Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 06:59 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times

Advertisements

WR, 70-80% of Floridians do not feel the sky is falling no matter how long your rants get, nor how many Liberal sources you cite.

Please share the 3 most significant steps you've taken personally in the way you live your life to save Mother Earth.

Here's ours:
My wife and I had only 1 child, thus reducing overpopulation by 50%.
We went from owning 3 homes containing ~10,000 sq ft to 1 home <3,000 sq ft, a 70% reduction
We went from 2 mid-size SUV's, to 1 compact SUV, a 60% reduction in fuel consumption

In the future, we'll reduce living space by another 50%, and may buy some alternative fuel source car. So, you see, we do care about the environment, and we do take action. Like the vast majority of Floridians, we do not take a fatalistic view of the World around us, nor do we obsess about it like a small sliver of radical liberals do who think they will become happier by forcing others to change the way they think, and live.

I think if you took a more active role in actually doing things (beach & waterways clean-ups, sea turtle nest protection, ect.) rather than just thinking or blogging about them, it would help diminish your obsession, and improve your outlook on the World around you. Chanel your psychological & physical energy into being Florida #1 environmental volunteer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 08:57 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
WR, 70-80% of Floridians do not feel the sky is falling no matter how long your rants get, nor how many Liberal sources you cite.

Please share the 3 most significant steps you've taken personally in the way you live your life to save Mother Earth.

Here's ours:
My wife and I had only 1 child, thus reducing overpopulation by 50%.
We went from owning 3 homes containing ~10,000 sq ft to 1 home <3,000 sq ft, a 70% reduction
We went from 2 mid-size SUV's, to 1 compact SUV, a 60% reduction in fuel consumption

In the future, we'll reduce living space by another 50%, and may buy some alternative fuel source car. So, you see, we do care about the environment, and we do take action. Like the vast majority of Floridians, we do not take a fatalistic view of the World around us, nor do we obsess about it like a small sliver of radical liberals do who think they will become happier by forcing others to change the way they think, and live.

I think if you took a more active role in actually doing things (beach & waterways clean-ups, sea turtle nest protection, ect.) rather than just thinking or blogging about them, it would help diminish your obsession, and improve your outlook on the World around you. Chanel your psychological & physical energy into being Florida #1 environmental volunteer.
You don't know what Floridians believe, especially if 2016 election exit polls and the media are any indication. In fact, Floridians likely are much more concerned about man-made climate change than you understand, and much, much more concerned than you.

An NBC News 2016 election exit poll said about two-thirds of Florida respondents said that climate change was a serious issue, and that was before all of the evidence and consequences of the ongoing onslaught experienced by Floridians in the last two years. Even you admit that the red tide results in escalating concerns, and Michael's unexpected intensification and ultimate destructive power should frighten any informed Floridian, as should reports since 2016 of the kill-off of Florida's coral reefs, an immense source of marine life and even oxygen supply, due to both ocean warming and the easily measured and quantifiable acidification of the world's oceans due to the absorption of atmospheric carbon dioxide and its conversion to carbonic acid. The world's oceans literally are dying to save us from the consequences of unchecked fossil fuel consumption.

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/nbc-new...change-n680406

Read post 62 in the following thread. It discusses an Oct. 10 editorial in the Miami Herald which is the most complete, reasoned appeal to cut back drastically on fossil fuel consumption that I've ever seen. The editorial is entitled, "Combat climate change today for a tomorrow." The editorial notes correctly that the U.N. climate change panel vilified by Republicans historically has underestimated the speed and consequences of the ongoing man-made climate change catastrophe. From Florida's dying coral, to accelerating sea level rise, to rapidly intensifying and more powerful hurricanes such as Michael, to persistent and more severe red tide algal blooms in the oceans surrounding Florida, Floridians surely have more evidence than even two years ago of the consequences of doing nothing to reduce fossil fuel consumption.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...-nelson-7.html

Any Floridian should read this editorial (linked directly below) several times, and especially consider the possibility, according to Harold Wanless, chairman of the geological sciences department at the Univ. of Miami, that the U.N. panel is drastically underestimating the accelerating rate of global ice melt and the level of sea level rise likely to impact low-lying Florida in the decades ahead (see the discussion about Harold Wanless in post 62 in the above thread).

What concerns me most is that apparently the most recent U.N. panel report (based on the reference in the Miami Herald editorial; I haven't read yet the most recent U.N. panel report released in early October) discusses the possibility of feedback loop that could greatly exacerbate and accelerate the impact of man-made climate change. Post 62 also elaborates on the nature of this feedback loop, which includes the massive release of methane, an extremely potent greenhouse gas, as the Arctic region rapidly is thawing. Such a feedback loop could make Harold Wanless' dire warnings even inadequate.

