Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM

172 posts, read 472,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
When I look at Sarasota, I do not see liberal values dominating. Someone is bound to post a disagreement with some obscure example of why I'm wrong but I see a community that prides itself on culture, embraces diversity, loves the environment, has a variety of demographics and that is consistent with values within it's community...
so tell us... why are none of those things able to be conservative attributes? I don't understand. Conservatives are constatly bashed for being intolerant and non-progressive. That the traditional ways need to be changed. Conservatives do come up with progressive ideas but are never called that because even the very word has been hijaked.

I don't see a lifestyle where anything is relative in this part of Florida. You have to head further south for that. You can't even find a market for GLBT establishments anymore, I just read they're all closed...

Sarasota and it's neighbors have a higher standard of living than much of the country and it is reflected in most everything around. Age has nothing to do with it IMO. Religion, Education, and plain old red-blooded American dreams have everything to do with it. But if anyone insists age is the factor in making Sarasota the way it is, then isn't it interesting you get more conservative the older you become? I mean, how did all those people get those nice properties along the keys without working hard to earn it themselves attitude? You don't get that through pursuing interests in welfare, hand-outs, or minimum wage battles....

Oh yeah... how's that Change working for ya?
I feel everything you outlined above are fine Liberal values. I do not disagree with you about the attributes you outlined: freedom of religion, environmental understanding, an honest embracing of diversity, publicly funded education, celebrating the arts, culture, and, in your words, red blooded American dreams. These are the core issue at the heart of what it means to be a Liberal. We are not so different. :-)The issue I had is you told a fellow poster that he will have a hard time in Sarasota because he is liberal. How is this embracing diversity?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:11 PM

475 posts, read 900,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Regardless of why they came to North America, the pilgrims had nothing whatsoever to do with the founding of the United States or its government.
Ummm...The pilgrims were the people who came here and started a new society here . The Indians did not found the U.S or it's government... so who did pray tell?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 PM

475 posts, read 900,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishing the 9411 View Post
I feel everything you outlined above are fine Liberal values. I do not disagree with you about the attributes you outlined: freedom of religion, environmental understanding, an honest embracing of diversity, publicly funded education, celebrating the arts, culture, and, in your words, red blooded American dreams. These are the core issue at the heart of what it means to be a Liberal. We are not so different. :-)The issue I had is you told a fellow poster that he will have a hard time in Sarasota because he is liberal. How is this embracing diversity?
We are in favor of more education choices than public. Conservatives believe children and familys should be able to home or privately school their children as well. Because of the stronghold the ultra liberal teachers union has this will continue to be a point of contention.Dedicated parents pay for public schools and then for alternative education as well .

Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Ummm...The pilgrims were the people who came here and started a new society here . The Indians did not found the U.S or it's government... so who did pray tell?
Lost this whole train; being a jewish native american....

Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishing the 9411 View Post
... We are not so different. :-)The issue I had is you told a fellow poster that he will have a hard time in Sarasota because he is liberal. How is this embracing diversity?
They said, and I quote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska to Florida View Post
I will retire this year and move my liberal, ACLU loving butt down to Florida where I hope to inspire more of the locals to support unions, higher minimum wages, and medicare for all. I'm in favor of high taxes on the rich and fewer Americans going hungry and homeless.
So I'm just wondering, who they think they are coming to the rescue for? I mean, most people in the area would not want of need those things because it's not a union town, about the only minimum wage you'll be seeing is the cheapo restaraunts and medicare for all? We'll let's just say that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I think he's gutzy to think the rich in sarasota would even allow more taxes in their area if they can help it, not to mention, Sarasota is about the toughest on homeless of any community I know in SWFL.
So seriously, in his words, I can't see him fitting in unless he sees potential grassroots takeover here. I don't mind his passion or intention to enjoy Sarasota like the rest of us, just his target area for his purpose is all, doesn't fit. If it were a business plan, it would flop!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:

So I'm just wondering, who they think they are coming to the rescue for? I mean, most people in the area would not want of need those things because it's not a union town, about the only minimum wage you'll be seeing is the cheapo restaraunts and medicare for all? We'll let's just say that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I think he's gutzy to think the rich in sarasota would even allow more taxes in their area if they can help it, not to mention, Sarasota is about the toughest on homeless of any community I know in SWFL.
So seriously, in his words, I can't see him fitting in unless he sees potential grassroots takeover here. I don't mind his passion or intention to enjoy Sarasota like the rest of us, just his target area for his purpose is all, doesn't fit. If it were a business plan, it would flop!

Oh, I see, you feel like you understand the mind of the locals in Sarasota well enough to proclaim Alaska to Florida's concept of the world as flopping here. You say he will have a hard time because he doesn’t think like someone who lives in Sarasota. I am curious, how long have you lived in Sarasota?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:07 AM

49 posts, read 94,436 times
Quote:

No one is trying to rescue anybody, Bucky. I was just making a statement of where I stand. I've lived in Sarah Palin country for the past 25 years and I know how backward and moronic the christian jihadists can be. If my living in Sarasota can make the place a little more progressive then I'll be happy.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM

508 posts, read 1,107,584 times
Quote:
No one is trying to rescue anybody, Bucky. I was just making a statement of where I stand. I've lived in Sarah Palin country for the past 25 years and I know how backward and moronic the christian jihadists can be. If my living in Sarasota can make the place a little more progressive then I'll be happy.
Christian jihadists???

I'm sorry - I need to be done talking with you about this topic now. Good luck with your move. Sarasota is a great place and I hope you fit in.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
I've lived in Sarah Palin country for the past 25 years and I know how backward and moronic the christian jihadists can be.
I'm not a Sarasota resident myself, but I'm sure the city is progressive enough to tolerate extraordinary rhetoric such as this.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Yes, it certainly is. Free thought and speech are welcome. :-)

Also, I apologize if my question seemed rude; that was not my intention. I was just questioning Zarazotebuccaneer's residency as he doesn’t seem understand Sarasota very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area