Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times

Advertisements

We haven't been going out to eat as much this visit but just wanted to make some comments about some restaurants we have been to --

We used to really enjoy going to Spanish Point--loved the lobster bisque and service was friendly even if it could be crowded and noisy--but the last 3-4 times we have been there (and this is spread over 4-6 months) we have been very disappointed every time...the menu has changed--no lobster bisque and the food doesn't seem as good--french fries have come out cold from the kitchen even when place is only half full...the shrimp have been overcooked...hamburger not cooked as ordered...small things but just indications that someone is not paying attention...service has been lax and almost rude at times...
all in all, we don't think we will be back since we haven't had a positive experience whenever we have gone back to give them a "second chance"...
If anyone eats there regularly and has any insight into why it seems service and food have declined in last 6 mo would appreciate the info--
our SIL and daughter rarely go out to eat since they had the baby and haven't been there recently...

Last night we went to Rosebud's--yes, I know--not terribly adventurous food or exciting ambience--but we needed a reservation for 10 adults+high chair and were able to get one yesterday morning--it was my husband's birthday and our SIL had his family in for Christmas as well...
we were seated on time (5:45 but we had a 2 yr old who eats at 6), had great waitress. Needed a gluten/dairly free dinner which happened without any problems. Service was maybe a little slow but there were several large parties there and that always makes more work for the kitchen but it wasn't unreasonably slow--and they did bring out our grandson's meal early as my daughter requested...
Tea was fresh brewed and not watered down so that was great and everyone enjoyed their dinner...we had two salmon dishes, pork chops, fried fish, and several prime ribs so a variety off the menu--and everything came out hot...
So all in all, we were pleased with dining there...

We are still looking for a good Mexican restaurant--have tried Mi Pueblo (our daughter's favorite), Plaza Mexico, decent but not that great, and Chicano's -- and couple of the fast-food chains--none of them are that great to us even though we hear other diners making very positive comments about their meals...
I have found NO Mexican restaurant that serves hot chips (like fresh from the fryer or kept warm in oven)--
most of them taste like they are bagged/stale--and while that might seem unimportant, if you have ever been served fresh, hot chips then you know the difference...

We have also been to Cedar Reef Fish Camp in south Venice (Chili's shopping strip) and like it--very popular and thus crowded--come after 6 and usually have good wait--
unpretentious but good food in casual/small cafe setting--

we have avoided Sharkey's for over a year now I guess (after hearing from someone who worked in the kitchen) and have no desire to try the new place next door...

These of course are our perceptions and others have theirs which differ--
and as I said we haven't been eating out that much either--
so it would be nice to hear from others of you with wider knowledge and more adventurous tastes--
if anyone has good Thai or Vietnamese would like to know--our son and DIL are here for couple of more days and we all enjoy those styles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,791 times
Once a restaurant gives me mediocre food or service, I give them one more chance. If either one is bad instead of mediocre, they don't eve get that.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:30 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
I would give both of these restaurants a "B". The only "A" restaurant meals I have had since moving here have been fish. My palette was shaped in CA so if things don't taste like they did there, I am less than thrilled. But that said, I would go to both of these again.

The Grasshopper - El Chapulin - Sarasota, FL | Yelp

I am looking forward to going back to Grasshoppers and trying their homemade tamales.

Bangkok Restaurant - Sarasota, FL | Yelp

Even if the food disappoints, the atmosphere is fun.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I would give both of these restaurants a "B". The only "A" restaurant meals I have had since moving here have been fish. My palette was shaped in CA so if things don't taste like they did there, I am less than thrilled. But that said, I would go to both of these again.

The Grasshopper - El Chapulin - Sarasota, FL | Yelp

I am looking forward to going back to Grasshoppers and trying their homemade tamales.

Bangkok Restaurant - Sarasota, FL | Yelp

Even if the food disappoints, the atmosphere is fun.
I agree with Bangkok for Thai - love that place.

For Vietnamese we LOVE the little place on the north Trail called LeAnhs - food is fresh and so delicious. We haven't been disappointed yet. It is small and nothing fancy, but they do have a few beer and wine selections.

For Mexican, I have no suggestions. The only Mexican place I have ever really loved, was the tiny place in San Antonio (Fl, not Texas!) north of Tampa called Pancho's Villa. It was run by two Mexican brothers, in a small old cottage and yes, they had fresh salsa and chips out of the fryer, so I know what you mean. No place down here has been like that. However, I have heard good things about this place:

http://www.poppostacos.com/

Two locations, one on Anna Maria, one on Manatee. I will have to give it a try.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:37 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
http://www.poppostacos.com/

Two locations, one on Anna Maria, one on Manatee. I will have to give it a try.
....and a third location being built in front of Publix on SR-70 @ Lockwood Ridge. The building is up, and their coming soon sign is up, but it still has what looks to be 2 months of construction left before they can open.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:44 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
....and a third location being built in front of Publix on SR-70 @ Lockwood Ridge. The building is up, and their coming soon sign is up, but it still has what looks to be 2 months of construction left before they can open.
Really? Wow, that is awesome! Another great business to go along with the new ALDI and the new big Detwiler's opening up down the road from there (on Lockwood Ridge) That is going to be my "go-to" shopping location!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 PM

434 posts, read 531,043 times
Bangkok Thai is the first Thai I ever had. Parents of the longterm gf I had who lived in Palmer Ranch took us there regularly. They had lived in SE Asia for several years during the 60s and 70s (they were in the CIA. Seriously!), and it was their go to place for authentic Thai.

edit... Otherwise, my Sarasota favs that I can think of right now are Yoder's, the Columbia and Tommy Bahama's at St Armands Circle, Phillipe Creek Oyster Bar (I think that's the name? It's right at the creek and US41), Munchies, Dolce Italia and the Chicago Beef place in Gulf Gate... and the local chain Shells (which I think is closed?).

Last edited by JasonAnc; 12-28-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 10:38 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,791 times
my go to restaurant in sarasota is actually in bradenton- Derek's casual dining on SR64 around 55th. Food to die for.
Second choice, Columbia for Spanish cuisine.
Cafe Baci for italian

Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
my go to restaurant in sarasota is actually in bradenton- Derek's casual dining on SR64 around 55th. Food to die for.
Second choice, Columbia for Spanish cuisine.
Cafe Baci for italian
Hubby & I went to the Columbia on Christmas day. The Sangria was the best I have ever had. The bread was good. My paella was disappointing. Too salty and the seafood in it was tasteless. Hubby had the Christmas special which was Cuban Pork and it was not very good either. The waitress was alarmed we ate so little of our meals and didn't want to take the leftovers with us.

I have heard the 1923 salad is good. What do you order there? I assume we just ordered the wrong things.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:22 PM

434 posts, read 531,043 times
^1905 Salad. It's good, but part of the shtick is also that they've served the same recipe since 1905.

That's interesting the pork and paella sucked? That's like their bread and butter dishes. I bet the waitress was alarmed!

But I tell you what, I've eaten at every Columbia but the one in St Augustine, and the only one that ever screwed stuff up was the one in Sarasota. Maybe they have a crap chef there or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area