Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

I was walking my min-schnauzer today in my neighborhood and saw two women walking their dogs approaching us...
One woman's dog started barking and came running across the street--more than 15 ft away from us--and jumped my dog...
My dog was not barking or making aggressive moves prior to that dog barking and running toward her...
The woman had a long leash and couldn't stop her dog before getting to mine...
Her was bigger--probably twice the size of my dog--came to mid thigh on me
Frankly I was afraid to bend down and try to pick my dog up because her dog was so aggressive...

The leashes tangled--her dog had its collar pulled off but she finally got close enough to her dog and I guess the dog finally responded and stopped attacking...
It was over in less than a min or so I guess--but that is lot longer when something like that is happening than it sounds like...

The woman of course said that her dog had never done anything like that before--but who cares at that point.
Luckily my dog didn't seem to be bitten---
She wasn't crying and hasn't been licking any areas now that we are home...

I was so afraid and felt like a coward because I didn't do more to protect my dog from the other one...

The woman told me her name--since forgotten--but I had her call her phone on mine so I have her phone number...I should have taken photo of the dog and her for reference but again--was pretty shaken--
The other woman with her had a dog (black cocker) who was no threat and did no barking
But she was a witness and agreed my dog was the victim--did nothing aggressive to draw the other dog--

My question is do I need to report this attack
I don't want to ever meet that dog again and frankly I doubt if it was the only time her dog has been aggressive like that--

My dog has met other dogs on walks in this neighborhood--sometimes she will be barking at them and vice versa--but other times she had had friendly encounters---
I have even had a dog to jump our low fences (just 4 ft) and come out of the yard when we are walking but the dog was just friendly (still scary though)...

What is the policy regarding dogs that do attack other dogs?
In Texas if a dog has X number of attacks on other dogs it can be euthanized and the owner certainly has problems with insurance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:31 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I was walking my min-schnauzer today in my neighborhood and saw two women walking their dogs approaching us...
One woman's dog started barking and came running across the street--more than 15 ft away from us--and jumped my dog...
My dog was not barking or making aggressive moves prior to that dog barking and running toward her...
The woman had a long leash and couldn't stop her dog before getting to mine...
Her was bigger--probably twice the size of my dog--came to mid thigh on me
Frankly I was afraid to bend down and try to pick my dog up because her dog was so aggressive...

The leashes tangled--her dog had its collar pulled off but she finally got close enough to her dog and I guess the dog finally responded and stopped attacking...
It was over in less than a min or so I guess--but that is lot longer when something like that is happening than it sounds like...

The woman of course said that her dog had never done anything like that before--but who cares at that point.
Luckily my dog didn't seem to be bitten---
She wasn't crying and hasn't been licking any areas now that we are home...

I was so afraid and felt like a coward because I didn't do more to protect my dog from the other one...

The woman told me her name--since forgotten--but I had her call her phone on mine so I have her phone number...I should have taken photo of the dog and her for reference but again--was pretty shaken--
The other woman with her had a dog (black cocker) who was no threat and did no barking
But she was a witness and agreed my dog was the victim--did nothing aggressive to draw the other dog--

My question is do I need to report this attack
I don't want to ever meet that dog again and frankly I doubt if it was the only time her dog has been aggressive like that--

My dog has met other dogs on walks in this neighborhood--sometimes she will be barking at them and vice versa--but other times she had had friendly encounters---
I have even had a dog to jump our low fences (just 4 ft) and come out of the yard when we are walking but the dog was just friendly (still scary though)...

What is the policy regarding dogs that do attack other dogs?
In Texas if a dog has X number of attacks on other dogs it can be euthanized and the owner certainly has problems with insurance...
You can contact the SRQ Sheriffs department of animal control to make a report. My mom's dog was attacked by another resident's dog at the retirement home where she resides last month and had to make such a report.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
You can read up on what will happen if a dog is reported as aggressive. Before you call, get that info and then decide what you want to do.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Start carrying a walking stick with you when you walk your dog.....it can be used to fend off an attack.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:49 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Start carrying a walking stick with you when you walk your dog.....it can be used to fend off an attack.
If you go after a dog with a stick it might just decide to turn on you. My wife and I both carry pepper spray on our bikes just in case.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
My husband has stick like that
PVC--his arms r longer so might need longer stick
I just find them inhibiting but maybe necessary now

And yes--I understand calling the sheriff to report this could cause repercussions
Dont want to make enemies but that dog was scary
My husband was riding his bike little later and saw them walking
Agreed dog was strong/big...

I dont know the owner but she couldnt control her dog--stop its charging--w/just collar and leash that kept rolling out--
We use harness and leash that can be braked to put our dog under more control

Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Cane fu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yah, a good solid cane. I was walking our little indoor dog (a small cocker) & a big German Shepard from next door came over & wanted to nuzzle our dog. Our dog went frantic, he forgot to do his business. I wound up improvising a stick - but the other dog didn't close - I think he was trying to be friendly.

But our dog overreacted, & badly. So now I carry a nice pine cane, painted white. Very handy.

Or you could carry pepper spray, as long as it's legal - check your local police dept. website. I'm comfortable with the cane, but if you have any doubts about handling the cane, or it's a big dog, the pepper spray may be the way to go. You can ramp up from there - tear gas, birdshot - but again, check your PD website first, to see what's allowed.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:05 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Was your dog on a leash?

I would always carry pepper spray - not just for that dog but for others that could be roaming around.

The dog did not break your dogs skin? - if there was no blood it really was not that bad.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM

252 posts, read 371,293 times
Based on what I read, I don't think I would report it. If my dog was seriously injured it might be different. Sometimes a normally docile dog will tangle unexpectedly with another dog. If the leases hadn't gotten tangled it would have been over in seconds likely. It's easier to give the benefit of the doubt when neither dog was hurt, and that's what I would do.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:08 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Same stuff here. I have a small 20 pound multi poo. Always leashed and usually walked on our condo property. We have a signs stating all dogs must be leashed. A lot of people just ignore the signs. I see large breed dogs almost every day many from other properties near us off leash and using the grassy areas of our condo property as a dog park. If you say anything to the owners many of them get very angry. Not a good situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: