Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,319 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are hoping to get some opinions on a few areas of Sarasota/Bradenton that we are considering for a condo purchase.

With a budget of up to $225K, we are looking to purchase a 2 to 3 bedroom condo in the west Bradenton/Cortez area or the Sarasota area along the 41 corridor (essentially downtown near the 41/301 split to as far south as Osprey-Nokomis). We are not interested in Lakewood Ranch or the surrounding developments, or living along 75 and University Parkway.

Here is a bit of background... We are relocating from the Midwest, we own a boat that we will be keeping at a marina. We both enjoy outdoor activities and the ocean/beaches. I will be transferring to a business in Sarasota, and my husband works from home and will travel to Tampa International once a month for travel for work, so we aren't too concerned with daily commuting. We are in our late 40s with young adult children who will be living with us off and on as they go back and forth to college etc. We also have a 100-pound Giant Schnauzer (ding ding potential condo problem!) and a smaller 25-pound mixed breed dog, so we need a dog-friendly place.

Any recommendations for areas to consider? We want to live close to city amenities, like shopping, restaurants, etc. We also want community amenities (a community marina would be a bonus) such as a pool, tennis courts, walking trails, etc. A community, for example, that caught our eye, was Pelican Cove. Its units do not have garages, though, and a storage space or garage might be important since we can only downsize so much. I know Lakewood Ranch has close by shopping, etc., but it doesn't interest us because it's to far from the water and any marinas nearby 75 would be so far down the Manatee river that it could take 30 minutes to reach the bay. We have visited Lakewood, Heritage Harbor, and Grey Hawk and felt the neighborhoods were too suburban for our tastes. We'd like to be able to bike, walk, or drive to Trader Joe's, Publix, downtown to a restaurant... that kind of feel. Even though western Bradenton isn't obviously within walking distance to TJ's, we are considering it because we've heard there are restaurants etc. in the area, and the area is situated nicely for boating and beaches.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:31 AM

118 posts, read 182,379 times
Tidewater Preserve has condo units (called carriage homes on their website) and single family homes and tennis courts/amenity center/walking trail/garages/pet friendly and an onsite marina. It's closer to 75 than you are looking for, but it is directly on the Manatee and only a 15 minute drive to the Riverwalk and downtown Bradenton. The new condo units start a little above your price range (240,000) but you may be able to get a resale for less. You could bike to the nearest Publix. There is one at the intersection of 48th St and 64. Best of luck in your search!

Ruth

Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
The Inlets in Nokomis comes to mind. Community marina, they are villas and not traditional condos (although they may have condos too- I can't remember), but a very nice community in a great location.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:37 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
As you are probably already aware, there are few condo communities that allow 100 lb or 100 lb plus pets in our area.

Pelican Cove does allow 2 pets, maximum 150 lbs.

Stonehaven, an almost new townhome community on Clark Rd by Honore allows 2 pets, no weight restrictions. But it's obviously not on the water so you would have to rent a boat slip elsewhere.

Fair Winds in Nokomis is a 55+ community that allows 2 pets, no weight restrictions. Boat docks are available there on a first come basis, you may have to go on a wait list for a space. Because these were built in the 1960's and are located within a flood zone, villas here will be impacted by the changes to the national flood insurance program (there are several threads on this forum about the topic).

Sorrento Villas in Sorrento East in Nokomis allow 2 pets, no weight restrictions. But this is not a water front community, so you would have to rent a boat slip elsewhere.

In NW Bradenton --

Palma Sola Harbour allows 2 pets 100+ lbs. Those are older villas, built in the 70's, but the villas do have private boat docks behind the units.

Palma Sola Trace, which you know of, allows 4 pets max 175 lbs in the newest built units, pet restrictions for those built 2012 I think are 100 lb maximum. So if I were you I would verify on the weights.

There are a few others that allow 100 or 100+ lb but limit owners to 1 pet per unit, so I won't mention those. For any community you are considering, I would ask for the condo docs and read the pet restrictions myself before signing any offers. I can't tell you how many times agents have the info wrong in the MLS.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:13 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
You might think about a house in Arlington Park. It is an older neighborhood with large trees, very conveniently located, near the downtown marina, with walking to your choice of 2 Publix, a Trader Joes, the Hillview restaurant area, and downtown. The homes that are well maintained are charming. The ones that are not well maintained don't really detract from the neighborhood, but I would think twice about buying one. The actual park in Arlington Park is beautiful. A house would get you out of the condo vs dog problem.

