Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 12:07 PM

26,056 posts, read 13,067,159 times

Advertisements

This $4,800,000 just funds our LOCAL Red Tide task force. It puts 10 sets of boots on the ground at the front lines where Red Tide is occurring and impacting commerce. This local task force will communicate with Governor DeSantis's State of Florida team as to what they are seeing, hearing, & witnessing firsthand on Red Tide's local impacts to our community that cannot be seen from an office in Tallahassee. This local group (based in Englewood) is also tasked with working with local governments to prevent pollution of all kinds from being released into the water year round. They are also collaborating with the scientists at Mote Marine Laboratory, and the SW Water Management District.

I'd much rather have some local input & control than to have all the shots being called from Tallahassee & Washington DC, wouldn't you?

This doesn't include the $2.4 Billion already approved earlier this year by the State of Florida & the Federal Government to rebuild the Lake O Dam so more water can be retained in the lake which prevents nutrient rich water from being released into the overflow canals leading to the Gulf & Atlantic. They are digging huge water retention fields that will filter the nutrient rich water from Lake O so it can be safely released downstream into the Everglades without harm.

NONE of this was being accomplished under the last political regime of Obama/Scott. They were just kicking the can down the road. I'm grateful that the current team of DeSantis/Trump are FINALLY taking action, short term in the here and now, and long term 50+ years from now. They have a long term plan for Florida's Environment and Waterways which I provided a link to on a prior post for all to see. It includes the comprehensive short & long term plans to test all septic tanks which is already underway. It also investigates all sewer spills for root cause analysis and repair, and fines the guilty party. That is underway for a spill that occurred last week at a Venice construction site, even though none of that spill reached any waterways, and was properly mitigated. The plan is already in action!

The last regime of Obama/Scott couldn't get ANY of this done which is why we are in the mess we are in. Rather than knock Trump/DeSantis, I'm supporting them 100% just like the Orlando Sun Sentinel & the Miami Herald have, and nearly all the Democrat politicians & leaders across our great State.

Some are just jealous that their team couldn't get it done for 8 long years prior, and failed to even make an effort. Shame on them, and kudos to Trump/DeSantis for making this happen. It kills the gloom & doomers that our team is winning, where their team failed us all miserably on Florida's environment.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 08-04-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 12:16 PM

44 posts, read 46,616 times
Default Red Tide Health Effects are Real

I moved to Sarasota early spring. I live in the Gulf Gate area, near Siesta Key Beach. There have been recent reports that show Red Tide in the Sarasota, Siesta Key area. I have developed strong symptoms of Red Tide respiratory problems ... I have not been this sick for years and consider myself a healthy person. Wished I would have done more research in regards to Red Tide before moving to Sarasota. It is detrimentally affecting my health and I have been reading of many others here in Sarasota who are sick from the Red Tide. I work with people who have lived in Sarasota 30+ years and they no longer go in the water.

I've been coming to Sarasota to vacation for years - I've always looked at it as my "healing place" with the sand, saltwater and sun. I'm so disappointed - I will be moving out of Sarasota and Florida ASAP. I value my health over a few months of nice weather in the winter time.

Do research on Red Tide before you decide to move, or at least rent an apartment for the first year before buying. There seems to be quite an effort put into "quieting" the effects of Red Tide on one's health. There are several Facebook pages you access (in FB search, "Red Tide".)

Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM

26,056 posts, read 13,067,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith33 View Post
I moved to Sarasota early spring. I live in the Gulf Gate area, near Siesta Key Beach. There have been recent reports that show Red Tide in the Sarasota, Siesta Key area. I have developed strong symptoms of Red Tide respiratory problems ... I have not been this sick for years and consider myself a healthy person. Wished I would have done more research in regards to Red Tide before moving to Sarasota. It is detrimentally affecting my health and I have been reading of many others here in Sarasota who are sick from the Red Tide. I work with people who have lived in Sarasota 30+ years and they no longer go in the water.

I've been coming to Sarasota to vacation for years - I've always looked at it as my "healing place" with the sand, saltwater and sun. I'm so disappointed - I will be moving out of Sarasota and Florida ASAP. I value my health over a few months of nice weather in the winter time.

Do research on Red Tide before you decide to move, or at least rent an apartment for the first year before buying. There seems to be quite an effort put into "quieting" the effects of Red Tide on one's health. There are several Facebook pages you access (in FB search, "Red Tide".)
Same alarmist post as in the other topic thread.

Plz define "recent"

Plz provide factual support, & examples of these "efforts". Who exactly are reppressing the harmful effects?

Red Tide does not cause respiratory disease, it exasterbates existing conditions a person might already have. Did you have any pre-existing respiratory conditions? Have you developed any since you began coming here that a Doctor has directly attributed to Red Tide? What is the name of your condition that Red Tide caused?

Your claims lack factual support, and are alarmist.

I'll be here waiting for your proofs of these claims. ...but I won't be holding my breath...pardon the pun.

Why is your profile and posting history hidden from view? I suspect you have multiple identities here....craigiri, is that you? Maybe we can get a moderator to reveal more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area