Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:36 PM

19 posts, read 68,096 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas to stay away from? Looking for nice family neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen66 View Post
Are there any areas to stay away from? Looking for nice family neighborhood.
Stay away from the bars! There are lots of lecherous, flirtatious, guys like me that hang out there! You wouldn't want me sneaking up from behind! I might be tempted to offer to buy you a beer! Other than that, {shrug} I don't know.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:13 AM

425 posts, read 1,105,048 times
Default Gretchen

just give a shout out to SoFlaGal she lives here in North Port and is a real estate agent and a native floridian,she is the ultimate authority on
North Port and surrounding area's. good luck in your search and we have a place here in a 55 community and we looooooove it

Old 12-27-2009, 07:15 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Hi There!

The average age in North Port is 38 so you're pretty safe where ever you land. It really depends on the specifics you are looking for. The neighborhoods are described by the major streets they run off of. For example, I live in the Chamberlain Blvd. neighborhood and Chamberlain runs really close to my house. I would say that between Chamberlain Blvd and Sumter Blvd is a more populated area. Many of my friends say they like Cranberry and LaMarque Elementary schools, which are two of the schools districted for this area. My littlest one is in Toledo Blade and they have what's called the SOAR Program, which is an accelerated program. We are pleased with the school. Check here: www.greatschools.com and here: School Accountability Report... for more info on the local schools.

If you were looking for a neighborhood with limited neighbors then you would look east of the interstate or east of Toledo Blade Blvd. You might only have one or two homes on each street in these neighborhoods.

Then of course you have some of the gated communities-Heron Creek, Bobcat Trail, Talon Bay, Lakeside Plantation and Charleston Park. With kids, I would start in Lakeside Plantation or Charleston Park area.

Most of the homes in North Port were built in 2000 or newer with the exception of some homes in the south Biscayne Blvd area.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Last edited by SoFLGal; 12-27-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 AM

418 posts, read 1,090,145 times
Or just go to the NP web site. or the Sun News. Best wishes.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmallie View Post
just give a shout out to SoFlaGal she lives here in North Port and is a real estate agent and a native floridian,she is the ultimate authority on
North Port and surrounding area's. good luck in your search and we have a place here in a 55 community and we looooooove it
Gretchen,

Where are you from? Are you thinking of moving to North Port?
I think that SoFLGal will give you a lot of information about North Port she lives there and has been a long time contributor, and is very very knowledgeable about North Port and the whole SWFL area.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:12 PM

We live in the Buffalo , NY area. We are definately looking for a much warmer climate. We visit FL 3 times a year and stayed in Englewood last year for the first time.We checked out NP and liked what we saw and have heard about it. Originally we thought we wanted to move to Cape Coral but aren't thrilled with what has happened to the area.

My hubby wants to live with some space between his neighbors but I want sidewalks and a suburban feel so we are going to have to find a happy compromise. He thinks he wants to buld but I know we shouldn't!!!! Would like a nice meighborhood for my 2 girls to be able to ride bikes etc.. (ages 6 and 10).

Definatley want a pool and lanai and 3-4 bedrooms, no HOA. Maybe an oversized lot with a greenbelt would suit the hubby??!!

Any detailed info would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Gretchen

Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen66 View Post
We live in the Buffalo , NY area. We are definately looking for a much warmer climate. We visit FL 3 times a year and stayed in Englewood last year for the first time.We checked out NP and liked what we saw and have heard about it. Originally we thought we wanted to move to Cape Coral but aren't thrilled with what has happened to the area.

My hubby wants to live with some space between his neighbors but I want sidewalks and a suburban feel so we are going to have to find a happy compromise. He thinks he wants to buld but I know we shouldn't!!!! Would like a nice meighborhood for my 2 girls to be able to ride bikes etc.. (ages 6 and 10).

Definatley want a pool and lanai and 3-4 bedrooms, no HOA. Maybe an oversized lot with a greenbelt would suit the hubby??!!

Any detailed info would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Gretchen
I'm from WNY originally as well, small town not far from Conesus Lake. Where ever you go, you need to keep a good eye on your kids! I live in a nice quite little town, not much crime (Punta Gorda), but I would still keep an eye on my kids - still do and they are in and out of college already. Based on the description of what you mentioned I think that PGI would be ideal. It is very safe, with a lot to offer, except that it is a more aged community, there are a lot of retired people there. I think that is an advantage having a lot of grandma's and grandpa's around to make sure there is no trouble.

Gretchen, if you go to the MLS Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS you can find most of the stuff you're looking for and see pictures. You can search on a number of things that you feel are important in a home. For more detailed advice you need to speak to an agent, and then I would recommend the agent that has been posting here already.

If you want to learn more about PGI, then check out the thread link here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...st3912848.html. You will learn a lot about it, and hopefully a lot about the other things you need to know, and if you read between the lines, you will see who is a tremendous help here on the board, and who to talk to as well.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Too funny, we are located about 20 miles from Conesus- our kids attend a private school in Geneseo. Small world!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM

26 posts, read 61,837 times
Default weather

We live in upstate NY and had a little snow but heard you guys got pounded. Today the high was 15 and the windchill made it feel like it was
-10 Heading to North Port in 2 weeks cant wait to get out of this cold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area