Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want to move too far away from places to work, however...I prefer to WALK to my job, and it's less than 10 minutes away. Stores are also within 10 minutes walk.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 11,338 times
Default Should I move to Bradenton? You asked.

I have been in Fl for nine years. I have lived in Sarasota, Bradenton Beach, and now Bradenton. I would not urge someone to move here unless the person wanted to retire to an area that caters to an older crowd all the while ignoring the real issues that are immerging with the younger demographic of the area. I'll list your potential issues if you move here:

(1) Renters, renters everywhere! You must remember that they don't own their homes. When their music is up too loud, they do not need to take responsibility for the chaos. You can fill in all the other issues that come along with renters. Take no offense to this. Renters in FL are not like renters elsewhere. Greedy landlords who already own over 10 or so properties are in need of filling their homes. They will put anyone in these homes.

(2) Where O' where are the police? You can call them and they may come to answer your call, but forget about getting any real relief from the call. We are still battling noise violations from the same three neighbors we have been battling for the past three years.

(3) Do you know what a boom car is? Do a quick google search. They are a large part of the 34205 zip code. If this bothers you, stay away from the end of the hood. There are times I actually check to see if someone is in the street beating on a drum only to find that it is a boom car from three streets over. Yeah, I know. The car probably drove right past a police car on its way through the neighborhood.

(4) Yes, there is crime here. Depending on where your home is, you can hear gun shots late into the evening. Usually, you don't hear of murder close to the zip code. Every once in a while someone gets plugged. This is usually gang related. Remember I am only speaking of the zip code and closely related areas.

Good points:
(1) Bradenton is less expensive in most cases than Sarasota.

(2) It is closer to where I work. This is a reason to choose this area as opposed to others. Traffic can be a nightmare a large part of the day, so travel to and from work might be a factor in your move.

(3) The beach (if you like the beach)

(4) I have heard some say they like the old feel that Bradenton still radiates. I haven't heard this in the past two years, though.

Be sure to look at Venice and surrounding areas, Palmetto and surrounding areas, and even Myakka (although it has a stigma, it seems as though you could get some property away from others for a more pleasant introduction into the area).

I hope this helps a bit.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 11,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon128 View Post
my fiancee and I may be moving to the area due to a job offer she got. I've been trying to do some research on the place, and all i read everywhere is how much crime there is, how the houses are all built badly, and everyone that's moved there now regrets it and are saying to "AVOID AT ALL COSTS".

i already didn't want to move as it was, and this sure isn't helping. seriously, is there anything good about this town? we don't make too much so we can't afford to move in to some nice ritzy area, and we sure as hell don't want to live in a crappy area, but from what i am reading bradenton pretty much has the rich area, the crappy area, and the even crappier area.

and not only could we probably not afford the nicer area, but we don't want to live by the beach, which, from what i've read, basically means we'll be stuck in a ****ty area.

i don't want anyone to lie and tell me the place is great, but can some of you who LIVE in the area (not just people that have been there once or twice and had a bad experience) give me the rundown of bradenton and the surrounding cities?

i don't know what worries me more, all the bad things i've read about, or the fact that i haven't read a single GOOD thing about the town...

thanks in advance.
I posted my opinion on your situation on the backend of this thread. Check it out. For what it's worth...I'm honest.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM

20 posts, read 55,126 times
There are rentals for $900 but mostly townhomes/condos because we are still considered "in season" even for long term rentals. We are heading into summer and there will be some desperate home owners who need to rent for another year or 7 months. Don't give up hope. Renting is a good idea, then you can take your time to look and also see how the job works out! Yes, I'm a realtor ;-)

Old 04-29-2008, 03:12 PM

45 posts, read 145,031 times
Default Not a good idea....

Crime is not a random incident anymore. Six schools, including Lakewood ranch high, were on lock down today. Is that a record in Manatee county. Bradenton is really going down hill. I do not care if rent was $500 a month. We are leaving, quick. This is not a good way to live!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM

You're actually NOT going to find someplace better though. Crime is EVERYWHERE. Criminals are everywhere. Do you really think that moving to Darien, CT, for example, is going to keep crime away from you?

