Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 06:55 AM

44 posts, read 40,314 times

Advertisements

Few if any buyers or riders of Harley's or prolific "custom" bkes CHANGE or alter the factory setting, they is no need for that.

Few owners if any, of boats such as Fountain,Donzi, Hustler, Mystic,Cigarette, etc or even big pleasure boats, such as Cruisers, SeaRay, Chris-craft, Hatteras, choi Lee, Ferretti, etc change/modify anything which affects engine noise ! I have a dual big turbo diesels SeaRay and of course the engines can be loud !

Heck, Polaris runners from the factory can be loud

Commercial weed-eaters are quite loud. Commercial zero-turn rider or standing mowers are quite ear piercing. complaining about watercraft noise while living in and around a marina is purely insane, while you have similar extremely omnipresent commercial leaf blowers might be on your own property near your windows and doors once or twice a week.

Levels of" noise" are a part of daily living around community and "progress" ! Do you think 18 wheelers are out of compliance? They aren't.

You ever hear GARBAGE and RE-CYCLING trucks in the early morning? even BEFORE they arrive on YOUR STREET??

What about the loud UPS brown delivery trucks? What about your neighbor's Ford Rousch Mustang? or your neighbor's F-250 diesel crewcab truck?

Bodies of water (bays, marinas) can tend to amplify so-called nose anyway! so LIVING on a body of water, then complaining about boating noise is stupid.

Living in and around a MARINA with tons of slips and boats of all sorts and sizes, then COMPLAINING about NOISE is particularly stupid. That's like buying and living in house that back up to I 75 (even within 200yds), and complaining about traffic noise !! or living under s flight or glide path of Sarasota-Bradenton Airport and complaining about airplane engine noise or lobbying for every type of plane to install hush kits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 07:26 AM

I am not advocating ignoring compliance laws, I'm advocating that people shouldn't be stupid about living around navigable water, marinas with slips and bays/inlets (or actual boating communities, yacht clubs etc), then complain about water-amplified boat noise....or to suggest most bikes are in fact "illegal". There is no evidence of that.

BUT ON TOPIC, Motorcycle "noise" , it NOT the reason why they city leaders didn't want Thunder....it's a misperceived/conceived "image" that doesn't jibe with what "they" want to create and perpetuate. It's not the narrative they wish to bolster....and that's the TRUTH.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:09 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemjem View Post

BUT ON TOPIC, Motorcycle "noise" , it NOT the reason why they city leaders didn't want Thunder....it's a misperceived/conceived "image" that doesn't jibe with what "they" want to create and perpetuate. It's not the narrative they wish to bolster....and that's the TRUTH.
Perhaps the completely falling down drunk folks barfing on the sidewalks upset a few?

I saw them myself - not to say they were violent (they were not). But some may have complained. Not me.....I say live and let live.

I'm a moderate which is why I thought perhaps Payne Park was a good solution - and then maybe still have one parade and/or showing DT.

But - in the end - this is no big thing.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Perhaps the completely falling down drunk folks barfing on the sidewalks upset a few?

I saw them myself - not to say they were violent (they were not). But some may have complained. Not me.....I say live and let live.

I'm a moderate which is why I thought perhaps Payne Park was a good solution - and then maybe still have one parade and/or showing DT.

