Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,276 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering Ringling as a possible choice to further his education, so I am writing to see we might fit into Sarasota okay. We are both in our late thirties, living in Los Angeles currently, with a toddler. My concerns are finding a graphic design job of some sort for myself to support us, finding a non-religious preschool for my daughter, and just trying to get the lay of land in terms of politics, housing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judebear View Post
My husband is considering Ringling as a possible choice to further his education, so I am writing to see we might fit into Sarasota okay. We are both in our late thirties, living in Los Angeles currently, with a toddler. My concerns are finding a graphic design job of some sort for myself to support us, finding a non-religious preschool for my daughter, and just trying to get the lay of land in terms of politics, housing, etc.
Man, I wish I could talk my oldest one into going to Ringling but she's a native Floridian and has her heart set on going out, spreading her wings and moving to a different state.

My uncle, who's in his late 50's, graduated from Ringling and now is in charge of displays in Dallas, TX for Neiman Marcus. He said that he didn't realize how respected the school was in the industry until he got out in the "real world".

You should not have any problem finding a non religious pre-school for your daughter. Try New Gate Montessori, I think Julie Rohr Academy might have preschool as well.

You'd probably fit in quite well in the Southside neighborhood close to downtown Sarasota. It's pretty eclectic and artsy.

On the job front it might be a little tougher. I would not move here without a job nailed down. Like most of the US, jobs are somewhat scarce.

So you get an idea of the area. New College of Florida which is down the street and around the corner was ranked the #2 college for gay community accepted, #4 for most politically active students, #15 least religious students, #4 most liberal students, according to the Princeton Review.

May oldest daughter took a few summer classes over at Ringling and I would say it has a pretty similar vibe to New College.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM

65 posts, read 295,886 times
hi - i am new to the area-been here only 6 months- and as far as i can tell- its the type of town with something for everyone! total melting pot of ages, politics, socioeconomic status, etc etc. plenty of artsy liberals for you to meet! its a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area