Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
You are wasting your time. NOBODY seems to be able to understand this aspect of mathematics.

Or at least they don't want to, for some weird reason.
I know. I just can't stop beating my head against that brick wall.

People still want to analyze it to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,199 times
Here is a link to a general "warning" by the FBI to look at the crime statistics carefully, and thoroughly investigate WHY the numbers may be higher or lower in a location based on many factors that could influence or skew the numbers.

FBI — Caution Against Ranking

Here are the statistics by city.

FBI — Table 8 - Florida

For reference, Sarasota stats: population 52,625, violent crime 513

Here are some cities with very little transient/ vacation/ seasonal residents for comparison, that are close to the same size as Sarasota's (full-time) population.

CITY NAME/ POPULATION/ ANNUAL VIOLENT CRIME
Sanford 54,300/ 329
Pinellas Park 49,748/ 313
Ocala 57,082/ 358
Port Orange 56,812/ 86
Bradenton 50,221/ 362
Altamonte Springs 42,062/ 173
Coconut Creek 53,630/ 112
North Port 58,139/ 160
Coral Gables 47,418/ 92

My observation: The lower crime numbers above tend to be in cities that are more rural, family-friendly and/or wealthier communities (except Ocala; not sure why there's is so high).

Here are some areas that would be considered more transient/ seasonal/ vacation locations of similar size to Sarasota:

Sarasota 52,625/ 513
Kissimmee 60,495/ 593
Fort Myers 63,147/ 770
Delray 61,347/ 564
Daytona 61,836/ 835
Pensacola 52,631/ 383
Panama City + Beach 49,163/ 400
Palm Beach Gardens 49,112/ 101
Jupiter 55,908/ 146

After looking at these numbers, my conclusion is that Sarasota's crime rates are in line with other seasonal/ vacation cities, similar to size.

Maybe people looking for a place to move should be looking at Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:58 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,992 times
If they don't want to know the information, they're not going to click the link.

It is, of course, a definitive post you made. Well done.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM

8,099 posts, read 4,649,585 times
I agree Sarasota is dangerous - but not because of crime.

It's the bad drivers. It seems I read just about once a week of a pedestrian getting hit by a car in the area. And to make matters worse it seems many are hit & run. Oh and then there are the numerous motorcycle accidents.......

Just today I was driving on Hwy. 41 in the rain - and sure enough some idiot was tailgaiting me - then squeezed in front of me when there wasn't enough space. I was going right around the speed limit so I'm not an old granny driver. I was being cautious (and smart) by not rushing in the wet driving conditions. Bunch of dumb idiot drivers here.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM

43 posts, read 85,530 times
Reasons I can think of:

1. Newtown, enough said. I work next to it and drive through it all the time, horrid place. Gunshots galore.
2. Drivers, absolute bedlam because everyone is from all over the country and has no idea how to navigate around each other. Also, age....
3. Weather, although it hasn't taken a direct hit by a hurricane in many years, it will sooner than later; Hurricane, tornado, flood and lightning threats are some of the highest in the country in this area.
4. Wildlife, as with all of Florida, we have the most biodiversity of any state, which means more poisonous/deadly creatures.

Easy to stay safe though, prepare for approaching storms, stay out of Newtown (and surrounding area), and try to stay right and drive calm. As for wildlife, that's mostly chance I guess.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,686 times
it is really pretty simple. you have well off people with money. you have people that have nothing and nothing to lose. throw in the tourists that think they are in a place where all is good and there is no need to be on guard and its easy pickings from the affluent by the street urchins.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 AM

252 posts, read 371,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Once again, they take ALL crimes, including those committed by tourists and divide by permenent population.

It skews the numbers.
I understand your point, but it would skew the numbers for every other tourist destination in Florida though too. Plus I don't think that tourists are committing much reportable crime beyond spring break shoplifting and assault maybe. I would think that the vast majority of hard-core crime is native to the area.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM

216 posts, read 564,463 times
Unfortunately, when you make negative comments having to do with Florida, you will be ridiculed and basically will be made to look ignorant. I understand the crime rate and believe them as the OP has stated and no, I don't believe tourists escalate the crime rate. I've yet to see an advertisement promoting a 4 day stay at a prominent Sarasota hotel which includes a midnight hold-up of a gas station. Tourists, really? The crime rate is ignored, or brushed off, because after 9 pm, driveway gates or community gates are locked, doors and windows closed and locked with the blinds drawn, lights are off, and most everyone is tucked in for the night. If I run out to the store late at night, I swear I'm driving through a ghost town. I lived in a population comparable town/city in the North East to where I live now in Florida. Statistics show the crime rate as actually slightly higher than hear in Florida yet I never can feel completely safe for my family here because not of the crime, but the brutality of them. Reports of crime are the stuff of nightmares here in Florida. For the 1st time in my life, I don't care to watch the local news. I ignore it like many others but I ignore it for different reasons.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM

182 posts, read 272,845 times
Mike, you are correct that it sometimes seems that only rah-rah boosterism is allowed at many Florida sites....crime in Sarasota is underreported, in fact, to avoid discouraging tourism. As for the notion that tourists commit violent crimes, that is really quite amusing. Sure, there is crime everywhere, though one place will vary from another based on degree. But hucksters want to promote the idea that Florida is the perfect "paradise"....no crime! no humidity! everybody happy, all the time! so buy a house here! take a vacation here!-----such misinformation does a disservice to the mission of this form, which is the give outsiders accurate information about climate, job prospects, public safety, and so forth, so they can make well-informed decisions.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 PM

216 posts, read 564,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
Mike, you are correct that it sometimes seems that only rah-rah boosterism is allowed at many Florida sites....crime in Sarasota is underreported, in fact, to avoid discouraging tourism. As for the notion that tourists commit violent crimes, that is really quite amusing. Sure, there is crime everywhere, though one place will vary from another based on degree. But hucksters want to promote the idea that Florida is the perfect "paradise"....no crime! no humidity! everybody happy, all the time! so buy a house here! take a vacation here!-----such misinformation does a disservice to the mission of this form, which is the give outsiders accurate information about climate, job prospects, public safety, and so forth, so they can make well-informed decisions.
Excellent, my thoughts exactly. I live in Florida, and I don't like it here. I have my reasons, some of which I don't consider too far out. When I have shared them, I felt berated and often times began an argument with other posters. Often times, I wanted to reply to other posters questions but thought why bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area