Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Sarasota: buy a house, find a job, foreclosures, realtor, rent to own.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,627 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in South Florida and am moving to Sarasota in a month. Don't know where I'll live, though. Moving b/c I like the area, plus SFL is too wild and crazy. No job yet, reasonable commute to a hospital a plus. Would like to buy, rent to own, or rent for a half year or less (so I can buy) a house. Need plenty of square footage. Desire a rural feel, non-HOA or minimal, big backyard (ideally fenced), and plenty of privacy. I have 2 small, quiet dogs, plus several tortoises -- don't need anybody freaking out about reptiles. A pool and/or water at location is a plus, just not a public beach. I'm single, middle-aged with no kids, and don't care about schools (except to avoid them during rush hour . Prefer old people to kids and families, but basically prefer to be left alone. If I rent, the landlord needs to be hands-off unless needed. I'd prefer to buy, but don't know where. I'm a first-time homebuyer and can probably afford what I need, if I knew where it was. Does anybody have any helpful ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I think where you live might depend on where you can find a job. I surely wouldn't move here without one. That being said, you might want to check out North Port since you mentioned a more rural feel.

Right now you could pick up a newer 3/2 for under $100K or around $900 per month rent. Since you are not familiar with the area I would suggest renting for a while until you get a feel for which area you like best. That way you're not rushed into anything and you can take your time looking. Many people pick up rentals for a few months while they are looking around for a home to buy or the right home to buy. There are many great deals right now with all the foreclosures and all banks require a pre-approval letter to submit an offer so you would have to have that in order as well.

Venice might be another option for you. Although most of Venice is not as rural as North Port there are some areas that are. Venice also has an average age of 68 as opposed to North Port's average age of around 40.

Another consideration is price. Generally North Port would be your most reasonable prices, then Venice and then Sarasota. But you'd probably have more of a chance landing a job closer to the Sarasota area due to the higher number of businesses. What line of work are you in?

Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,567 times
Hi, I live in South Florida and am moving to Sarasota in a month. Don't know where I'll live, though. Moving b/c I like the area, plus SFL is too wild and crazy. No job yet, reasonable commute to a hospital a plus. Would like to buy, rent to own, or rent for a half year or less (so I can buy) a house. Need plenty of square footage. Desire a rural feel, non-HOA or minimal, big backyard (ideally fenced), and plenty of privacy. I have 2 small, quiet dogs, plus several tortoises -- don't need anybody freaking out about reptiles. A pool and/or water at location is a plus, just not a public beach. I'm single, middle-aged with no kids, and don't care about schools (except to avoid them during rush hour . Prefer old people to kids and families, but basically prefer to be left alone. If I rent, the landlord needs to be hands-off unless needed. I'd prefer to buy, but don't know where. I'm a first-time homebuyer and can probably afford what I need, if I knew where it was. Does anybody have any helpful ideas? Thanks

Check out Parrish. It’s Exit 229 off of I75, Moccasin Wallow Road, the last exit in north Manatee County. VERY rural, on a stretch of over 10 miles between US41 & 301 there’s a handful of housing developments, that’s it, no stores, gas stations, nothing – other than cow pastures, tomato farms and forests. I live in one of the developments 1 mile off of I75 and am 20 minutes from Sarasota, St. Pete and Brandon (Tampa) and less than that to Bradenton and Palmetto. Great for when I want to go to the beach, do some good shopping, attend art shows, theater, concerts or events in a “hub” town. I’m 15 minutes to ½ hour away from Manatee Memorial, Lakewood Ranch Medical Center, Blake Medical Center, 3 hospitals in St. Pete and a couple in Brandon. Very strategically placed. My house is for sale, I’ve got a 3/2 with an oversized 2 car garage, pool (with screened fence around it), 6ft. privacy fence on ¼ acre. I take my German Shepherds to 100’s of acres with a lake everyday for a run – that’s 1 ½ miles from my house. All middle aged + people on my block and all wonderful. I’m middle aged, single with no kids too and have been very happy here. Don’t listen to that realtor and move to Northport or Venice, there’s nothing there, maybe a hospital but that’s it. I work from home now and am hoping to buy a smaller house on 5 acres. Let me know if you are interested, I’ll send you the MLS listing. I wish you all the best!!

