Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:56 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Ashton View Post
Simple :

NEVER live on a barrier island.
Florida is a barrier island ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:28 PM

44 posts, read 54,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

Go back to sleep....Florida is a peninsula...your ignorance about what
constitutes a barrier island is revealing...and you are in the real estate
business ?? how stupid indeed

Old 05-28-2016, 05:26 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Ashton View Post
Go back to sleep....Florida is a peninsula...your ignorance about what
constitutes a barrier island is revealing...and you are in the real estate
business ?? how stupid indeed
You sound like a reincarnation of ShekleKing.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:35 AM

12 posts, read 16,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

I don't know if you were joking or maybe you really don't know what an island is ? or certainly a "barrier" island ??

Old 05-28-2016, 05:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I just want to point out that you can get a villa in a resort (free standing) especially if you don't planning on being there full time. The downside is that your HOAs will be very steep.

Secondly, during season, traffic is impossible. Getting on and off the island is a giant PIA. Even the Publix by the south bridge is packed and the parking lot is crazy.

While I'd love to live on Siesta Key, I'm not sure being able to walk to the beach would be worth it to me.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:50 AM

44 posts, read 54,661 times
Funny thing is that most long time residents (say over 20 yrs) don't even really want to live "on the beach", and don't buy near the water or anywhere close to Siesta !

Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 AM

118 posts, read 184,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just want to point out that you can get a villa in a resort (free standing) especially if you don't planning on being there full time. The downside is that your HOAs will be very steep.

Secondly, during season, traffic is impossible. Getting on and off the island is a giant PIA. Even the Publix by the south bridge is packed and the parking lot is crazy.

While I'd love to live on Siesta Key, I'm not sure being able to walk to the beach would be worth it to me.
Is this true even on the north end of the key, say around Shell rd beach access? Somewhat of a compromise because the beach is not large. Still, a couple miles from the main beach and village where I would expect most of the congestion.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:34 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
I currently live on Palm Island, which is only accessible via boat or car ferry.

As far as Siesta goes, I would recommend staying south of the south bridge or north of the north bridge. Like others have said, the traffic is insane most of the time.

Right now, I am paying around $7k per year just for insurance. My home was built in 2006 and is elevated 14 up. It also meets most/many of the current codes. I am, however, in a high velocity zone. If you have a building on the ground, especially that is older, the costs are astronomical.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:34 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DycFerrandino View Post
I don't know if you were joking or maybe you really don't know what an island is ? or certainly a "barrier" island ??
Built my home on a barrier island 21 years ago ~ A zone facing the Sunshine Skyway ~ 47 concrete rebar pilings 37 feet into bedrock & 3 for the pool ~ 115 feet of sea wall ~ yeah I know what a barrier island is ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area