Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 PM

9 posts, read 34,442 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have finally decided to buy some land down in Florida to eventually build our dream home on. Our situation is that we live in NY and have never bought anything outside of this state and even then, that was 20 years ago. Can someone let us know the process. We were there a couple of weeks ago for a little over a month and tried calling some realtors to show us some land but it was odd. They didn't seem that interested in going with us. We were told, just drive by and let us know. Here in NY, if you tell a realtor you're interested in buying, they hound you incessantly. I wanted to ask questions about impact fees, approximate costs of septic, well, etc. but felt put off. We like the area off Fruitville Rd, east of I75, and would like to possible make a purchase (if still available) when we head back down in Jan.

Thanks,
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 01:50 PM

4,622 posts, read 7,547,288 times
I think I can answer some of your questions. Buying vacant land in FL is, in many ways, more complicated than buying a home. That is because things like zoning ordinances, subsurface soil, wetlands, flood plains, endangered species habitats, right of ways, mineral rights, impact fees, high water tables, even availability of utilities can have a huge impact on whether a property is suitable to build a home on or not. Land owners can and often do sell land to buyers that is not currently "buildable."

The permitting process can be complex, site development costs can be expensive. Drilling new wells and installing septic systems can also be more complicated here in FL. Water quality can be a problem, water here often has a high mineral content.

Because of all of the above, many real estate agents shy away from buyers such as yourself. The potential for liabilities outweighs the potential commission they can earn.

You might try searching for vacant land on the public version of our local MLS at Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS and contact the listing agent of those you are interested in. They may be able to provide some of the information you will require to determine whether a parcel will fit your needs or not.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by
You might try searching for vacant land on the public version of our local MLS at [url=http://www.myfloridahomesmls.com
Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS[/url] and contact the listing agent of those you are interested in. They may be able to provide some of the information you will require to determine whether a parcel will fit your needs or not.
That actually is the website I've been using. Another thing is the real estate agent of one of the lots we are interested in, is also the owner. Does that complicate things or make it better?

Diana

Old 08-16-2015, 03:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,934,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaRina View Post
That actually is the website I've been using. Another thing is the real estate agent of one of the lots we are interested in, is also the owner. Does that complicate things or make it better?

Diana
The Realtor just has to disclose that they are the owner. Obviously, they have a vested interest in getting the most money for themselves if they own it

Old 08-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
I think I can answer some of your questions. Buying vacant land in FL is, in many ways, more complicated than buying a home. That is because things like zoning ordinances, subsurface soil, wetlands, flood plains, endangered species habitats, right of ways, mineral rights, impact fees, high water tables, even availability of utilities can have a huge impact on whether a property is suitable to build a home on or not. Land owners can and often do sell land to buyers that is not currently "buildable."

The permitting process can be complex, site development costs can be expensive. Drilling new wells and installing septic systems can also be more complicated here in FL. Water quality can be a problem, water here often has a high mineral content.
Sunshine, all the stuff you're mentioning above, is that my responsibility to find out, does the seller need to disclose, or should I hire a lawyer (not sure if it's mandatory in FL like it is here) and have them look into those matters?

Diana

Old 08-16-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Diana

It depends on the agent. It's difficult for the agent to be objective when he/she is also the seller.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:00 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,690,169 times
Once you find a lot you might be interested, definitely hire a lawyer to walk you through all the pitfalls, which could also include sinkholes.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Sunshine, all the stuff you're mentioning above, is that my responsibility to find out, does the seller need to disclose, or should I hire a lawyer (not sure if it's mandatory in FL like it is here) and have them look into those matters?

Diana

If the seller knows information about the property that can impact the value, such as half the property is wetlands and therefore protected from any sort of development, then the seller has an obligation to disclose that sort of information.

As to the other items about suitability for building, that would be on you the buyer to find out, or you with the help of your buyer's agent. The sources for the various information vary, it would be expensive to pay an attorney to research much of the info for you. Here's a list of some of the people you would need to consult about whether you can build and the costs associated to home on a parcel of vacant land -- county zoning & building departments, engineering company, well driller, septic tank company, electric company, find a home builder willing to take on the project, etc.

Most FL vacant land contracts will include the option for the buyer to have a feasibility study time period in which the buyer can do any and all environmental assessments, investigations, tests, verify zoning/permits/road access, utilities, well, septic systems, etc. At the end of that time period the buyer either agrees to go forward and close or cancels the contract. A buyer can spend a lot of time, money and effort on a piece of property only to find out it's not suitable for your purposes.

Here's another catch 22 about vacant land seller who is also the listing agent -- if you sign a purchase contract through the listing agent/owner, as an agent he/she would normally help you research the information you require to make a decision about feasibility of the property BUT as the owner, it may not be in his/her best interests to do that research if he/she then discovers some information about the property that may lesson it's value to other potential buyers.

As I mentioned previously, vacant land sales when it's for building purposes can get very complicated here in Florida.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:45 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,155,631 times
As a builder we offer potential clients a free land appraisal. we look at elevations, clearing needed, power, utilities ...any possible pitfalls...........something any self respecting builder Should do but sadly few actually do.....

unfortunately we don't cover your area

Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
Beware when looking at lots in North Port. Many lots were bought during the boom and many of them are now for sale and many of them are on craigslist. If the lots are in sections 46 or 47, don't waste your time. There is no and won't be any electric in those sections for the foreseeable future. In other sections, look at an aerial view, if there are no homes near the lot, there is no electric. If there is a home nearby, you'll have to visit the FPL office at Toledo/Price to find out if they will run electric for free [up to their allowable footage], otherwise you pay and it will cost more than you paid for the lot.
If you buy a lot in a 'sparely developed' area, no problem with electric, but most of the time, well/septic.
Above also applies to 'Charlotte' lots, Cape Coral and Lehigh Acres

Last edited by d4g4m; 08-16-2015 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area