Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,555,064 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, we're moving into a house in Rotonda toward the end of July. I would love to have FIOS but it's not available. I checked into Century Link for internet and the max speed is a whooping 3Mbps download speed. TOTALLY unacceptable for working remotely.

So, it would appear that Comcast is the only game in town for us. That said, while staying at our friends place in Placida recently, we had a first hand experience with a newly installed line and Comcast service. I was continually having to reboot the router.

I read a report from someone who said they replaced the default router with one they purchased and that solved the constant reboot issue. Problem is, apparently they're snowbirds and are in Cape Cod so she couldn't tell me what make or model they purchased.

Has anyone else experienced the need to continually reboot, and if so have purchased routers helped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
Sounds like their router had a problem more than anything else. You can get your own but my parents had a Comcast-supplied wireless router and it was fine. I don't know the speed but I do know my step-dad would not have suffered a slow speed for long.

If I were in the market to purchase one, I'd start with this.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Sounds like their router had a problem more than anything else. You can get your own but my parents had a Comcast-supplied wireless router and it was fine. I don't know the speed but I do know my step-dad would not have suffered a slow speed for long.

If I were in the market to purchase one, I'd start with this.
Thanks - I"d looked around for routers I was fishing for someone with first hand experience with the issue and resolution. When we were in Placida, the contract was for 25Mbps service - probably averaged 22 but that's tolerable. What was intolerable was constantly rebooting to regain connection. Wasn't a interference issue as that network was the only one in the vicinity. I even disconnected our phone to ensure it wasn't fighting with the router. I tried both the 2.4MHz as well as the 5MHz connections - no difference. MTU looked in a decent range, tried different channels... etc

Old 06-11-2015, 06:49 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,162 times
I had the problem you describe up north when I had a separate modem and router. Modem supplied by Comcast, router was ours. We installed Comcast here in Venice last season with a Comcast supplied combo modem/router and did not have any problems. When we got back up north last Spring, I called Comcast and got the same combo modem/router we have in Venice and the problems went away. Turns out they charge you something like $7 for the modem only and the combo is the same price, so I didn't need my own equipment and now if there is a problem, they can't push it off as our equipment.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I had the problem you describe up north when I had a separate modem and router. Modem supplied by Comcast, router was ours. We installed Comcast here in Venice last season with a Comcast supplied combo modem/router and did not have any problems. When we got back up north last Spring, I called Comcast and got the same combo modem/router we have in Venice and the problems went away. Turns out they charge you something like $7 for the modem only and the combo is the same price, so I didn't need my own equipment and now if there is a problem, they can't push it off as our equipment.
Interesting point about "they can't push it off as our equipment." I guess our best bet is to just go with them and deal with tech support if we have issues.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:03 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
I know from past experience <sigh> that they can sometimes have issues with overheating but I think it is usually just a matter of either updating the firmware or changing the settings so the router isn't dealing with as much traffic all at once. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but I've read that they can get overloaded by trying to do too much at once.

But, if you end up renting the Comcast equipment, I'd just make them keep replacing it until you get a good one.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:05 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,447,826 times
We bought a high-speed modem and wireless router from Best Buy. Had to replace it when we had a lightning strike, installed a surge protector. Equipment is better than the stock equipment Comcast sells. NOTE-there are two types of wireless routers. Some are single band, some are dual band. For the non-gamer typical user, the single band is more than adequate.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I know from past experience <sigh> that they can sometimes have issues with overheating but I think it is usually just a matter of either updating the firmware or changing the settings so the router isn't dealing with as much traffic all at once. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but I've read that they can get overloaded by trying to do too much at once.

But, if you end up renting the Comcast equipment, I'd just make them keep replacing it until you get a good one.
Yep, I think that's gonna be the plan of attack. Thanks

Old 06-11-2015, 08:47 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,005,586 times
Here is the link for approved Comcast modems DOCSIS Devices
I just replaced my old 2003 surfboard modem with a new Arris 6141 and it works just fine. 20mbps download speed.
Just me, but I never lease equipment from them. I prefer to have my own equipment.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:18 AM

141 posts, read 212,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Interesting point about "they can't push it off as our equipment." I guess our best bet is to just go with them and deal with tech support if we have issues.
One defective modem is a hardware defect. Multiple failures implies something wrong with the connection. One obvious mistake is the incoming cable not routed where AC electric also enters. And both hardwired to the same earth ground electrode. Multiple separate grounds or a missing ground to either creates harmful voltages inside the house - either as noise or in rare cases can cause a hardware failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area