Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:17 AM

30 posts, read 31,772 times

Advertisements

Another one bites the dust : CARMEL CAFE @UTC, last day was yesterday

Of course POLO GRILL in LWR...gone a couple of weeks earlier

My opinion, no real loss, another Outback "off-shoot"

Who's NEXT?? who needs to be next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 06:24 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
I don't know how some of those places pay the thousands of dollars a month rent and the electric bill.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I don't know how some of those places pay the thousands of dollars a month rent and the electric bill.

The fact is a few of these places with leases with Benderson Development (in particular) are paying ASTRONOMICAL monthly lease payments and other assorted fees....some well well over 30k per month plus/and in some cases percentages of gross sales. It's unsustainable for most, even if they are part of huge national or regional chains. Publix also operates and leases spaces in a few of their owned plazas but they are hardly as punitive.

If I told you how much 'Burger and Beer Joint', 'Rusty Bucket', or 'Acropolis', et al (all marginal to inferior food/service) are paying in their leases, you would faint and fall off your chair.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:18 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
No wonder some of those places charge so much.... I liked Carmel Cafe at first, but then they jacked up their prices and we quit going....

I would like to see some more interesting restaurants come to Bradenton, surely the rent can't be as high as the over-priced city of Sarsota....Every time I go downtown (Sarasota) there is some restaurant that has closed with another in its place.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:17 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
the turnover in this area (sarasota/manatee) is horrendous. Back in Long Island, restaurants lasted for years and years. I think the fact that restaurants down here live and die for the season is a big problem.. They have to make their money in four six months and hope to survive the summer.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
I read that Nokimos Crab House is closing which makes me sad. We were told it was the best place to get anything like Chesapeake Bay crab cakes in the area and we didn’t make it there before we left. Was planning on it next fall but so much for that.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:49 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I read that Nokimos Crab House is closing which makes me sad. We were told it was the best place to get anything like Chesapeake Bay crab cakes in the area and we didn’t make it there before we left. Was planning on it next fall but so much for that.
Darn. I have been meaning to go there for steamed blue crabs. They are one of the few places around that offer them. Wonder if Pincher's Crab Shack impacted their business. Pincher's opened this year 1 or 2 miles away from them and Pincher's sells blue crabs too.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Checkers tried to make a go at it on the property owned by Doctors Hospital, Bee Ridge/Cattlemen. They did ok for awhile but when their lease was up, the new lot space rent was increased so high they decided to give up the space. Space is now occupied by Starbucks and First Watch. Chili's is doing ok but I don't know how Taco Bell stays open.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:05 AM

One of the largest franchises of APPLEBEE's,, based in Atlanta, filed for bankruptcy. Nationally, the parent company is planning to close up to 80 new restaurants. That franchisee is RNH Holdings, with 163 stores!

In the bankruptcy filing, the company said it owes between $100 million and $500 million, and it has assets within the same range, which means of course they're BROKE.

The bankruptcy filing occurs about two months after the company revealed a major security breach at all its locations that exposed customers’ credit cards to hackers. Malware was found operating on the software of the company’s cash register system between December 2017 and January 2017.

The company said the malware was designed to collect names, credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and card verification codes. These point-of-sale attacks can give thieves the ability to steal credit card information from customers.

It is unclear whether the bankruptcy filing is related to the security breach.

A number of major restaurant chains revealed credit card breaches last year, including Arby’s, Chipotle, Sonic Drive-In and Shoney’s.

Like many restaurant chains in the United States, Applebee’s has not been immune from changes in customer tastes, with younger diners in particular tending to avoid sit-down eateries like Applebee’s and opt for fast-casual options instead.

Dine Global Brands, Applebee’s parent company, closed nearly 100 locations last year and said it planned to close between 60 to 80 additional sites this year.

No loss as far as I'm concerned, most Applebee's pretty much suck.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM

I don't know how Demetrio's at Lockwood/Univ stays in business at that expensive location either, and their parking lot is seldom even one-half full, and their food is average and nothing special, and I've had better pizza at Pizza Hut - a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area