Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,843,251 times

Advertisements

Got a quick question from my SIL -- she has moved into an association with 3 dogs. She wants to get more, but the HOA wants to put a cap at 2 dogs. This new rule is after she moved in and she will be grandfathered in, but won't be able to have any more dogs. Is this legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 11:08 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
I can't give you anything that resembles legal advice but my impression from previous experience is that she needs to look at the existing HOA docs to see what it says about rule changes. Only a real estate attorney can answer your question with authority and, even then, don't forget that every court case has an attorney on one side arguing they are right and another attorney on the other side saying they are not.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM

252 posts, read 371,414 times
Associations can change their rules pretty much anytime, if majority rules. Existing pets would be grandfathered in, but adding pets after the rule change would be a no no. I guess she would need to stock up on pets before the change takes effect.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:17 AM

19 posts, read 35,028 times
3 is not enough?

Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
Our own HOA is in the process of changing some of the deed restrictions. HOA covenants generally have provisions as to how amendments can be made to the existing rules, including calling for a vote of the lot owners and giving a specific number of votes that must be obtained in order for the changes to pass. So yes, in theory, most HOAs can change the rules if enough owners are in agreement.

That being said, there are a couple of areas where grandfather is often applicable -- when it comes to rental and/or pet restrictions.

In theory a HOA can make changes, but whether the association where your SIL lives followed all of the correct procedures and crossed all their t's is a question that an attorney that specializes in HOA litigation will be better suited to answer.

By the way, anyone looking at new construction homes that owns pets -- many now limit each household to 2 or 3 pets, some limit aggressive breeds as well. So be sure to ask, as the set of deed restrictions are generally not brought out until you are actually signing a purchase contract (and often glossed over by the sales rep).

Old 05-29-2015, 01:29 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,776 times
Our HOA limits number of pets, how many lbs, and excludes aggressive breeds. For the money the SIL will spend on an attorney, I think she'd be better off just moving to a non HOA community.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:37 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
All HOA's are different.
A house (that we sold yesterday!) in Florida, is in an HOA.
They have expensive (sarcastic) HOA Dues of $25.00 A YEAR...
They don't restrict the number or size or breed of dog/cats/etc.
They make sure that the properties are kept up well (vinyl fences are clean) trees are trimmed, there's not a broken down car on blocks in the driveway...
To me it sounds as if your SIL would be fighting an up hill battle... I wish her the best.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
I had a buyer that purchased a condo in Punta Gorda that didn't allow dogs, but they let them have it until the dog passed away and then they weren't allowed to get anymore pets after that. The rules and regulations did say no pets.

My parents live in a community where only small dogs were allowed. Then someone with an assisting dog moved in and had a Golden Retriever and they allowed it. Then all of the sudden they started allowing any large dogs in and changed their rules. Then the community came under new ownership and now large dogs are not allowed again, but the people who already had them are grandfathered in until they pass away.

So, this sort of thing happens all the time. You have to go by the rules and regulations and governances of the HOA. As others have said, if in doubt, get the advise of a real estate attorney.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:10 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,555,469 times
It's kind of like buying anything. If you don't read the contract/rules ahead of time then I don't see where folks have anything to complain about.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 PM

153 posts, read 192,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
It's kind of like buying anything. If you don't read the contract/rules ahead of time then I don't see where folks have anything to complain about.
Ummmm because when she signed the contract there wasn't a limit on dogs. Not saying what the HOA did wasn't legal and I'm sure the contract said they could change the rules so in the back of your mind you have to know this could happen, but yeah I think it still gives her reason to complain to suddenly put a rule on dogs that wasn't there before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area