underwater and would take a big hit if she sold. That area is an argument for HOAs.
Thanks for the info - that sounds accurate....lots of houses are going into foreclosure since there is little hope of them ever going as high as the balances due. Nice area, but as your friend mentions, some houses and lots appear to not be kept up as well as others.

I guess it's always a trade-off....

Old 11-10-2014, 07:50 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,541 times
Gillespie Park has been "up and coming" for well over a decade now. Others can judge whether it's "come up" yet or not, or ever will for that matter.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:50 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
Gillespie Park has been "up and coming" for well over a decade now. Others can judge whether it's "come up" yet or not, or ever will for that matter.
Are you kidding me ~ 5 luxury hotels coming up all along the so called Fruitville N/S dividing line ~ I guess those developers use a bad psychic....

Old 11-14-2014, 09:58 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Are you kidding me ~ 5 luxury hotels coming up all along the so called Fruitville N/S dividing line ~ I guess those developers use a bad psychic....

But aren't those all adjacent to the trail? I would think that could help the Rosemary District. It seems far to me from Gillespie Park so I don't see how that makes Gillespie Park up and coming unless affordable housing is built for the work force at the hotels. I read in a HT article about how the 2,000 newly employed at the mall are having a really hard time finding affordable housing, so the same thing could happen with the hotel work force. But it seems like that could make it more of a rental area than an owner occupied area.

In spite of my doubts, I would love to see that area gentrify.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
But aren't those all adjacent to the trail? I would think that could help the Rosemary District. It seems far to me from Gillespie Park so I don't see how that makes Gillespie Park up and coming unless affordable housing is built for the work force at the hotels. I read in a HT article about how the 2,000 newly employed at the mall are having a really hard time finding affordable housing, so the same thing could happen with the hotel work force. But it seems like that could make it more of a rental area than an owner occupied area.

In spite of my doubts, I would love to see that area gentrify.
You are correct, they are adjacent to the Trail and may help Rosemary which I hope will come up. Sarasota destroyed its downtown when they made Fruitville (Third St.) a thorough fare years ago to get to the interstate. Downtown can't organically expand. Gillespie has the misfortune of being adjacent to Sarasota's only real ghetto, Newtown, and other than the shops that front Fruitville, will not be desirable real estate (for living) for many years if ever. Like I said before, even Laurel Park, for all it's current "trendiness" has a LOT of issues, and just be prepared for crime, noise and problems if anyone wants to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area