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/...219770350.html

What also frightens me is the resigned despondency of members of the U.N. climate panel that I saw interviewed.

Methane reportedly, according to the following Scientific American article, warms earth by over 80 times as much as carbon dioxide. How many Floridians and Americans understand the massive threat posed by allowing the Arctic thaw to continue, let alone accelerate. If this feedback loop, merely just referenced by the Miami Herald editorial, actually kicks in, even the massive inundation of Florida (15 feet of sea level rise by 2100) warned about by Harold Wanless may be understated both by degree and by the timing of the onslaught.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...as-is-methane/

For years, I've studied vicious cycles in the lives of corporations, economies and societies, and they never end well unless drastic action is taken, which always requires exemplary, experienced and focused leadership. Consider as an example, Paul Volcker's famed actions to choke to death the inflation which ravaged the U.S. in the 1970s, with interest rates rising into the double digits.

https://www.npr.org/2015/12/15/45987...maybe-for-good

Until about 2000, I also was dismissive of man-made climate change. Since then, I've become increasingly worried, and even saddened and scared about the impacts witnessed so far, such as the immense environmental degradation of our great national parks and the ongoing deforestation of the western U.S.

Now, man-made climate change resulting from fossil fuel burning poses a definitive existential threat to humanity, which apart from nuclear global warfare and the possibility of a major asteroid strike or maybe a super volcano eruption. Human civilization is at risk, and certainly Florida is experiencing the very early consequences of the failure of our political leadership to deal with man-made climate change despite decades of warnings by the nation's scientists.

Rather than listening to the warnings of the professional scientists, among the best and the brightest humans on the planet, we are at the mercy of a President with the personality of a carnival barker, entirely willing to engage in deceit and incredible aggrandizement to maintain power and influence, and to enrich himself. His falsehoods (it's a "hoax") about man-made climate change are made possible by the billions of dollars that the Koch brothers and others tied to the fossil fuel industry (apparently Rick Scott also is a substantial investor in the fossil fuel industry) have spent through Super Pacs and otherwise to capture the Republican Party. In the process, the Democrats have been cowered into inaction, except in some individual states such as California. It is a tragedy.

See posts 342 and 343 in the following thread and especially the article at the subsequent link.

Florida is turning into an environmental catastrophe

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/u...te-change.html

As for your personal challenges:

1) I don't engage in tit-for-tats about my personal life with anonymous posters in internet social media, but I will say that your described greenhouse gas emission footprint is several times greater than mine currently, and much, much greater on an accumulated lifetime basis.

2) Your greenhouse gas footprint as you've described it in your most recently quoted post and in other posts is many times greater than most American families, especially on an accumulated basis. Three homes with over 10,000 square feet? For how many years??? You likely would have to live in a tent for the rest of your life to make up for just that extravagance. Even your current 3,000 square foot home is 50 percent larger than the mean average U.S. home. On a median basis and per resident floor space basis, it's likely much larger.

https://www.eia.gov/consumption/resi...squarefootage/

You spend several weeks in Maine each summer (see post 20 in the following thread)?

So glad I moved out of Florida last year.

Thirty percent of Americans don't take an annual summer vacation and the average spending for those that do is $2,250 per family. Most families likely visit nearby relatives and many simply camp out, perhaps at a nearby national or state park.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/fami...g-report-2018/

This isn't surprising as a quarter of Americans have no emergency fund savings and just 29 percent of Americans have six months of expenses saved.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/02/abou...y-savings.html

You describe a lifestyle and greenhouse gas footprint far beyond that of the typical American, whom you yet have the audacity to criticize for their pollution footprint. Methinks you're comparing yourself to your privileged peer group, or even the likes of the Trump family.

As for the length and detail of my posts, your objection is laughable. Understandably, like Trump and other man-made climate change deniers, you prefer a debate in which your subjective statements of opinion, even when disgustingly and dangerously inept and inaccurate, are given equal if not greater weight than the objective, detailed arguments of others.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-14-2018 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 01:38 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,671,045 times
I just heard on the radio that the next couple of days high temperatures are supposed to be 94 degrees. That will set new records for this time of year. Quite unusual for it to be this hot in mid-October. However for those that have been paying attention temperatures have been rising for several years. It's definitely a trend and IMO climate change is involved.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:50 AM

WRnative said in my query asking him for the 3 most significant steps he's taken to save Mother Earth:

"1) I don't engage in tit-for-tats about my personal life with anonymous posters in internet social media"

He would not name ONE thing he's doing to improve the environment, let alone Three.

Many environmentalists feel better when they participate in some; river, waterways, beach clean ups, volunteer at a recycling center, ect.. Actually doing something tangible is so much more effective than writing obsessively about it.