Arlington Park Sarasota FL Homes For Sale & Arlington Park Real Estate - Zillow

https://www.scgov.net/parks/Pages/ArlingtonPark.aspx

Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM

707 posts, read 1,052,359 times
There is a marina in Osprey and Blackburn Point Rd. There is a good choice of housing in that area in your price range in Nokomis and Opsrey, and you are literally about halfway between Sarasota and Venice, with easy access to I-75 and TIA.

There's also a marina/rackominium in Sarasota on Phillippi Creek that is close to a Trader Joe's, downtown, and Siesta Key beaches. You could be in The Landings, River Forest, Gulf Gate, or anywhere in popular Palmer Ranch, though that may be too suburban for your tastes if you didn't like Lakewood Ranch or Greyhawk Landing.

East of the Trail near Sarasota Memorial Hospital, in what I call the "Investors Rectangle" south of Bahia Vista, west of Beneva, north of Bee Ridge and east of Tamiami Trail, there are plenty of older homes that are a quick walk or bike ride to a lot of amenities. Arlington Park, Hyde Park, and South Gate are all neighborhoods that would have a range of housing in your price range.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,319 times
Thank you, we appreciate all the input so far.

By chance, is anyone familiar with the following areas in Bradenton - Spring Lake, Wildewood Springs, and Palma Sola Harbor? Any outstanding pro/cons for these areas? Any of these that should be avoided?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydg View Post
Thank you, we appreciate all the input so far.

By chance, is anyone familiar with the following areas in Bradenton - Spring Lake, Wildewood Springs, and Palma Sola Harbor? Any outstanding pro/cons for these areas? Any of these that should be avoided?
Yes, I am familiar with them. Palma Sola Harbour, as I mentioned in a previous post, would fit your pet requirements. The other 2 would not due to pet weight restrictions being 35 lbs or less.

I love the architecture of the Wildewood Springs condos, the grounds with large trees and mature landscaping, beautiful lake, the fact that they have a nature preserve within the community. Unlike some condo communities with only 1 pool, Wildewood Springs has 7, including a decent sized lap pool. There are also some 3 bedroom units in this complex, which are rare for an older condo community in Bradenton. I think the prices are lower than similar condo communities in the area because owners have to wait 2 years after purchase before they can rent out the units in most sections of this community, which keeps out a lot of investor buyers. Many of the units I've seen need some serious updating.

The architecture of Spring Lakes is similar to Wildewood Springs. Some of the units have deeded carports. The grounds here also have a lot of wooded areas and mature landscaping for those who like tall trees. Villas have private patio areas. The community pool is rather small for the size of the community. Spring Lakes also has some 1700+ sq ft 3 bedroom units that come on the market from time to time. This community also has rental restrictions in that buyers cannot rent out their units for 2 years after purchase. Many of the units I've seen here also need some serious updating unless you are in love with 80's decor.

Palma Sola Harbour does offer boat docks on the deep water canals, either private or shared with a neighbor. Great location, beautiful grounds. Fantastic views of Palma Sola bay. Nice community center with decent amenities as well. There's a community park with it's own pier. Some villas have garages, others have carports. This community does not allow pick up trucks. Boats require association approval. These are 1970's built and located within a flood zone, so changes to the national flood insurance program would be applicable. I would be sure to talk to the condo association, ask questions concerning their flood insurance rates, what are the projected rate increases, etc. I think at least one of the sections has lower pet weight restrictions, so be sure to ask about that as well. You wouldn't want to buy in a section that only allows 35 lb dogs if you have a 100 lb pet.

There are a number of reasonably priced condo communities in that area of west Bradenton, some of them are 55+ communities. I've spent quality time showing condos in that area in the past few months. The area also has quite a few older but nice subdivisions of various price points, including some very nice neighborhoods near the water that actually have canal front lots. The west Bradenton area is a short drive from Anna Maria Island, which offers great beaches and restaurants, and a fairly short drive from downtown Bradenton and the riverfront park that is becoming a great events spot. You are also close to the Cortez fishing village, a couple of golf courses and quite a few shopping centers (but not a major mall).

The biggest negative to me is the commute time to Sarasota, because you either have to go west and drive south down Longboat Key to downtown Sarasota or take Cortez over to US41 and drive south. Neither are short drive times because of 35 - 45 mph speed limits and traffic lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area