Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times

Advertisements

Would love to make some suggestions, but if you are listed with a real estate agent (and it appears that you are), we agents have to be very careful not to say anything that could be seen as interference with your listing with that agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 AM

128 posts, read 424,106 times
Thanks SoFLGal

Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
As someone who bought a home within the last couple of years and read many MLS blurbs--
I think ignoring a feature like the shutters and the fees you have covered is a mistake--
But I wonder how those two factors will impact the price you are asking--
IF you are priced above your market for same sq ft then those two amenities justify the higher psf price...
it can be difficult to rationalize a higher price if individual amenities aren't spelled out...

The house we bought specified recent improvements done by sellers--
some of which weren't visible on a walk through...even though it wasn't priced significantly higher than similar ones in same neighborhood cause we got a deal on a relo move just before market picked up..
I would have been more than happy to have gotten new hurricane shutters as well...

Old 05-21-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks again for all help and advice. I am in the process of writing my own description that includes the points which should make my house stand out. Any suggestions (by pm if preferred) appreciated and in confidence. It is quite hard to make a description that sounds professional and yet stands out from the crowd.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,836 times
Accordian hurricane shutters would have been a big plus when we were looking for a new home (7 years ago) and in Stoneybrook it would be a way to make your home stand out from other properties.

Ditto the CDD but many people are not even aware of that before they buy. I agree with the poster that said spell the money saved out and show how much they will be saving monthly/yearly. It's possible your realtor does not want to step on any other Stoneybrook owners toes (esp. if they have any other properties listed there). Communities with CDD's like to keep it hush-hush. I would personally would get a realtor who doesn't object to stating these benefits because they will not be passing them along in conversation with other realtors (who may not be as aware of CDD's).

Having bought and sold a lot of property over the years I discovered that a realtor is not always focused on what is best for me. They have other listings, loyalties to other sellers, etc, etc. Not all realtors are the same. Because I am not a realtor I can say a lot of things realtors cannot. If this realtor doesn't seem as strongly in your corner as you wish (such as what you described) then switch realtors. Unless it's your sister-in-law there is no reason to stick with them.

I lost money sticking with a particular realtor too long.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:55 PM

213 posts, read 575,713 times
These are good secondary marketing points, but don't expect to get a single extra penny out of the house in your per sqft value. We almost bought a house with a whole house generator system (very high cost) - I would love to have had that - the purchase price was no extra above market because of it. The house needed very costly updating throughout so that really killed the deal... we moved on to a house that had the kitchen already completely redone.

People often make up their minds about a house often within the first 60 seconds of walking in - bells & whistles are nice but don't usually make or break sales.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
The house we bought--because of the kitchen remodeling--lost the small pantry that seems to be normal for a 70s house--
that was one question all the people who came to look asked--where was the pantry?
The sellers were using a hall closet for their needs--
so think that turned off lot of people...when we offered our bid there was only one other offer--and it had been on market for 2-3 weeks by then..lots of showing but just one offer+ours...

We wanted the house pantry or not because of location next to our daughter--but that isn't the case for most house shoppers...
We ordered a pantry from the unfinished furniture store on 41 and had it painted same color as the walls...it fits just around the corner from the fridge in small area by the patio slider--
small space but effective storage...
and painted like the wall not that noticeable either...makes all the difference to me in having space close to the kitchen...

Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Thank you David. Venice is a lovely little town with much more happening all the time and so easy to get to larger towns both north and south. Sometimes we need to blow our own trumpets and let other people now the benefits.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 AM

126 posts, read 156,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet2007 View Post
I am looking to sell my house in Venice. I have recently had accordion hurricane shutters installed to all openings and across the lanai making a good enclosed space. I have also paid off the CDD, which I understand can put people off buying in certain communities. My question is this. Should the realtor make a feature of these 2 things to help my house stand out from others. I would have thought so, but the realtor told me it was not good to make people think of hurricanes and only mentions the CDD as a single statement at the end of the description. Any thoughts and suggestions please, or do I change realtors.
As someone who wants to move into the SW area, from NY, even doing just basic research (which I think for people moving from another state probably research more than that), you know FL has hurricanes. I never heard of CDD until I read these boards (which I found doing a basic google search). Personally I want full disclosure, which means all the positives and negatives. Hurricane shutters, major positive, paid off CDD which saves your buyer money, also a huge positive.

If I found a nice house online in a good area, and I am coming down to look at homes to buy before I move to the state, highlight the crap out of that listing, it would only make me more likely to put it on my list of "I need to see this house while I am there". If the word "hurricane" puts someone off, then they in my opinion are not really buyers for a florida property and not someone you should worry about putting off by your listing description.

And if already lived in FL, and was buying a new home, I already know of hurricanes and would be consider new hurricane shutters in a potential purchase as a positive.

my $0.02

Old 05-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Thanks NeilDiamond for your tuppence worth, very reassuring.
If you want a nice 4 bed, 3 bath house please let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area