Most crimes (more than half, definitely) are committed by people the victims KNOW. So your best defense? Don't know anyone.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 PM

45 posts, read 145,031 times
Default Understand..

I do understand that crime is everywhere. But, why live in a place like Bradenton. I have family all around the country and they think I am crazy for living here. The schools are not normal in Bradenton. Why not move to someplace that is safer. Bradenton does not have a lot going for it, other than the beach. Jobs pay less, property is old or over-inflated, and crime. Hmm, does not seem like a good combination. I would rather live in a place that had one out of the three, than nothing. Also, taxes and insurance are sky high. Many people I know, professionals, are leaving the area because they cannot afford their homes. Also, many people are frustrated with the schools and want to leave. Even though, it could be worse(think Detroit), it could be a whole lot better!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinflorida View Post
I do understand that crime is everywhere. But, why live in a place like Bradenton. I have family all around the country and they think I am crazy for living here. The schools are not normal in Bradenton. Why not move to someplace that is safer. Bradenton does not have a lot going for it, other than the beach. Jobs pay less, property is old or over-inflated, and crime. Hmm, does not seem like a good combination. I would rather live in a place that had one out of the three, than nothing. Also, taxes and insurance are sky high. Many people I know, professionals, are leaving the area because they cannot afford their homes. Also, many people are frustrated with the schools and want to leave. Even though, it could be worse(think Detroit), it could be a whole lot better!
I can't see making more than $10 an hour. That's what I make. Five years from now...I should STILL be making $10 an hour. I won't, they'll give me raises throughout, but that amount of money is more than anyone "needs".

Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM

50 posts, read 205,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeo View Post
I have been in Fl for nine years. I have lived in Sarasota, Bradenton Beach, and now Bradenton. I would not urge someone to move here unless the person wanted to retire to an area that caters to an older crowd all the while ignoring the real issues that are immerging with the younger demographic of the area. I'll list your potential issues if you move here:

(1) Renters, renters everywhere! You must remember that they don't own their homes. When their music is up too loud, they do not need to take responsibility for the chaos. You can fill in all the other issues that come along with renters. Take no offense to this. Renters in FL are not like renters elsewhere. Greedy landlords who already own over 10 or so properties are in need of filling their homes. They will put anyone in these homes.

(2) Where O' where are the police? You can call them and they may come to answer your call, but forget about getting any real relief from the call. We are still battling noise violations from the same three neighbors we have been battling for the past three years.

(3) Do you know what a boom car is? Do a quick google search. They are a large part of the 34205 zip code. If this bothers you, stay away from the end of the hood. There are times I actually check to see if someone is in the street beating on a drum only to find that it is a boom car from three streets over. Yeah, I know. The car probably drove right past a police car on its way through the neighborhood.

(4) Yes, there is crime here. Depending on where your home is, you can hear gun shots late into the evening. Usually, you don't hear of murder close to the zip code. Every once in a while someone gets plugged. This is usually gang related. Remember I am only speaking of the zip code and closely related areas.

Good points:
(1) Bradenton is less expensive in most cases than Sarasota.

(2) It is closer to where I work. This is a reason to choose this area as opposed to others. Traffic can be a nightmare a large part of the day, so travel to and from work might be a factor in your move.

(3) The beach (if you like the beach)

(4) I have heard some say they like the old feel that Bradenton still radiates. I haven't heard this in the past two years, though.

Be sure to look at Venice and surrounding areas, Palmetto and surrounding areas, and even Myakka (although it has a stigma, it seems as though you could get some property away from others for a more pleasant introduction into the area).

I hope this helps a bit.
Look, I'm not trying to start anything. Just trying to give a different view on this topic...

First of all, crime is going up in EVERY state. It's a product of our current economy for starters. EVERY state is feeling the effects in regards to crime, not just Florida.