I would not argue "what you have seen" in Sarasota or anywhere else, but my take is that I have lived here and outside San Diego for over 30 years, and my family has had interests here in SRQ/Mana since 1961. I have actually worked the boat races and other events, and I have rarely, if ever, seen the attendees of Thunder or the SunCoast "barfing on the sidewalks" or "falling down drunk"...having said that you can see locals and seasonal residents behave like that on Siesta key on any (non-event) Friday night or Saturday night, or you can ride along with Manatee County Sheriff's office on just about any late night while they patrol the patrons (mostly drunk local bartenders and waitresses) staggering out of Linkster's or Paddy Wagon getting in their vehicles to drive compleltely DRUNK.
I agree it's not a "big thing", but the area is successfully whittling away at these sorts of local events simply because a very few of the connected locals consider them "low-brow" and not fitting with their own narrative to attempt to turn SRQ/MANA into a Naples or fisher Island...just look at the efforts to gentrify DT, the CBD and the development of condo projejcts, cobblestone streets, narrowing or streets, elimination of vehicular access, on-street parking, fees and the like. I've been here too long to be fooled. I know better.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:32 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Quote:
I would not argue "what you have seen" in Sarasota or anywhere else, but my take is that I have lived here and outside San Diego for over 30 years, and my family has had interests here in SRQ/Mana since 1961. I have actually worked the boat races and other events, and I have rarely, if ever, seen the attendees of Thunder or the SunCoast "barfing on the sidewalks" or "falling down drunk"...having said that you can see locals and seasonal residents behave like that on Siesta key on any (non-event) Friday night or Saturday night, or you can ride along with Manatee County Sheriff's office on just about any late night while they patrol the patrons (mostly drunk local bartenders and waitresses) staggering out of Linkster's or Paddy Wagon getting in their vehicles to drive completely DRUNK.
I agree it's not a "big thing", but the area is successfully whittling away at these sorts of local events simply because a very few of the connected locals consider them "low-brow" and not fitting with their own narrative to attempt to turn SRQ/MANA into a Naples or fisher Island...just look at the efforts to gentrify DT, the CBD and the development of condo projejcts, cobblestone streets, narrowing or streets, elimination of vehicular access, on-street parking, fees and the like. I've been here too long to be fooled. I know better.
I really haven't seen people falling down drunk, barfing, etc at TOTB. Like you say, the behavior is far "worse" on Siesta key on a Friday or Sat night, not to say that there is no bad behavior at this event. The problem with TOTB in downtown is simply that it had become too big for the streets - clogging them way too much, especially in light of all the building, and current street closures already. All the other supposed reasons, while valid to an extent, take a back seat to the logistics and safety of too many people in too small a space.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
I really haven't seen people falling down drunk, barfing, etc at TOTB. Like you say, the behavior is far "worse" on Siesta key on a Friday or Sat night, not to say that there is no bad behavior at this event. The problem with TOTB in downtown is simply that it had become too big for the streets - clogging them way too much, especially in light of all the building, and current street closures already. All the other supposed reasons, while valid to an extent, take a back seat to the logistics and safety of too many people in too small a space.

I hate to tell you
, but many Sarasota officials tried to make a similar but specious argument years earlier attempting to run the SunCoast Offshore away from making noise at the 10th street boat ramps, but were successful in ELIMINATING the "WET PITS" at the slips in front of the Hyatt and the Quay !!

Nope friend, it ain't "the noise". It's "appearances" and "style". Sarasota has NO trouble in actually BLOCKING the entire STREET for art shows, or homosexual pride parades, or for that matter lousy "farmer's markets" on weekends that bring the city NO revenue to speak of.

Sarasota is more willing to lose taxes on food and liquor sales, and revenue for DT businesses than to host this event. They want it "out of sight", hence Payne Park.

Sarasota was instrumental in forcing the non-renewal ofthe lease for the old Burger King at the corner of Main and Lemon, and also pushing out the last chain restaurant, Applebee's Neighborhood Grill right near the theatre....why? the didn't want national low-brow chains on Main Street ! (anywhere on Main Street)..one could argue that it's no loss in the scheme of things, but that's not the point.

You people need to HEAR the utter contempt and disdain that Sarasota has for sites such as UTC (all of it, not just the mall), and of course Lakewood Ranch Town Center, Downtown Bradenton, or west Bradenton.
They enjoy fanning the flames of social discord, and bogus economic bad attitudes. It's worthy of note to state that most of Manatee County doesn't deal in such disdain or comparison...they just keep on ticking, planning and building (and collecting fees and taxes).

