Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,122,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
You misunderstood his point. He is saying that the statistics are skewed because many people who live here a majority of the time do not claim it as their residence, which means the stats show fewer people here than there actually are, thus pushing up the "per/100" stats you are talking about.
Exactly. BTW, I'm a she not a he.

Reasoning and valid points do not work with this poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Exactly. BTW, I'm a she not a he.

Reasoning and valid points do not work with this poster.
My apologies. I think the word "blue" made me think you were male.

Anyway, I live here all year round, get around a fair amount, and will say it again:

Sarasota is a simple place to live, and it is easy to be safe here if you exercise a little common sense. The same cannot be said for many other cities in this country.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM

228 posts, read 483,474 times
Quote:
You misunderstood his point. He is saying that the statistics are skewed because many people who live here a majority of the time do not claim it as their residence, which means the stats show fewer people here than there actually are, thus pushing up the "per/100" stats you are talking about.

This excuse could be said for any number of places which AREN'T on the list. NYC has over 40 MILLION tourists a year, many of which commits crimes and don't claim NYC as a residence. Yet it is nowhere to be found on this list.

By using your logic how do you explain this:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedSarasota, FL Crime Rates & Sex Offenders Report
"The Sarasota crime index is 60% higher than the Florida average and and the Florida crime index is 38% higher than the National average.

The Sarasota violent crime rate is 79% higher than the Florida average and and the Florida violent crime rate is 73% higher than the National average.

The Sarasota property crime rate is 57% higher than the Florida average and and the Florida property crime rate is 34% higher than the National average."

Lol, you going to try and tell me that no other cities in Florida have tourists or transient populations? There are places in Florida that get FAR more tourists in any given year than Sarasota does, yet they have far less crime.

So once again, instead of owning up to crime in Sarasota and having a rational discussion we have the realtors of the board making excuses that don't explain anything.

Your entire "skewed statistics" argument is invalid.

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM

509 posts, read 907,806 times
Simple. Don't come here.
We'll manage to keep a stiff upper lip about it and carry on.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
Simple. Don't come here.
We'll manage to keep a stiff upper lip about it and carry on.
^^^^^This is exactly why Sarasota has such an issue with crime. Instead of admitting there is a problem and getting together as a community to figure out what can be done to solve or reduce it, you have people who think like the above poster.

Let's just all ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. Screw anyone who even dares to bring it up.

Your post reminds me of the people in the political forum who say "don't let the door hit you on the way out" anytime someone criticizes the United States. It's as if you can't say ANYTHING negative about someone's beloved ideals or they get defensive.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Ignorantomi, I don't see you spouting any ideas or solutions.
Apply everything you said to yourself.
You aren't doing any thinking here, but if you come up with anything in the near future, do tell, what is your master plan to bring peace and security to Sarasota?
Or is sitting on your a&& in front of your computer criticizing pretty much it for you?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
This excuse could be said for any number of places which AREN'T on the list. NYC has over 40 MILLION tourists a year, many of which commits crimes and don't claim NYC as a residence. Yet it is nowhere to be found on this list.

By using your logic how do you explain this:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedSarasota, FL Crime Rates & Sex Offenders Report

"The Sarasota crime index is 60% higher than the Florida average and and the Florida crime index is 38% higher than the National average.

The Sarasota violent crime rate is 79% higher than the Florida average and and the Florida violent crime rate is 73% higher than the National average.

The Sarasota property crime rate is 57% higher than the Florida average and and the Florida property crime rate is 34% higher than the National average."

Lol, you going to try and tell me that no other cities in Florida have tourists or transient populations? There are places in Florida that get FAR more tourists in any given year than Sarasota does, yet they have far less crime.

So once again, instead of owning up to crime in Sarasota and having a rational discussion we have the realtors of the board making excuses that don't explain anything.

Your entire "skewed statistics" argument is invalid.
This is getting tiresome, so I will probably bow out of this after this post. Your "lol/head in the sand" tone is a bit grating, as I'm sure you must know. You seem absolutely flabbergasted that there are people who do not agree with everything you say. There is a word for that.

I am not talking about TOURISTS. I am talking about RESIDENTS. This is unique to all the cities you mentioned. NYC does not have a huge snowbird population. Are you under the mistaken impression that Sarasota does not have a MUCH higher snowbird population per capita than pretty much any other city in Florida or anywhere else? We are talking apples and oranges.

But just to give you a brief example of objectivity and rational discourse, I will say this:

It is true that there is more crime in Sarasota than those of us who live in the better neighborhoods of Sarasota will ever see or be touched by. Am I alarmed by it? Sure, to the degree that it exists.

But those on this board who show up talking about Sarasota as if it were Gotham After Dark quite simple have very likely never lived in an urban environment in the US. I, on the other hand, have lived in many.

And the assertion that Sarasota is generally unsafe is just plain wrong.