I live in East Tennessee. We have so-called "boom cars", renters and crime. "Boom cars" (never heard that term before, but I'm guessing you are referring to stereo and bass systems?) are a product of a generation, it's a trendy thing to do. IT IS EVERYWHERE. Even in more rural states. It's just a trend or a thing people do, it's not something to fear.

Renters are renters. I for one am a renter and have been for a long time. However, I happen to give a crap about where and how I live and so do all of the other folks I know who rent. We aren't, generally speaking, pests of society. Frankly, I live next door to a HOMEOWNER who cares less about his home and lawn than we do about our rental. Some renters don't care. Most do. The issue comes down to the person, not the name on the deed.

We also have crime here. In rural east Tennessee. I hear gun shots. The news is loaded with crime stories. There is more crime going on here in the past few years than I can remember in the 11 years I've lived here. I bet you'll hear the same story on every board in this forum. Crime is everywhere. Period.

OP - I'm moving to Bradenton in a few months. Please don't let everything you read scare you away. We found a 3/2 for $1150. And since we commited to this home, I've even found comparible home for less. $900 is not impossible. Check Craigslist!! Things have changed in the past year or two. Drastically. Prices have come down and they will continue to go down further.

There are jobs in the area as well. But as with most places, it may take knocking on some doors and networking to land a good one. But it's not impossible. Every town in this country has it's less than desirable areas. Bradenton is gorgeous, IMO. There will always be those who dislike where they live. The grass is greener for different people... just think positive! Good luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:42 PM

83 posts, read 277,590 times
Default My 2c

You always have to take, with a pinch of salt, the replies from ALL of us who post on forums. Guaranteed there will be those who moan about EVERYTHING (and I always feel there are heaps of them), and you will also findn people who see things through rose tinted glasses.

Bradenton, like everywhere else, has its positives and negatives.

POSITIVES
Beautiful area of the country
Great beaches
Close to Sarasota for ballet, opera, theater, city center dining, etc
Fanastic climate
Great people
Relaxed atmosphere
Excellent healthcare providers
General Quality of Life

NEGATIVES
Certain areas of the city are run-down with inner city issues as in any place
The run down areas look run down and so driving say from East Bradenton West through to the beaches can, some of the way, not be attractive viewing
Salaries are not good
Florida, in many ways, is still "redneck" country and certain parts of Bradenton show this.
City attempts to gentrify the center of the city have been SLOW.

Economy in General/Real Estate
The Gulf Coast economy is suffering maybe more than others at the moment due to the previously over inflated house prices. However, this means that there are heaps of property bargains out there. We've bought a house but our realtor told us that the rental market is struggling even more than the house market, as so many investors bought to rent in 2004/5 that they just can't find anyone to rent, let alone cover their investment!
Look for property you want. Don't worry if they are asking higher than you want to pay (even substantially). Many of these properties have been on the market for months. Put in silly offers - we did and have found our perfect house. Someone is going to be desperate enough to have a tenant that they will take your offer. This does not mean you will have to be living in a ghetto. Many properties - for example - in Lakewood Ranch - are well built and upmarket and you would probably really love living there.
The following are communities in LWR that have heaps of rentals - Boca Grove, Moorings, Miramar, Lake Vistas, Village at Town Park.
Boca would be best located for all the community events, etc and Lake Vistas has a LOT of rental investors who are struggling to find tenants. Some units are over 2,800 sq ft. We are now coming into the slower part of the year for real estate - so you can definitely benefit from being aggressive.

We've been to and from Bradenton for over 10 years now and have done a heap of research before we decided to make the move. I felt a huge amount of indecision and concern from reading many of the comments on the boards - but I've made numerous visits in recent months, and every visit meeting with people living there, other families, schools, waiting staff in restaurants, the mail guys - everyone - has given me a totally positive perspective.

Every place in our modern world isn't going to be perfect - but whilst Bradenton isn't refined like Sarasota - there are very nice parts!
Good luck with whatever you decide. Should you need any info, please don't hesitate to send me a private email.
M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area