Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 07:29 PM

26 posts, read 38,504 times

Advertisements

My son is finally looking to move out on his own and he is looking at many home builders in the greater Manatee county area.

He really likes Neal communities but they are very pricey compared to what you get square footage wise and they are above his top budget limit. I thought they would bend a bit and offer some significant deals off the current inventory spec homes, but it seems that Neal doesn't play that game. At least that's what they told us back in March and they haven't wavered so far. "We don't cut home or lot prices. You either pay what we're asking or you don't buy."

He's looking for modest size (1800-2000 sq ft), NO CDD (HOA fine) in a ranch home with 2 car garage. His top end is $280K. Many of the communities are crossed of the list because they come with fairly high CDD fees in addition to the HOA fees. That removes quite a few of the candidate builders from our list.

We found a community built by Adams and it's in his budget range but I don't know much about that builder since they are relatively small compared to the big guys? Lennar, D.R. Horton, Pulte, Inland, M/I etc.

Can anyone comment on whether Adams is a decent/reputable builder or share their personal experience?

One thing we're concerned about is the ability to survive during this extended COVID situation. A lot of businesses are closing for good and he's worried that even if he buys a spec home, he might be left without a warranty if Adams goes out of business after the home sale. Similarly he is also thinking of building "stick" home with them. They say about 8-9 months to build brand new home. We are concerned that if they go out of business after providing the down payment etc. and during the next 8-9 months, he'll never see his money again.

Opinions, advice please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 07:48 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Adams is a big company- just not prevalent in this area. They were building like crazy in both places I have previously lived- NC and in Port St Lucie, FL. They are the Walmart of builders. Nothing wrong with them at all, they are just a cheap builder meant to get people in an affordable home. It would be perfect for your son. Hopefully he can keep it and eventually turn it into an investment property later in life! Best of luck!!

Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Always check the various reviews. Any builder will have some bad reviews, but if you see the same complaints over and over.......

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/hous...ams_homes.html

https://adams-homes.pissedconsumer.com/review.html

Old 07-08-2020, 06:14 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Wow - after reading all those complaints - you would be a fool to buy one of their homes.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:37 PM

26 posts, read 38,504 times
Thanks for the help and advice! This kind of confirmed my fears with Adams.

8-9 months for a build is ridiculous in Florida. They aren't selling in the development and Adams is not doing well in the area.

We're going to steer clear and will look for other companies/develpments..

Old 07-08-2020, 05:52 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Having had two winter season homes built in SW FL over the years, (recent one was built in 2013), I would look for existing houses vs new construction, especially for a first home...

Existing as in a couple to several years old may offer much better value, less developer/builder costs, maybe better quality than some of the less than QC stuff I have seen/live in, etc.

Established communities each have some flavor and possibly differing 'flavor' from each other, and the costs/HOA/no CDD, et al can be readily determined by digging in vs the usual bs on the RE sites that list those 'costs'.

First house for son, good for him and you, but why chase a new build vs a plethora of existing SFHs in his price and need range?
My 50Cts...
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area