Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM

139 posts, read 545,669 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to FL when we sell our house here in SC. We previously lived in St Augustine & loved it, and visited Venice a lot and really liked it too. My mother lives in Venice and when we were talking about where we were going to look for a house she said to stay away from Bradenton. She's older and goes a lot by what her neighbors say so couldn't give me a real reason. Can anyone tell me why we would not want to consider that town? This is not to insult anyone, we're just looking at houses on line and they seem to be pretty nice there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM

192 posts, read 721,689 times
Have you asked your mother why she said that to you? Maybe she knows something that those of us who like living here don't.

The homes you are responding favorably too are most likely in East Bradenton. There was a lot of new development in the last 15 years east of I75, and or right next to, the west side of 175 around 70 and University.

Most people who live out east, especially families, really like it, and the houses are very nice.

Complaints about Bradenton tend to be aimed towards specific parts of West Bradenton related to crime where there is lower income housing and some gang activity. The crime rate there is relative to where you are coming from though.

There are members here who live in west Bradenton, who love it and have never had a problem with crime.

There are very nice homes in parts of West Bradenton as well.

From past posts here, Bradenton seems to be a love it or hate it sort of town. It's a large town at that, with many diverse areas that are mini towns of their own.

Out East is it's own world and relatively new to the Manasota scene.

What neighborhoods are you looking at?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM

139 posts, read 545,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeStager View Post
Complaints about Bradenton tend to be aimed towards specific parts of West Bradenton related to crime where there is lower income housing and some gang activity. The crime rate there is relative to where you are coming from though.
That's probably it knowing her. Just stuff she heard Like you said it's all relative. Heck we lived outside Odum, Ga (population 400) and they had drug problems with meth & crack! As for specfic areas I was just looking in general and mentioned it to her & she was all upset about it. Will check it out further and thanks for describing the areas, it will be easier to check them out on a map

Old 04-02-2009, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 11,948 times
Bradenton is pretty cool. I lived there for years. You have to do your research though, since like anywhere else it has its bad areas. Down by the beach is good. Like Home said, east Bradenton is very nice too. But it can change quick. 9th St. E - not so good. Post up and look for some specifics before you settle. But generally, Bradenton is not bad at all.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
While Bradenton does have a higher than average crime rate if you look at stats ( and the news) most of it happens in certain areas. I live right between Bradenton and Sarasota and go into both towns. Frankly, there is almost as much crime in Sarasota as Bradenton, you can't avoid crime it's going to happen, it's everywhere. One should be aware of their surroundings, and be careful that's all. Stay out of the known bad areas.

I go into Bradenton all the time, I actually really like it there, for me the best parts are it's beaches, the downtown waterfront, beautiful Riverview Blvd. and Manatee Ave. Worst areas are Cortez road and the area just south and east of there.

Bradenton has a feel of a "town that time forgot", which I like a lot. Bradenton is also doing a lot to try to clean itself up. In today's paper there is an article about a beautiful new artist condo complex that is going to be built on US41 where some derelict buildings used to be. This will be the western gateway to the existing Village of the Arts. Bradenton also is working on promoting their image as a cultural destination. There are some nice things downtown, and they still have their spring training team (Pirates), which means since Sarasota lost the Reds, more people will go to Bradenton. So, you see, Bradenton does have a lot to offer, it's not all ghettos and gangs.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,718 times
Im currently living in west Bradenton, we are only renting but are NOT happy here. Too much crime and gang problems. Some blocks I would consider living in, but I wouldn't raise my daughter here. However, we are looking to buy out EAST-- near I75. It's a different world out there, very country like and just beautiful--- Look into Lakewood Ranch, University Park, Mote Ranch, Tara and Creekwood areas..Also, further North, look into River Pointe or Mill Creek! These are all East

Old 04-04-2009, 01:01 PM

242 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Default What is wrong with Braddenton?

How is Naples, Florida? and Bonita Beach? The town that is.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:51 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
What's wrong???

Yesterday, THEY tied up seniors on Riverview Blvd., the most affluent section besides "northwest" Bradenton, burglarized the homeowners & kept going.

Story's both in the Bradenton Herald and the Sarasota Herald Tribune.

Gee, it might be the same people as the ones who hit up SRQ earlier in the month.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 AM

183 posts, read 534,018 times
They literally "tied" them up on the road??

Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaptrex View Post
They literally "tied" them up on the road??
Read the article. I believe they were gagged/bound & tied up in the house. The man escaped & dripped blood while trying to reach help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area