You'd also feel better if you bought an electric car, rode your bike whenever possible, stopped eating meat, turned up your A/C 1 degree, and stop buying anything that comes in a plastic container. Drive less miles. Consume less electricity. Change your lightbulbs. Deploy lower energy appliances.

Change your OWN behavior to save Earth. Encourage others to follow your lead. Become an effective environmentalist.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I just heard on the radio that the next couple of days high temperatures are supposed to be 94 degrees. That will set new records for this time of year. Quite unusual for it to be this hot in mid-October. However for those that have been paying attention temperatures have been rising for several years. It's definitely a trend and IMO climate change is involved.
Yes, this October is unusually warm here, but other areas are seeing record lows & the earliest snow ever.

I read that Earth's atmosphere is ~2,450,000,000 year old. All during this 2.45B years, temps have risen & fallen. Ice ages come, and then warming occurs & the ice melts. It's a recurring cycle.

Even before the earliest humans 200,000 years ago, temps rose then fell then rose again. The fluctuation in temps continued when cave men came along, and continues today.

The % of time humans have been on Earth is .008333% of the lifetime of atmosphereic Earth.

The % of time humans have been recording climate data (~150 years) is .00000045% of our atmosphere's life. Yes, geological analysis has allowed humans to look further back, and that analysis also shows cycles of temperature fluctuations in both directions.

Even w/in these warming and cooling cycles, the warming & cooling is not linear. There are short term variations that can last Thousands of years.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, this October is unusually warm here, but other areas are seeing record lows & the earliest snow ever.

I read that Earth's atmosphere is ~2,450,000,000 year old. All during this 2.45B years, temps have risen & fallen. Ice ages come, and then warming occurs & the ice melts. It's a recurring cycle.

Even before the earliest humans 200,000 years ago, temps rose then fell then rose again. The fluctuation in temps continued when cave men came along, and continues today.

The % of time humans have been on Earth is .008333% of the lifetime of atmosphereic Earth.

The % of time humans have been recording climate data (~150 years) is .00000045% of our atmosphere's life. Yes, geological analysis has allowed humans to look further back, and that analysis also shows cycles of temperature fluctuations in both directions.

Even w/in these warming and cooling cycles, the warming & cooling is not linear. There are short term variations that can last Thousands of years.
More disingenuous climate change denier propaganda. Man-made climate change deniers love to confuse earth temperature changes over past eons with unprecedented changes over just several decades. Important marine species, such as coral, face extinction; hurricanes are becoming more severe; oceans are warming increasing the persistence and severity of toxic algal blooms; sea level rise is accelerating; surface temperatures are increasing, and climate change deniers want persons to believe this is not due to man-made climate change resulting from the massive burning of fossil fuels. All the warnings of the world's best climate scientists mean nothing to them.

https://skepticalscience.com/climate...arm-period.htm

https://ourworldindata.org/fossil-fuels

Denials and obfuscations about the reality of man-made climate change and its disastrous consequences are shameful. Don't believe them!

Please read post 333 again.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
What does this have to do with Red Tide. Stay on point, people.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
What does this have to do with Red Tide. Stay on point, people.
Warming oceans are more conducive to more severe and persistent red tide blooms, which historically were more seasonal with die-offs in the winter.

Oceans have absorbed over 90 percent of the greenhouse gas heat resulting from fossil fuel burning, according to scientists. Continued ocean warming could aggravate the red tide blooms even further.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:14 PM

Mote Marine Lab Beach conditions report shows continued improvement in our area. Water color is still moderate, but most respiratory issues are gone. I'm glad Red Tide occurs mostly in the off-season.

I can't wait for the Aqua-Blue water to return.

We need to stop the global warming that fuels Red Tide. China's the biggest consumer of fossile fuels, and Trump is trying to take US manufacturing back from the Chinese who are the Worlds #1 burner of fossible fuels. If America takes it back, we can manufacture things in a way that burns much less fossile fuels, which means less warming which means less Red Tide.

Please support President Trumps' China trade policies, and stop buying all Chinese goods....save the planet by doing something meaningful.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 PM

197 posts, read 183,130 times
Quote:
Mote Marine Lab Beach conditions report shows continued improvement in our area. Water color is still moderate, but most respiratory issues are gone. I'm glad Red Tide occurs mostly in the off-season.

I can't wait for the Aqua-Blue water to return.

We need to stop the global warming that fuels Red Tide. China's the biggest consumer of fossile fuels, and Trump is trying to take US manufacturing back from the Chinese who are the Worlds #1 burner of fossible fuels. If America takes it back, we can manufacture things in a way that burns much less fossile fuels, which means less warming which means less Red Tide.

Please support President Trumps' China trade policies, and stop buying all Chinese goods....save the planet by doing something meaningful.
I want some of what beach43ofus is smoking ASAP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area