Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 10:29 AM

1,107 posts, read 560,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVPFord View Post
As my Jewish mother taught me : "Generalizations and Stereotypes exist for good reasons because there is ALWAYS an element of truth in them"

That goes for everybody, and especially migrants to Florida. If that offends anyone who is considering establishing residence to the Great State of Florida, then they don't deal rationally with the true observations, opinions, and experiences of the natives that were here before you decided on your own to move to this great state. Newcomers and/or transplants aren't by-in-large doing any one else a favor - especially when it comes to infrastructure overload, civic resources (police, fire,EMTs, hospitals), travel education, crowding, air quality, water quality, politics/representation, food resources/growing, and culture.

Arrogance or a sense of entitlement doesn't automatically beget acceptance, respect, or agreement. No one is going to "celebrate" your "arrival" - they will respect you and you should respect them. The major group that you will agree with or gravitate to will likely be just like YOU.That should tell you volumes.

I know no one from Florida, GA, AL or LA, SC, TX, TN who is moving to the NE or the Windy City - no one - that too should scream at you - and it's NOT because of the weather in the NE. Most of us here in the South don't want the South to become, behave, communicate, think, or even vote like those other areas in this great Nation.

Cheers - live your life
Yep, it does speak volumes. It tells me that I will be welcomed by a large majority of Florida residents, since the percentage of transplants whom, by your own admission, I "will agree with or gravitate to" form about 65% of the FLA population. Sounds good! Can't wait to get down there!

As for the lesson your mother taught you and to which you appear to subscribe, I'd like to remind you that some of the ugliest generalizations and stereotypes exist about the Jewish people, and the cause of most of the anti-Semitism in the world is the direct result of hateful people believing them. Yet here you are, promoting that type of thinking against other groups of people. Shame on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 01:05 PM

25 posts, read 28,532 times
Well said! I was born and raised in NYC...the great melting pot. I’ve lived among every religion, race and political affiliation. And in all those times, every disagreement ended over a pint or two and a good laugh. As an educated person, I’ve learned to respect that we are all different but we are all still the same.
You’re going to enjoy Sarasota just as much as you enjoy Vegas...people are people. I’m in the process of moving there myself and look forward to the weather and as many outdoor amenities as I handle.
The bottom line is, if they build it, they will come. And we’re coming.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:29 PM

285 posts, read 231,472 times
For the true record and to be precise, 65% of Florida's population in and around Sarasota-Manatee/SWFL are NOT transplants from the Northeast United States !

Again, you're deadass wrong, or wishful thinking. Crazee

You'll never be a Floridian- just like if I moved to Long Island, I'll never be a NYer lol...See? that's just the way it works - you'll never be a southerner, if I moved to MA I'l never be a "yankee" or northerner.......move to east TX or the Panhandle and listen to what they will tell you - or say, Memphis or East TN or Birmingham,. or even Pensacola FL

Have fun, find your Welcome Wagon!

Last edited by CVPFord; 09-05-2020 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Shame on me ?? wow.....I have news for you...even some of the "generalizations" about my fellow Jews are indeed true as well ! some of "generalizations" about latins are indeed true- some of the "generalizations" about Southern Anglos/white are indeed true - some of the "generalizations" about Blacks are indeed true - and even "ethnically", some of the generalizations about Italians in the USA are indeed true -

Yes, some of the generalizations or stereotypes of transplants for the NE are indeed true.

I'm never bothered about truth in generalizations or stereotypes even as a Jew - I deal and look to individuality which is far more important in life.

I'm happy with that knowledge. .Deal with it. ,we need not agree on anything, and I'm fine with that. We will never meet. LOL
All of your posts suggest otherwise. {SMH} Do you really not see the hypocrisy in your statements?

Last edited by 562026; 09-06-2020 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
For the true record and to be precise, 65% of Florida's population in and around Sarasota-Manatee/SWFL are NOT transplants from the Northeast United States !
Provide proof for your claim, please. I got my numbers from the U.S. Census data. What are your numbers and from where are they sourced?

Quote:
You'll never be a Floridian- just like if I moved to Long Island, I'll never be a NYer lol...See? that's just the way it works - you'll never be a southerner, if I moved to MA I'l never be a "yankee" or northerner.......move to east TX or the Panhandle and listen to what they will tell you - or say, Memphis or East TN or Birmingham,. or even Pensacola FL
I'm not a NYer, I'm an American. When I move to Florida, I won't be a Floridian, I'll still be an American. Shame you don't share that sentiment.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:50 AM

Man o man, let it go for godsake ! Your speaking of "nationality" (as American) is a strawman argument - I was speaking solely about statehood not nationality.

Look, many of us are "Americans" but that begs the issue. I've put my life on the line to serve this great nation, not just the State of Florida. Subsequent to that I served in the IC under three US Presidents. Don't tell me about "sentiments" that I don't "share", fair enough? Let's be fair and we can disagree but:

What I asserted and claimed about the the population of SOUTHWEST FLORIDA (i.e. Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Sarasota, Manatee, and parts of Hillsborough counties) are NOT 65% from the "Northeast US corridor".