Last edited by lexlo; 11-27-2008 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
I really couldn't say much except everything you've mentioned sounds cool but for most people to give an input, we would need to know your employment field.

If you don't have to work, can buy your home outright & have cash to play with for at least a year...great...otherwise....

Job situation in the Bradenton/Sarasota area is dire straits. Please take that into consideration.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I really couldn't say much except everything you've mentioned sounds cool but for most people to give an input, we would need to know your employment field.

If you don't have to work, can buy your home outright & have cash to play with for at least a year...great...otherwise....

Job situation in the Bradenton/Sarasota area is dire straits. Please take that into consideration.
Thanks, I have several skills sets and can work anywhere, including from home. Right now I just need a place to land.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlo View Post
Hi, I live in South Florida and am moving to Sarasota in a month. Don't know where I'll live, though. Moving b/c I like the area, plus SFL is too wild and crazy. No job yet, reasonable commute to a hospital a plus. Would like to buy, rent to own, or rent for a half year or less (so I can buy) a house. Need plenty of square footage. Desire a rural feel, non-HOA or minimal, big backyard (ideally fenced), and plenty of privacy. I have 2 small, quiet dogs, plus several tortoises -- don't need anybody freaking out about reptiles. A pool and/or water at location is a plus, just not a public beach. I'm single, middle-aged with no kids, and don't care about schools (except to avoid them during rush hour . Prefer old people to kids and families, but basically prefer to be left alone. If I rent, the landlord needs to be hands-off unless needed. I'd prefer to buy, but don't know where. I'm a first-time homebuyer and can probably afford what I need, if I knew where it was. Does anybody have any helpful ideas? Thanks

Check out Parrish. It’s Exit 229 off of I75, Moccasin Wallow Road, the last exit in north Manatee County. VERY rural, on a stretch of over 10 miles between US41 & 301 there’s a handful of housing developments, that’s it, no stores, gas stations, nothing – other than cow pastures, tomato farms and forests. I live in one of the developments 1 mile off of I75 and am 20 minutes from Sarasota, St. Pete and Brandon (Tampa) and less than that to Bradenton and Palmetto. Great for when I want to go to the beach, do some good shopping, attend art shows, theater, concerts or events in a “hub” town. I’m 15 minutes to ½ hour away from Manatee Memorial, Lakewood Ranch Medical Center, Blake Medical Center, 3 hospitals in St. Pete and a couple in Brandon. Very strategically placed. My house is for sale, I’ve got a 3/2 with an oversized 2 car garage, pool (with screened fence around it), 6ft. privacy fence on ¼ acre. I take my German Shepherds to 100’s of acres with a lake everyday for a run – that’s 1 ½ miles from my house. All middle aged + people on my block and all wonderful. I’m middle aged, single with no kids too and have been very happy here. Don’t listen to that realtor and move to Northport or Venice, there’s nothing there, maybe a hospital but that’s it. I work from home now and am hoping to buy a smaller house on 5 acres. Let me know if you are interested, I’ll send you the MLS listing. I wish you all the best!!
Sounds great, I'd be interested in the listing. Would you consider a rental lease for the time being, or a possible lease to own? You're looking for another house and so am I. Problem is, my lease is up on 12/22 and I don't, and can't, jump into a purchase sight-unseen. I also don't know the area. If you can't do this, I'd still like your listing for possible future reference. If any of your neighbors are open to renting, or if you know of a really sharp realtor who deals with rentals, please let me know. Thanks a lot! Sorry to reply so late to your fine post, moving is so hectic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area