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
Ignorantomi, I don't see you spouting any ideas or solutions.
Apply everything you said to yourself.
You aren't doing any thinking here, but if you come up with anything in the near future, do tell, what is your master plan to bring peace and security to Sarasota?
Or is sitting on your a&& in front of your computer criticizing pretty much it for you?
I don't live there anymore so it doesn't really matter to me. The only reason I posted in this board was because I was browsing around and saw the "What's wrong with Sarasota?" thread. Considering I lived there for 10 years and have lived many other places as well, I figured I could provide some good input.

I mentioned a few good things about the area and then mentioned the things I didn't like.

That's the only reason i'm here. To let other people know that Sarasota is not all beaches and art. There are shady aspects (just like most other places), but the fact that everyone on this board downplays it or flat out ignores it causes a very biased board. It's not fair to people who are looking to move here to only hear the good things and have everyone brush off some pretty major issues.

Like i've said, i'm willing to bet that a few of the regular posters here profit off of Sarasota either by being business owners or realtors.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
This is getting tiresome, so I will probably bow out of this after this post. Your "lol/head in the sand" tone is a bit grating, as I'm sure you must know. You seem absolutely flabbergasted that there are people who do not agree with everything you say. There is a word for that.

I am not talking about TOURISTS. I am talking about RESIDENTS. This is unique to all the cities you mentioned. NYC does not have a huge snowbird population. Are you under the mistaken impression that Sarasota does not have a MUCH higher snowbird population per capita than pretty much any other city in Florida or anywhere else? We are talking apples and oranges.

But just to give you a brief example of objectivity and rational discourse, I will say this:

It is true that there is more crime in Sarasota than those of us who live in the better neighborhoods of Sarasota will ever see or be touched by. Am I alarmed by it? Sure, to the degree that it exists.

But those on this board who show up talking about Sarasota as if it were Gotham After Dark quite simple have very likely never lived in an urban environment in the US. I, on the other hand, have lived in many.

And the assertion that Sarasota is generally unsafe is just plain wrong.
You capitalize residents, but earlier you were talking about snowbirds who came down and didn't claim Sarasota as a residence, and used that as your reasoning for "skewed" crime statistics. In that case they would differ from tourists only in that they stay for a longer period of time. Both tourists and snowbirds (who don't claim residence in Sarasota) aren't included in the population figures when it comes to crime (thus increasing percentages, as you said), yet are able to commit crimes or be victims. And you could compare NYC's hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants to Sarasota's snowbirds. Both aren't included in the population counts yet can drive up crime percentages.

So then using this logic, why wouldn't a place like NYC have a much higher crime rate? Don't you think that at least some of the 40 million tourists or estimated hundreds of thousands of illegals WHO DON'T CLAIM RESIDENCE commit crimes or have their wallets stolen out of their fannypacks? Surely they would drive up the crimes per 100,000 percentage due to the fact that they aren't included in NYC's population (just like snowbirds who don't claim residence aren't included in Sarasota's).

This is your exact logic. Stop trying to argue that Sarasota is so unique it that it has a decent amount of the population that isn't counted in the statistics. I'd be willing to bet that most of the major cities have higher illegal immigrant percentages than Sarasota's snow bird percentages. Yet we don't see the same startling numbers as we do in Sarasota.

And once again you bring up the "urban environment" line. With your skewed perception that because Sarasota is suburban it's safer than a city. What's laughable is that only a small number of major cities made that list. I don't see NYC, San Fran, Seattle, Minneapolis, and dozens of other medium sized cities. Why? BECAUSE THEY HAVE LESS CRIME AND ARE SAFER THAN SARASOTA.

I'm not claiming Sarasota is gotham after dark. But it does have a very real crime issue that people who are looking to move here should know about.

Instead the usual suspects on this board feed them all the lines about how wonderful the beaches are, how great the arts scene is, how beautiful the waterfront downtown is, etc. Yet you won't even mention crime. And when someone does mention it and has evidence to back it up, they get attacked.

Last edited by inspironmini; 01-20-2013 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
I don't live there anymore so it doesn't really matter to me. The only reason I posted in this board was because I was browsing around and saw the "What's wrong with Sarasota?" thread. Considering I lived there for 10 years and have lived many other places as well, I figured I could provide some good input.

I mentioned a few good things about the area and then mentioned the things I didn't like.

That's the only reason i'm here. To let other people know that Sarasota is not all beaches and art. There are shady aspects (just like most other places), but the fact that everyone on this board downplays it or flat out ignores it causes a very biased board. It's not fair to people who are looking to move here to only hear the good things and have everyone brush off some pretty major issues.

Like i've said, i'm willing to bet that a few of the regular posters here profit off of Sarasota either by being business owners or realtors.
I know it doesn't matter to you, it's obvious.

I live here NOW. I've also lived in many other states, and out of this country. I have no financial interest in how this area is viewed. I'm a disabled woman in a wheelchair, and while I, as everyone who addressed you here know full well there is crime, I feel as safe as one can in this day & age, you are being an alarmist at best, a troll at worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area