That's pretty easy to understand. I don't know what kind of narrative or agenda you have about making such a specious assertion about the population of SOUTHWEST FLORIDA.

Have a safe Holiday, and God Bless The United States of America.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Man o man, let it go for godsake ! Your speaking of "nationality" (as American) is a strawman argument - I was speaking solely about statehood not nationality.

Look, many of us are "Americans" but that begs the issue. I've put my life on the line to serve this great nation, not just the State of Florida. Subsequent to that I served in the IC under three US Presidents. Don't tell me about "sentiments" that I don't "share", fair enough? Let's be fair and we can disagree but:

What I asserted and claimed about the the population of SOUTHWEST FLORIDA (i.e. Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Sarasota, Manatee, and parts of Hillsborough counties) are NOT 65% from the "Northeast US corridor".

That's pretty easy to understand. I don't know what kind of narrative or agenda you have about making such a specious assertion about the population of SOUTHWEST FLORIDA.

Have a safe Holiday, and God Bless The United States of America.
I never said 65% of SW Florida were from the NE corridor. I said 65% of the population of Florida were transplants. U.S. Census data supports those numbers. Regardless of actual number in any specific area, no one can deny that there are more transplants from various parts of the country and even the world than there are native Floridians -- The greater point being, no one cares what native Floridians think about us moving there, since there are more of "us" than "you" to make us feel right at home!

You are wasting your time disparaging those of us from the NE and trying to dissuade out-of-state folks from moving to Florida. If anything, "methinks the lady doth protest too much" applies, and you are making SW Florida seem even more desirable by your attempts to keep it all to yourself!

Besides, as you yourself stated in your prior post, we will never meet. So why should I give a rat's behind what you think?

Old 09-06-2020, 11:34 AM

Just anecdotally please know a few facts :

Manatee County, FL = 13% of the population is foreign born,

Sarasota County, FL = 12% county, 17% city are foreign born,

Lee County, FL = 17% of the population is foreign born,

If you overlay the high percentages of newly arrived Hispanics to the populations of just these 3 counties, this would also paint a different picture about where the populations are "from".

Additionally it is unreasonable to assert that a large percentage of these "foreign born" populations come from the Northeast US corridor.

Ditto for say 9% BLACK of the population of Lee County, or 9.3% BLACK population of Manatee County. It is also unreasonable to assert that a large percentage of these Black populations come from the NE alone

It is certainly unreasonable to assert that the large in Hispanic populations in these counties are from the NE corridor ! that's laughable - try Texas, Mexico, Puerto Rico (see Organge County as well), Honduras, Guatemala , Colombia and beyond. And these groups have very large families and are exploding in household numbers like no other population group, and they damn sure don't "travel or relocate" from the NE US corridor.

Finally, the US Census numbers LAG reality specifically in Hispanic population groups and their growth. These populations *ain't" coming from Long Island.

Go back to sleep lol or really wake up

Old 09-06-2020, 11:41 AM

I'm going to end this once and for all to spare myself and everyone else from any more of your incessant ramblings.

You and I have more in common than you think.

1. I am a Conservative, Trump-supporting, Republican-voting, pro-police person, not a wild liberal.
2. I am a U.S. Army veteran.
3. I am not Jewish, but I have Jewish family, many Jewish friends, and a Jewish ex-husband.

It's unfortunate that your immovable bias towards and generalizations about NYers have caused you to be at odds with me when we otherwise might have been friends. Your ramblings, however, have exposed a level of harshness and closed-mindedness towards people about whom you know nothing other than their geographical origin, and therein lies a major difference between us. I give everyone a chance.

If you were truly a "southerner", as you so proudly assert, then you would embrace the age-old, beautiful concept of southern hospitality. You represent the exact opposite. Your geographic roots may be southern, but your soul most certainly is not.

I will no longer respond to your posts. Instead, whenever you try to discourage or disparage a poster who comes here seeking information or support regarding a move to SW Florida, I will PM them to assure them that you are an unfortunate anomaly on these boards and that, as they will find, everyone else is helpful and welcoming.

Finally, as they say in the south...

...Bless your heart.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post

If you were truly a "southerner", as you so proudly assert, then you would embrace the age-old, beautiful concept of southern hospitality. You represent the exact opposite. Your geographic roots may be southern, but your soul most certainly is not.

You see AGAIN ? I have only attacked the content/assertions/data of your posts and comments not YOU personally.

You know that personal attacks are against the TOS of City Data ?

Every SW FL resident doesn't think the same, we're not monolithic, and we're not sycophants for the benefit of people wanting desperately to move to SW FL or anywhere else. Posters don't work for lthe Chamber of Commerce or Welcome Wagon. All of us have a set of experiences and opinions. Painting an unnecessarily rosy picture about the area or even transplants can be misleading and serves no one in re over-growth, taxed infrastructure, over-building, misuse of limited resources etc.

The purpose of this board is not necessarily to become a booster for The Chamber or the RE industry, or in to order increase migratory patterns for the State of Florida.

Over-population is never a good thing when limited resources are at stake. Everyone suffers when this happens.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area