Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,987 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if there was a link or current map available so I could see how the island is set up for zoning of rental properties. I did find a map on the gov site from 2011 but didn't know if there was anything newer available.
Not interested in a rental but actually the opposite. Was hoping to see if there were any quieter, more full time residential areas on the island to buy a home? I realize AMI has become crazy with rentals so what I'm looking for may not even exist.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by PixiStix; 07-10-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM

707 posts, read 1,051,641 times
The further east you go on AMI the less likelihood of there being a lot of rental properties. You are right that rentals on AMI are proliferous and you can't entirely escape rentals on most streets. As you drive the streets the most rented properties are listed with real estate or management companies, usually with signs in the yards, which should give you some kind of indication of what streets to avoid.

If it helps, the locals are highly intolerant of noise and parking violations and the city of Anna Maria actively enforces their regulation of rental properties.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:20 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the info!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 AM

252 posts, read 371,031 times
An excellent question, and one that we've wrestled with too. As far as I can tell, AMI is about 60% visible rentals, and who knows how many don't have signs on them. We liked Bean Point and the town of Anna Maria, but the rentals were a turn off. I suppose back on the bay, or near the little golf course would be better. Bradenton Beach area seems like Party Town, Holmes Beach is where the condos are, and Anna Maria is where the houses are, but it's almost entirely rentals, and getting worse every day.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Anna Maria has gotten really bad for rentals. I think probably the quietest area would be Holmes Beach, at least it seems that way to me. Anna Maria as a whole is a great place to go and visit and have fun, but living there - not so much. Seems like all the beach areas are like that anymore.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Thanks, that is really what I was afraid of.. I'm used to the pitfalls of living on a barrier island but was concerned about a disproportionate amount of rentals on AMI.

I read where the town recently changed rental rules in some of the residential neighborhoods to 30 days or more. Maybe that will help or at least contain the tourists to a certain part of the island.

It's a shame, AMI seems like it would be a perfect place to live & while I understand the need for tourist revenue, for such a small area, it would be nice if it were balanced out with more full timers.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Thanks, that is really what I was afraid of.. I'm used to the pitfalls of living on a barrier island but was concerned about a disproportionate amount of rentals on AMI.

I read where the town recently changed rental rules in some of the residential neighborhoods to 30 days or more. Maybe that will help or at least contain the tourists to a certain part of the island.

It's a shame, AMI seems like it would be a perfect place to live & while I understand the need for tourist revenue, for such a small area, it would be nice if it were balanced out with more full timers.
AMI is a great place to live ~ if you don't need to leave the island on the weekends during season...as I've mentioned previously, built my house on Key Royale with my husband over 18 years ago prior to the "tear one old Florida home down so you can put up two income producing rentals at the minimum setback" came to pass.

Many of the rental signs have been up "forever" and the rental zoning issue has been an issue since the early 90's when we landed there ~ good luck!!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 PM

Thanks Lady- we certainly don't mind chilling at home on the weekends . We actually have had to do that occasionally here on Siesta during season- sometimes it's just not worth getting out & fighting the crowds so we just throw some steaks on the grill.

I'm not sure AMI would be a good fit but we are going to spend some more time visiting to get a better feel. As much as I love the vibe there, as many have said, I fear the traffic & crowds might be too much for us. Unless I can find a quiet little spot on the island somewhere.....

Old 07-12-2014, 09:31 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,641 times
You might also want to check out Manasota Key as well as AMI during your next visit. The crowds are far less, but the trade-off, for me anyway, is the quality of the beach sand. It's most similar to the sand on the beac on Sanibel: coarser, more shells, not as white as AMI or Siesta Key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area