Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 25,683 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are both in our 20's and we're planning on moving to Florida in a month. We currently live in Austin, TX and are looking for a nice place to live close to the beach.

So far, we've narrowed our search down to the Clearwater/St. Pete and Sarasota/Bradenton areas. They both seem to have places within the price range we are looking to find.

My question is, how safe is Perico Island? I've been doing a lot of reading about Bradenton on here and people have me convinced that I'll get shot riding my bike in the middle of the day due to the high amount of crime.

I've lived in Honolulu, Phoenix, and Austin and have seen plenty of drug dealers, prostitutes, and murders near my apartments. So how bad would you say Bradenton is compared to any major US city?

Anyone have any recommendations on nice beach area towns that are still close to major cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopmedia View Post
My girlfriend and I are both in our 20's and we're planning on moving to Florida in a month. We currently live in Austin, TX and are looking for a nice place to live close to the beach.

So far, we've narrowed our search down to the Clearwater/St. Pete and Sarasota/Bradenton areas. They both seem to have places within the price range we are looking to find.

My question is, how safe is Perico Island? I've been doing a lot of reading about Bradenton on here and people have me convinced that I'll get shot riding my bike in the middle of the day due to the high amount of crime.

Yes, you can get shot depending on where you ride in Bradenton, even in the middle of the day....however...you would most likely encounter shootings in the worst areas.

I lived on Perico Island for a couple of years back in the 90's. It is basically pretty safe.

I've lived in Honolulu, Phoenix, and Austin and have seen plenty of drug dealers, prostitutes, and murders near my apartments. So how bad would you say Bradenton is compared to any major US city?

I'm from Detroit, have lived in NYC/Brooklyn & Queens; I would say Bradenton's drug crime has tripled in the past nine years...I would rather be on a train at midnight going to Palladium in NYC, by myself, than be out in Bradenton at midnight along U.S. 41 in a car.

Anyone have any recommendations on nice beach area towns that are still close to major cities?
If you choose Bradenton, live either on Perico Island or Anna Maria Island, if you want a beach town.

If you choose Sarasota, you have a bit more options in regards to the beach life. I live in SRQ now, 5 min. to Lido and the same to Siesta Key.

P.S. If you want to read about the type of crime occuring on a daily basis in SRQ/Manatee Counties, you can go to newsmanatee.com.

Last edited by Ladywithafan; 11-02-2009 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 11,613 times
Gee. I live on Perico and drive around day and night, and have never seen drug dealings, shootings, or any other crimes. Not that they don't exist, in Bradenton, but it is hardly detroit. I have taken the census in the worst neighborhoods with no problems. Are you just trying to keep people away? !

Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacynthp View Post
Gee. I live on Perico and drive around day and night, and have never seen drug dealings, shootings, or any other crimes. Not that they don't exist, in Bradenton, but it is hardly detroit. I have taken the census in the worst neighborhoods with no problems. Are you just trying to keep people away? !
Ha ha ha...no it's not detroit; I guess you didn't hear about the dude who shot & killed his girlfriend in the old Bristol Bay complex last year; definitely isolated incident....there is no area w/o crime between Manatee & Sarasota counties. AMI has had it's share of incidents in the last couple of years as well....it's called being aware of your surroundings....

Old 04-08-2012, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 18,802 times
Did you guys move? Where? What do you think? Asking as a fellow Austin-nite!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 8,846 times
Perico island is a wonderful place to live or visit. Nearly crime free, clean and best of all amazing folks. One of the best destinations in Florida !!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,941 times
I am considering moving to Bradenton, I see a few posts re: the bad neighborhoods, which are the areas to avoid?

Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 PM

509 posts, read 907,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUT View Post
I am considering moving to Bradenton, I see a few posts re: the bad neighborhoods, which are the areas to avoid?
I'm not crazy about the area around the Desoto mall, I'll shop there, but wouldn't want to live there. I've lived in many areas, & many states of the union, and I don't find Bradenton to be that bad at all.

I remember when we first moved to Florida, we must have innocent looking faces, because someone living next door to where we were staying in Sarasota immediately advised us on how dangerous/shady it can be here. I was raised in NYC.
I'll manage.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Zoopmedia, we are buying in Port Charlotte after looking in Bradenton, etc. we are 30 minutes from the west coast beaches, 1 mile from the sound and a state park, close enough. Gasperila Island is beautiful, as is Sanibel. I would recommend looking at Venice, lovely beach community just south of Sarasota.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Zoopmedia, we are buying in Port Charlotte after looking in Bradenton, etc. we are 30 minutes from the west coast beaches, 1 mile from the sound and a state park, close enough. Gasperila Island is beautiful, as is Sanibel. I would recommend looking at Venice, lovely beach community just south of Sarasota.
I'm sure Zoopmedia appreciates your response, even if it is five years after his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area