Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:55 AM

274 posts, read 855,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
What line of work are you in that the salary doubles in Texas?
Nonprofit management. In general, salaries in the DFW area run much higher than in Sarasota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 01:38 PM

547 posts, read 927,060 times
I find it sort of humorous....A high salary working for a non profit.
I get it. I knew of a guy in Norcal who worked for the United Way who was making 6 figures 20 years ago.

Yes, it can be tough here. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
Nonprofit management. In general, salaries in the DFW area run much higher than in Sarasota.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:34 PM

704 posts, read 771,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Its very tough... I'm in my mid 20s.. just graduated from college with a degree in education... Im finding it to be very difficult to find affordable housing in Sarasota county living on a teacher salary. Hope this changes in the years to come.
You might want to check out salaries in different parts of the country. I know it pays better in some areas than others. I come from a family of school teachers (3 generations) and unfortunately it is a low paying profession almost across the board. I'm not saying that it's fair, it's just the way it is and has been for many years. The larger metropolitan areas generally pay better. I guess it's kind of a trade-off. You can barely make ends meet in Sarasota or you can go to DFW and make probably significantly more but then you also have horrid weather, still horrid traffic and not much in the way of natural beauty.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 AM

274 posts, read 855,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
I find it sort of humorous....A high salary working for a non profit.
I get it. I knew of a guy in Norcal who worked for the United Way who was making 6 figures 20 years ago.

Yes, it can be tough here. Thanks for the reply.
It's not a high salary - just a highER salary. It's the difference between making minimum wage for a job that requires a Master's degree and making something you can actually live on. I used to teach before going into management, and the salaries for that were abysmal as well.

Sarasota has a LOT of things going for it, but the salaries don't keep pace with the cost of living like they do in many other metro areas. Why do you think so many young professionals are leaving? Sarasota is a heck of a lot prettier than DFW, but if you can't afford basic necessities, then who cares about the view? I'll look forward to my retirement on Siesta Key when I can have a bunch in the bank and I won't care about the local salaries!

Also- as far as traffic is concerned, in DFW, everyone is trying to get everywhere fast, and in Sarasota, no one's going anywhere fast! It's much prettier getting stuck on the Ringling Bridge than on 635, though.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM

8,284 posts, read 4,671,045 times
Affordable housing proposal goes before City Commission | HeraldTribune.com

SARASOTA - The fate of Harvey Vengroff's much-anticipated affordable housing development on Fruitville Road should be decided by the City Commission on Monday night.

Lyons: Affordable housing often victim of squeaky wheel | HeraldTribune.com

Free markets are supposed to do the bulk of the work when it comes to providing what people need and most want, because providing that is how producers make a profit.
If there is a shortage of anything important, there is usually a rush to supply it.

That works most of the time, unless someone is able to manipulate things and keep something in short supply to keep prices high. Then the market isn't free. That's why we have laws banning monopolies.

But around Sarasota, there is a really painful and expensive shortage that government itself has created, or at least encouraged. Not necessarily on purpose, though that is debatable.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:36 AM

Affordable housing proposal in jeopardy after chaos at meeting | HeraldTribune.com

SARASOTA - A fuming Harvey Vengroff walked out of the hearing on his much-anticipated affordable housing development on Fruitville Road at the City Commission's meeting Monday night.

After Sarasota leaders proposed a stipulation that the city be allowed to inspect the proposed 393-apartment property at 2211 Fruitville Road, Vengroff stood up from the back row of the commission chambers and told the commissioners the project was over.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Affordable housing proposal in jeopardy after chaos at meeting | HeraldTribune.com

SARASOTA - A fuming Harvey Vengroff walked out of the hearing on his much-anticipated affordable housing development on Fruitville Road at the City Commission's meeting Monday night.

After Sarasota leaders proposed a stipulation that the city be allowed to inspect the proposed 393-apartment property at 2211 Fruitville Road, Vengroff stood up from the back row of the commission chambers and told the commissioners the project was over.
I get the point that many business people just don't want the government being involved with their affairs - however IMO if you are a good landlord I don't see what the big deal is about allowing inspections. There are annual inspections for Section 8 rentals. Just like any other business - there are both good and bad landlords. The government needs to cover their a** in case they get stuck with a lemon landlord. Not that Harvey Vengroff is a bad landlord (I have no idea) - but that's not that the point.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:42 PM

Sarasota OKs Vengroff's affordable housing project | HeraldTribune.com

I understand that this project fills a big need in the Sarasota area. However for me personally I don't like living in cookie-cutter style apartments - even if the rents are "reasonable". I have lived in numerous apartments (duplex, 4-plex, luxury hi-rise) - and in every single one I could rather clearly hear the neighbors through the walls - their conversations, their TV, their arguments, their sex sessions, etc.) Give me a little free-standing efficiency cottage with a decent size yard over a luxury hi-rise...... That's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area