Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,951 times

Advertisements

hi my florida friends... just thought you all would like to see some pics of our recent ice storm here in CT.. it was brutal. these are shots on my road

Click image for larger version

Name:	ice storm and christmas party 08 027.jpg
Views:	14485
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	33007

Name:	ice storm and christmas party 08 035.jpg
Views:	8211
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	33008

Name:	ice storm and christmas party 08 031.jpg
Views:	25849
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	33009

Name:	ice storm and christmas party 08 024.jpg
Views:	3712
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	33010

someday i wont have to deal with this anymore... cant wait to be in florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Holy smokes that looks cold! The pictures are really pretty but I just can't see how living in weather that cold can be fun. Maybe to visit but not to live in-then again I'm a native Floridian and have never seen snow so what do I know? Hopefully, you'll sell your home quickly and make it on down here.

I love the last pic-very pretty.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 PM

190 posts, read 764,553 times
Default we got a long winter ahead of us!

HOLY COW.....YIKES

I thought we were being pummeled here in Wisconsin, and we are, but only snow. It just keeps snowing and snowing and snowing. Snow can be plowed but not ice, that is some serious business tearing down power lines like that. I wonder if the people who have never experienced northern weather can truly appreciate what we go though. This is the worst winter I have seen in a loooong time. I really want out

Thanks for the photo's ...awesome shots

Old 12-24-2008, 05:39 AM

i want out too!!!! who will buy a house in this mess? lol. after all the ice then... we got slammed with all the snow! 3 inches an hour last friday. we got a good foot of snow.. its awful driving in it..... when your car just starts slipping away from your controll. very scary. not to mention haveing to shop in it.. pushing a shopping cart! thank god i did most of my christmas shopping online and early but i still have to buy food!
i am so looking forward to a warmer lifestyle. hope to see you in florida in the spring! i dont know if i can survive another one like this.. just happy oil prices dropped.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,733 times
I've seen sooo many reports of sever winter weather this year. People without power for days with temps in the teens. I spend time on a forum for orchid growers and one of the regulars posted a photo of ice on the inside of her windows.

But I've seen posts by people that are finding this winter weather invigorating.

Like you hdzup3 I'm grateful that the price of energy has gone down, people can better afford to heat their homes now. It's times like now that I really appreciate what I have here in SW Florida.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
i want out too!!!! who will buy a house in this mess? lol. after all the ice then... we got slammed with all the snow! 3 inches an hour last friday. we got a good foot of snow.. its awful driving in it..... when your car just starts slipping away from your controll. very scary. not to mention haveing to shop in it.. pushing a shopping cart! thank god i did most of my christmas shopping online and early but i still have to buy food!
i am so looking forward to a warmer lifestyle. hope to see you in florida in the spring! i dont know if i can survive another one like this.. just happy oil prices dropped.
Just think how Santa feels. His raindeer aren't too happy having to slip and slide all over the place either!

Have a Merry Christmas! Hope your shopping is all done so you can hang you stockings by the fire! Wooohooo, your husband will like that part!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:17 PM

414 posts, read 1,246,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I've seen sooo many reports of sever winter weather this year. People without power for days with temps in the teens. I spend time on a forum for orchid growers and one of the regulars posted a photo of ice on the inside of her windows.

But I've seen posts by people that are finding this winter weather invigorating.

Like you hdzup3 I'm grateful that the price of energy has gone down, people can better afford to heat their homes now. It's times like now that I really appreciate what I have here in SW Florida.
]

FLBob,
You are right on target about the oil prices. I am dead serious about this. With the wicked weather here in the Northeast and the economy tanking, if the price of oil were to be $4.00/gallon, many people would be forced to make the cruel choice between freezing to death and starving to death. People in the south have ZERO idea the cost of heating a modest house when heating oil is $4.00/gallon.
Be good and save a fish for me on Venice Pier.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:04 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,733 times
smiledoc1 - You stated exactly what I feared; that many would in fact have a tough decision. I was hearing people suggest that many would be spending $800+ a month to heat their home this winter with $4/gal heating oil. It's still a tough bill at $2/gal.

Don't worry we have plenty of fish.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:16 PM

774 posts, read 2,383,222 times
Hang in there Hdzup3...I know exactly what you're going through.

Coming from that awful weather makes us appreciate Florida a lot more.

Good Luck and....come on down!

Mikey

Old 12-26-2008, 07:33 AM

thankyou for understanding how hard it can be here.. i am greatful for the lower heating prices.. were going thru pellets like mad.. those arent to cheap.
i am just letting things happen as they are going to these days. i was getting a little crazy trying so hard to have my prayers answered.. i have had some things happen here in the recent weeks, that have made me realize i am still here for a reason.. when the time is right, i will be there. cant wait! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area