Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 14,959 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and am moving to Venice Dec. 20th. I am aware that it is a very small town and I cannot for the life of me find any postings for jobs in the area.

I have a college degree in Fashion Merchandising but am sure I wouldn't be able to get a fashion job there lol. I just need a small part - time job. Does anyone know of anywhere I could go to or have any connections, wink wink. I didn't really want to have to drive to Sarasota all the time. And I belive that's the closest large city. Thank you soo much if you have any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 04:24 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
You're right, it is a small town. The closest you'll get in Venice to the fashion industry probably working at a TJMaxx, Bealls, etc.

Craigslist is probably a good place to start your search. You could also check the local papers-The Sarasota Herald Tribune & Venice Gondolier. Like I said in a previous post-jobs are scarce around here as they are in the rest of the country. You might need to change your career direction a little to fit in with your new surroundings.

These are the fastest growing industries in Sarasota county:
Top 10 Fastest Growing Employment Sectors in Greater Sarasota
  1. Museums, Historical Sites, and Other Installations
  2. Internet Publishing & Broadcasting
  3. Social Assistance
  4. Retail Furniture and Home Furnishings
  5. Administrative & Support Services - banking, Health care, IT, Green Industries, other
  6. Ambulatory Health Care
  7. Warehousing and Storage
  8. Wood Product Mfg
  9. Misc Store Retailers
  10. Merchant Wholesalers
An Additional 10 Fast Growing Occupations
  1. Personal & Laundry Services
  2. State Government Occupations
  3. Retail Electronics & Appliances
  4. Online and Catalog Retailers
  5. Retail Building Materials and Garden Supplies
  6. Performing Arts, Spectator Sports, and Related Industries -Tourism, Hospitality, etc.
  7. ISPs, Web Search Portals, and Data Processing Services
  8. Repair & Maintenance
  9. Retail Health and Personal Care Products
  10. Credit Intermediation

Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 PM

^Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i checked craigslist already and pretty much found nothing. And I did look at 1 news paper but forget teh name of it....darnitt

Old 12-08-2008, 12:41 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
The Sarasota Herald has barely any job postings, don't waste your time. Getting a part-time job is a full time job. If you plan to stick with your degree, you might be able to find work as a mgr. or asst. mgr. in retail...you can't imagine the number of people out of work or about to be out of work because the market is so bad that one can be replaced by cheaper help. Businesses are letting go their people & hiring new people at half the rate of pay. Imagine being replaced like that?! Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 PM

102 posts, read 309,562 times
I am in Englewood, Fl. I came from California four years ago. Venice Florida is mostly older retired folks and elderly. Certified Nursing Assistant jobs are always available but don't offer much pay or benefits unless you work at a nursing facility. There are a lot of tourist shops and small businesses that sell tropical clothing and things and cater to the older, prudent and mature crowd. Waitressing pays only $2 - $3 per hour, so don't bother with that. Housekeeping pays an average of $9 per hour at Royal Maids in Venice. Nice, decent people from England own the company and offer a company car if you agree to be the team leader. The Tervis Tumbler manufacturing company right off of the freeway just north of Venice hires temporary seasonal for about $8 - $9 per hour. There aren't any good blue collar jobs around here unless you are a man and a heavy laborer. You could try to work at Bells department store since your field is fashion. They mostly hire older senior women to work there. The older and retired are considered to be more reliable as they don't have children and don't have much of a life but they are very slow and offer poor customer service. I would do a lot of research before you move here. A lot of people with families regret moving here and become bitter. Check out Florida's jobs, rent and ect. on Craigslist.org.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times
the tampa bay job market including bradenton and sarasota is one of the wrost in the country even during good economic times....u need a very specific niche in demand skill set here to make money or be a smart entrepenuer and do your own thing

Old 12-20-2008, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 25,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionslut View Post
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and am moving to Venice Dec. 20th. I am aware that it is a very small town and I cannot for the life of me find any postings for jobs in the area.

I have a college degree in Fashion Merchandising but am sure I wouldn't be able to get a fashion job there lol. I just need a small part - time job. Does anyone know of anywhere I could go to or have any connections, wink wink. I didn't really want to have to drive to Sarasota all the time. And I belive that's the closest large city. Thank you soo much if you have any advice
I live in Venice. great place to live and I love it. Jobs? well that`s another story. Very difficult to find anything suitable. There`s no industry here and that`s one of the biggest problems. It`s either health care, restaurants or retail. If I was in fashion I would look strongly in St. Armands Circle [Sarasota]. It`s gorgeous there and you`ll find several nice shops like Black & White, etc. Hope this helps alittle.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:52 AM

i had to re-write this! but basicllly what i sadi retail wont pay back my styent loans, jan 20th starts skincare school. has85% job placement. Dont care if it s teh ebst i just need somthing to get me by fior the year. advice?

oj i also was offered A JOB as personal asst in ft meyers which is a hike. if worse comes to worse.vhe keeps asking how much i want i and i have no clue about the way of libing down here. h4lp, east work easy guy thouhj

Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
why are you moving where you can't get work?
relationship/marriage?
tough place to make a living
I know--my daughter teaches in Sarasota county--and her husband travels week in/week out because he can't find job in area that pays a decent salary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area