Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
^1905 Salad. It's good, but part of the shtick is also that they've served the same recipe since 1905.

That's interesting the pork and paella sucked? That's like their bread and butter dishes. I bet the waitress was alarmed!

But I tell you what, I've eaten at every Columbia but the one in St Augustine, and the only one that ever screwed stuff up was the one in Sarasota. Maybe they have a crap chef there or something.
My dad worked at the ORIGINAL Columbia in Tampa for 23 years. That was the "go-to" place for all the celebrities that ever came to town, and he got to serve may of them (Marilyn Monroe!) Anyway, back then the food was GREAT there,not sure how it is now. But did you know it is Florida's OLDEST restaurant? It is also Sarasota's oldest restaurant. Originally founded in 1905 (Tampa). I agree, the one in Sarasota falls short sometimes. I have had some decent food there, and other food not so good. It might depend on how busy they are. I do like that salad.

Here is a link to Columbia's interesting history:

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/history.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:30 PM

434 posts, read 531,043 times
The one is Ybor is rock steady. In my experience, you get the same thing, every time.

My favorite spot was always the one at the sucky old St Pete Pier though. It has an awesome water view of the bay. Especially awesome to eat there while some storms rolled in and you could watch their progress.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 11,682 times
Never judge a restaurant by what it serves on Christmas. You get the second string staff.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 PM

159 posts, read 322,098 times
I have heard that Taste of Asia is really really good! Serve Vegan...

Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
my go to restaurant in sarasota is actually in bradenton- Derek's casual dining on SR64 around 55th. Food to die for.
Second choice, Columbia for Spanish cuisine.
Cafe Baci for italian
I'm so sorry that Derek moved to Bradenton, as we used to walk to his place in the Rosemary District.
But we still come up to B'town to dine there.

Our new "Go TO" place however is Indigenous, in Towles Court. With Darwin's a close 2nd.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,705 times
gypsychic -- On the front page of "Community News" is an article about Poppos, mentioning the SR-70/Lockwood location opening in the spring. But the main article focus was that they are adding another location still, to the Shoppes at University Town Center for a 1791sqft location late summer.

Looks like you'll be taco'd out soon enough.

Ben

Old 12-31-2014, 06:38 PM

434 posts, read 531,043 times
Taco-Mex themes are very hot right now in the restaurant industry. Numerous markets are seeing a similar eruption of growth in the segment. It'll get totally oversaturated soon enough, the same way that rotisserie chicken, pizza, wings and subs, etc have all in the past.

It's always a shame when an industry segment does well enough to draw Wall St's attention. Those sociopaths take the humanity out of everything they touch.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:04 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,635 times
Since moving down here from CT we have been really impressed with Crab and Fin in St Armonds...ate there 3x so far, always top knotch with a unique menu.

Before our home was built in Parrish we rented in Bradenton and the Greek place in SR 64 close to fresh Market we thought was excellent for a quick meal, I forget the name of it.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:40 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Since moving down here from CT we have been really impressed with Crab and Fin in St Armonds...ate there 3x so far, always top knotch with a unique menu.

Before our home was built in Parrish we rented in Bradenton and the Greek place in SR 64 close to fresh Market we thought was excellent for a quick meal, I forget the name of it.
The last time we ate out, the dinners at the next table were raving on and on about that Crab and Fin. Mentally put it on the must-try list. Derek's is on the list too.

Chutney's on Hillview is pretty good, though a bit pricy. It is Indian and Mediterranean. We ate off the Indian side of the menu, and the flavors were complex and interesting. I liked the atmosphere too. Wouldn't be a regular go to, but nice and worth going back to.

For good, reasonably priced seafood, we like KaCey's Seafood on Fruitville near Honore.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:38 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
The last time we ate out, the dinners at the next table were raving on and on about that Crab and Fin. Mentally put it on the must-try list. Derek's is on the list too.

Chutney's on Hillview is pretty good, though a bit pricy. It is Indian and Mediterranean. We ate off the Indian side of the menu, and the flavors were complex and interesting. I liked the atmosphere too. Wouldn't be a regular go to, but nice and worth going back to.

For good, reasonably priced seafood, we like KaCey's Seafood on Fruitville near Honore.
I wondered about that place. I went to a dance class in that plaza (studio right next door) I might have to give it a try. What is the average dinner price (just meal, not extras)

ETA: Never mind, found the menu online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area