Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2024, 11:35 AM

9,554 posts, read 4,858,542 times

Advertisements

Charter schools continue to grow across the Tampa Bay area

For full article:

https://www.wusf.org/education/2024-...tampa-bay-area

In the Manatee County School District, enrollment in both charter and non-charter schools has increased. According to school district spokesperson Michael Barber, growth and development on the eastern side of the county, especially, is driving the student population boom.

The district gained more than 1,200 students since the end of last school year, according to Barber. A new K-8, middle school and high school are slated to be built in the next five to seven years to accommodate the continued growth.

"We have a tremendous amount of development going on, especially east of I-75," said Barber, "All of our schools [in that area] are at or over capacity."

Charter schools are contributing to that growth more significantly as well, said Barber. The district has about 50 traditional public schools and 15 charter schools, three of which were created in the last few years. And, Barber said, multiple groups are in line to apply for charter school status currently.

"We've never lived in a more competitive environment for education," said Barber, "There will be gains and losses [in student enrollment]. Each school wants to present itself as the best option for parents, families and students."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 11:42 AM

North Port family reunited with family pet who went missing after Christmas

For full article:

https://www.newsbreak.com/north-port...fter-christmas

Biggie, a French bulldog, ran away from his North Port home on his first birthday.

Somehow, he ended up in Ohio.

Two days after Christmas, Phil Adams saw his dog run across Price Boulevard. He and his children looked for him to no avail. Adams’ 6-year-old son made “lost dog” posters for the neighborhood.

Two weeks later, two boys told Adams they saw Biggie. He then heard Biggie had been dumped into a backyard. He called police Jan. 6 and a family friend created a GoFundMe account to help bring back Biggie.

“We were trying to keep away the scammers,” Adams said. “When a person has a missing pet, some people take advantage and I didn’t have time for that. Everyday we took our other dog out, my son would scream for Biggie to come back home.”

Adams updated his story on social media then he used a private investigator to help. She found there was some connection to Manatee County and Ohio. Adams circulated missing posters online in those new areas.

Within two days of announcing there was a reward, Adams received a call from a man claiming he had Biggie.

“The man calls me and says ‘I have your dog, I just want to make sure my family is safe and that we are all going to be OK,’ and I said, I just want to come get my dog,” Adams said. “I asked how did my dog come into his possession?”

The man said a relative had found the dog and brought it north, he said.

Adams said the stranger wanted to take Biggie to facility for Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Ohio.

“I was like: ‘Ohio? How did my dog get to Ohio?’” Adams said. “I told him I would meet him at the airport, his local police department, the fire department. I just wanted to set up an exchange and I understood the need for his safety.”

Adams said the man insisted on going to the SPCA.

“That was my third red flag,” he said. “I felt like this man and his family fell in love with my dog and didn’t want to give him back.”

Old 01-17-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
'It will make us thrive': New Palmetto convention hotel set to open this spring (Video)

For full article & video:

https://news.yahoo.com/us-thrive-pal...212453505.html

PALMETTO, Fla. - Eight stories high and providing a breathtaking view of the Manatee River, with 252 rooms, The Marriott Palmetto Resort and Spa is nearing completion.

"This is where we will connect directly to the Bradenton Area Convention Center, their meeting space and ballroom," said Tony DeRusso the managing director.

A 48-million dollar renovation and expansion of the Bradenton Area Convention Center is underway. Combined with the hotel, Manatee County’s Tourism Director Elliot Falcione said it’s bound to have a positive impact on the area.
This is a different video about the new Palmetto hotel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F50_EMCJHg

Old 01-17-2024, 12:26 PM

Hulk Hogan rescues teenage girl from flipped car in Tampa

A 17-year-old girl was rescued from an upside-down vehicle following a crash on the Veteran’s Expressway by wrestler Hulk Hogan, according to TMZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4WSmWee524

Old 01-17-2024, 12:41 PM

565 posts, read 561,917 times
Quote:
Hulk Hogan rescues teenage girl from flipped car in Tampa

A 17-year-old girl was rescued from an upside-down vehicle following a crash on the Veteran’s Expressway by wrestler Hulk Hogan, according to TMZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4WSmWee524
He put those 36" pythons to work!

Old 01-17-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Venice's PGT will entertain counter to $3 billion merger with Tampa-based Masonite

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ec8f1821&ei=28

PGT Innovations will entertain an unsolicited offer from a private Pennsylvania-headquartered company that could upset an acquisition deal from a Tampa firm valued at $3 billion announced last month.

A statement from PGT Innovations on Monday said the most recent offer was "not superior" to the deal struck last month, but it was good enough to keep talking with the new suitor.

Miter Brands, a company headquartered in Gratz, Pennsylvania, would purchase all of PGT Innovations (NYSE: PGTI) stock for $41.50 in an all cash deal, or 50 cents more per share than the $3 billion deal with Tampa-based Masonite International Corporation (NYSE: DOOR) announced in December.

The proposed transaction with Masonite would see PGT shareholders retain 16% of the combined company after closing, which PGT Innovations noted in a news release on Monday as potential upside to the deal with Masonite.

There would also be a $84 million penalty for breaking the agreement with Masonite.

Still, PGT Innovations will entertain Miter Brands offer, according to the company's news release.

“While the PGTI Board of Directors believes the transaction with Masonite remains the best option to maximize value for our stockholders, the improved consideration and near-term value certainty in a potential all-cash transaction with Miter is worth exploring if Miter is able to adequately resolve several issues with its proposal,” President and CEO Jeff Jackson said.
Venice's PGTI cancels merger with Tampa company for all-cash deal with Pennsylvania firm

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...rm/ar-AA1n8sXX

Venice-based PGT Innovations (NYSE: PGTI) has terminated a $3 billion deal with Tampa-based Masonite (NYSE: DOOR) in favor of an all cash offer from Miter Brands, according to a news release.