"TOO MANY PEOPLE IN MALL SPACE" has, and had nothing to do with it. The Police really weren't even consulted in detail, this was an administrative decision,,,ha ha

Last edited by hemjem; 09-25-2016 at 04:53 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 07:56 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:

I hate to tell you
, but many Sarasota officials tried to make a similar but specious argument years earlier attempting to run the SunCoast Offshore away from making noise at the 10th street boat ramps, but were successful in ELIMINATING the "WET PITS" at the slips in front of the Hyatt and the Quay !!

Nope friend, it ain't "the noise". It's "appearances" and "style". Sarasota has NO trouble in actually BLOCKING the entire STREET for art shows, or homosexual pride parades, or for that matter lousy "farmer's markets" on weekends that bring the city NO revenue to speak of.

Sarasota is more willing to lose taxes on food and liquor sales, and revenue for DT businesses than to host this event. They want it "out of sight", hence Payne Park.

Sarasota was instrumental in forcing the non-renewal ofthe lease for the old Burger King at the corner of Main and Lemon, and also pushing out the last chain restaurant, Applebee's Neighborhood Grill right near the theatre....why? the didn't want national low-brow chains on Main Street ! (anywhere on Main Street)..one could argue that it's no loss in the scheme of things, but that's not the point.

You people need to HEAR the utter contempt and disdain that Sarasota has for sites such as UTC (all of it, not just the mall), and of course Lakewood Ranch Town Center, Downtown Bradenton, or west Bradenton.
They enjoy fanning the flames of social discord, and bogus economic bad attitudes. It's worthy of note to state that most of Manatee County doesn't deal in such disdain or comp
arison...they just keep on ticking, planning and building (and collecting fees and taxes).

"TOO MANY PEOPLE IN MALL SPACE" has, and had nothing to do with it. The Police really weren't even consulted in detail, this was an administrative decision,,,ha ha
I wouldn't doubt it, but who are you referring to when you just say "Sarasota?" Who is saying these disdainful things? This is an honest question, I have known Sarasota is a nose-in-the-air town for years, although I feel like it is somewhat better than it used to be.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Ever seen the drunks at dinner on Longboat Key ~ that's really a sad sight ~ If alcohol is being served at a Sarasota event, there's always going to be this kind of issue

Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I wouldn't doubt it, but who are you referring to when you just say "Sarasota?" Who is saying these disdainful things? This is an honest question, I have known Sarasota is a nose-in-the-air town for years, although I feel like it is somewhat better than it used to be.

I've owned various properties and had interests here for decades. These people are in City of Sarasota Government, the city Commission, and most of the longer serving Sarasota County commissioners. Combine those with the big land owners and old heads known in the city...influential people and sometimes crooks themselves...and particularly highly visible "real estate firm owners" (use your imagination here), and a few crooked attorneys, and hidden trusts. Ask any political leader in Manatee county or Bradenton government...they will tell you quietly too....Ask developers like Benderson who had to twist arms through economic muscle to get approval of ANYTHING with respect to commerical and multi-family development in Sarasota or SRQ County. I've seen this crap for over 35 years. I'm not a newcomer - far from it.

Do you know the hassle and foot dragging that ensued in the approval and construction of Cattlemen Road extension ?? SRQ county and the city really didn't want any more major corridor connection with the "gateway to DT City of Sarasota" (Fruitville Road), with MANATEE COUNTY ! the same foot dragging applies even at THIS time with the non-completion of 4-lanning of Honore through the Meadows (another N/S connection of the City of sarasota with MANATEE COUNTY) <<<<< keep in mind THIS project of Honore through the Meadows was already FORMERLY approved (not implemented because of lobbying efforts from Meadows et al) when the MEADOWS was FIRST built by Taylor Morrison back in the very late 1970s and early 1980s. Sarasota has always been "anti-growth" for many sectors of the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area