The new merger agreement calls for the private Pennsylvania-based company to acquire PGT Innovations for $42 per share. The news release put the total transaction "enterprise value" at about $3.1 billion.

Masonite also announced the termination of the previous merger deal, noting it would be paid the $84 million termination fee required to break the deal. The company also did not counter the offer made by Miter Brands. Miter Brands will pay the $84 million fee, according to a news release from the private company.

“The decision to waive our right to increase our offer reflects our commitment to financial discipline and rigor in our strategic investments,” said Howard Heckes, president and CEO of Masonite.

The Miter offer reflects a 60% premium on PGT Innovations' stock price prior to details on the possible acquisition becoming public. The Venice-based company's stock value is up more than 100% compared to a year ago, a meteoric rise in value for PGTI shareholders. Last Jan. 17 the stock price was $19.80.

PGTI, one of the largest employers in Sarasota County, has long been a supporter of the local business community, often sponsoring local Chamber of Commerce events, with their employees serving with community organizations.

A request seeking comment on impacts to the PGTI workforce once the deal closes was not immediately returned Wednesday.

Last edited by wondermint2; 01-17-2024 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-17-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
This an opinion letter from a recent 'Letters to the Editor' column in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.

Nature lover 'heartsick' about devastation in new Nature Park at Bobby Jones Golf Course

For the full 'Letters to the Editor' column with more letters:

https://www.newsbreak.com/sarasota-f...es-golf-course

Nature Park at Bobby Jones a ‘sick joke’

I am heartsick.

Walking in the “Nature Park” next to the new Bobby Jones Golf Course, I saw devastation.

Where huge and beautiful oaks and other mature trees previously stood, the land looks clear-cut. Is the enormous mountain of wood chips proof of “logging” during the years when the area was closed?

Most of the nearly 300-acre tract now consists of sod-covered expanses with very little shade. I saw no old ponds. The few new, shade-less palm trees will be of scant comfort to those who want to golf or walk during our sizzling Sarasota summers.

The so-called Nature Park is a sick joke.

The sparse stands of trees that remain are largely infested with invasive Brazilian peppers. The nature trail goes around two man-made lakes that look a lot like retention ponds.

Wildlife has not returned: I saw only one egret, with no sign of the flocks of egrets, ibis and blue herons from earlier times walking the course. Are there still deer?

The Conservation Foundation of the Gulf Coast claimed it would make sure there would be a genuine nature preserve. Are the foundation and the city commissioners satisfied with this vast expanse of shadeless sod “prairie?”
This is a reply letter to the above letter.

For today's full 'Letters to the Editor' column from the Sarasota Herald-Tribune:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bo...ab810368&ei=17

Bobby Jones Nature Park fan: Fabulous, not devastated, and will improve with time

I read a letter Jan. 12 lamenting the lack of nature in the Bobby Jones Nature Park, which opened recently (“Nature Park at Bobby Jones a ‘sick joke’”).

I wanted to provide a counterbalance based upon my experience there. I live nearby and have walked the trails a dozen times or so.

I attended a briefing last winter by the architect of the layout and was impressed by the project's holistic approach. A prime design goal was the restoration of the original, more meandering water flow, which would provide beneficial filtration as part of the Phillippi Creek watershed.

A second objective was the overall health of all the trees, which required that some be removed. Many folks expressed concern at this, but the arborist's input was that this was the best approach for the entire system.

As for the wildlife, I can attest to seeing dozens of types of birds, including herons, ibis, ducks, a kestrel and even a bald eagle!

Clearly, a lot of the vegetation and cover was recently planted, but I have no doubt it will mature and fill in with time.

I think the Nature Park is a fabulous resource for our community and will only improve with time.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:50 AM

Jacaranda Library celebrating 30 years

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ja...adaeb405&ei=35

The Frances T. Bourne Jacaranda Library is celebrating its 30th anniversary with an all day “sea-themed” event happening on Jan. 27.

The library was founded by literacy advocate Frances T. Bourne on Jan. 15, 1994, and named in Bourne’s honor on Dec. 10, 1995.

The fun kicks off at 10 a.m. on Saturday, at Jacaranda Library, 4134 Woodmere Park Blvd., Venice, with festivities concluding around 3:30 p.m.

Community members can attend the big celebration to experience educational programming, live demonstrations, musical performances and much more.

Here is the schedule of events:

Old 01-18-2024, 04:55 AM

The Gulf Islands Ferry Service Makes its Maiden Voyage

For full article:

https://www.srqmagazine.com/srq-dail...-Maiden-Voyage

Last Sunday, the Gulf Islands Ferry Service made its long anticipated debut after months and months of planning, cross municipal coordination and sea trials with the Coast Guard. The ferry service, which runs from the day dock in downtown Bradenton to the Anna Maria City pier on Anna Maria Island and back, is available Friday through Sunday and takes about 35 minutes each way.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:59 AM

Free outdoor festivals and more fun things to do in Sarasota, Bradenton area this weekend

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/oth...nd/ar-AA1naBTS

Plan ahead, especially for restaurant reservations, as tourist season has officially arrived in Sarasota and Manatee counties. In addition to dining out, you will want to discover the biggest and best events, and we've got you covered with five of our January favorites happening in our area this weekend.

For food enthusiasts like us, don't miss the chance to explore one of the two food truck rallies happening this weekend and keep in mind that the Manatee County Fair, which offers a smorgasbord of delightfully decadent food, continues through the weekend.

Leading our list, though, is Embracing Our Differences, the free outdoor art exhibit that celebrates the start of its 21st anniversary with a free grand opening celebration on Sunday featuring food trucks, family-friendly activities and a performance by the region's top reggae band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area