Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 PM

141 posts, read 505,939 times

Advertisements

We're narrowing our search for towns in FL (it will be somewhere between Tampa and Sarasota) and Sarasota looks good on paper, but we're wondering if it's a good fit for us. We are: mid-30's, two kids, pretty conservative but open-minded. We are very active, love the outdoors, not really into going out much (bars, restaurants, etc). We appreciate family-oriented, laid back, down-to-earth people. We're moving from Washington State.

The only negative we see to Sarasota so far is proximity to a major airport but we're willing to deal with that if everything else is a good fit. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:32 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Wow.

That's a giant move.

Rain to sun huh?

I wouldn't blame you there.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
We're narrowing our search for towns in FL (it will be somewhere between Tampa and Sarasota) and Sarasota looks good on paper, but we're wondering if it's a good fit for us. We are: mid-30's, two kids, pretty conservative but open-minded. We are very active, love the outdoors, not really into going out much (bars, restaurants, etc). We appreciate family-oriented, laid back, down-to-earth people. We're moving from Washington State.

The only negative we see to Sarasota so far is proximity to a major airport but we're willing to deal with that if everything else is a good fit. Thanks for any input.
I think you would like it here in Sarasota...We are the same age as you with 2 kids. Moved here almost 3 years ago from the midwest. Airports have never been an issue for us. SRQ is great & for international, Tampa is a straight shot, 1 hour interstate drive. Ft. Myers airport isn't too much farther. Outdoor activities are limitless. There are so many different lifestyles to choose from here as well. Downtown, Beach, Bay, Golf & a few miles east, you can be in the country with acreage. Even if you don't go out alot (my husband & I were like that too, especially with young kids) you'll find so many really neat things to do here- they kind of pull you in

Tampa overall has a younger demographic but I would say Sarasota is more cultured & sophisticated while still being laid back. The downtown here in Sarasota is wonderful. There are neat things about Tampa, we have good friends that live there but overall, I chose Sarasota to raise my kids.

The only way to know for sure is to come & experience both for yourself.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:48 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:

What's wrong with the Sarasota airport? I think it's pretty nice. And it's only an hour up to Tampa airport if you really want a big one.

This is a great place to live, I think you would like it here.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I agree with everyone else on their points. Sarasota is a wonderful place to live. I was born and raised in SW FL and will never leave here. I'm the same age is you and have 3 kids. The schools system is awesome.

There's always something going on in the downtown area. Southside Village, which is the area west of US 41 and just of Main St and north of Siesta Dr. It's also close to the hospital. Right over the bridge is Siesta Key Beach or if you go over the John Ringling Bridge you have Lido Beach. Southside Elementary School is the districted school for Southside Village. You can look up what people have to say about Southside on these to websites: School Accountability Report... or www.greatschools.com The only problem is that nothing comes up when you search under SouthSide village because it's kind of a locally used term for that area but in the MLS they have that area broken down into a ton of little subdivisions. I'll list some here so you can look through and see what you find. If you have a little one I would suggest visiting The Children's Garden in downtown Sarasota. It's a really cool whimsical place for the little ones that is within walking distance of the downtown area. My five year old loves it there. Also, GWIZ,Mote Marine, Selby Gardens, Jungle Gardens are all within minutes of downtown. Every Saturday they have the downtown Farmers Market. Then there's the Hollywood20 Movie theater and The Burns Court Cinema, which has some really cool foreign films. Burns Court and Towles Court are neat little villages that are great to spend the afternoon catching a bite to eat or doing a little shopping. Selby Libraryis a fantastic library right in the heart of downtown. A great little organic grocery store is Morton's Gourmet Market, Southside Village, Sarasota, Florida. Marina Jack’s is always great for an afternoon out with the kids, a picnic under the trees or a leisurely walk by the bay Welcome to Marina Jack.

Some of the downtown neighborhoods are:
The neighborhoods are:
Hyde Park
Hartland Park
Poinsettia Park
Floyd & Cameron
Riverwood Park
Ridgewood
Granada
Laurel Park
Bayview
McClellan Park
Oyster Bay Estates
Bungalow Hill
Aqualane Estates
Graham Heights
Burns Court
Hartsdale
Cherokee Park
Badger Heights
Paradise Shores
San Remo Estates
Harbor Acres
Avondale
Mandarin Park
Morton Terrace

Most of the above are known as a whole as the Southside Village neighborhood. I listed a few that are on the fringe of that area. Here's some more info on the downtown area:

Home
Sarasota Florida Downtown | Shops Downtown, Sarasota Hotel | Downtown Restaurant | Sarasota Rental
Downtown Merchants Association of Sarasota

Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM

25 posts, read 74,667 times
PixiStix, is there any neighborhoods in Sarasota that are seedy? Can you name them so I pass them over in the MLS book? If I wanted to live in Sarasota but wanted a lot that is a little bigger than usual where should I look? I don't need to worry about school for my kids. I am in my 40's and they are in college. That doesn't have to be a factor for me so safety would be a concern but not schools. Thanks, deedee3003

Old 02-26-2010, 05:12 PM

25 posts, read 74,667 times
Sorry I didn't see SoFlGal's post of the nice neighborhoods. You are full of information Gal. Thank You.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee3003 View Post
Sorry I didn't see SoFlGal's post of the nice neighborhoods. You are full of information Gal. Thank You.
Thanks! You might also like the Palmer Ranch area as well. I wrote a blog about that area on this website under my name.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
For what it's worth, I think the airport situation is actually great:

Sarasota Airport is far and away the EASIEST airport I have ever used. Flying in and out will cost you nominally more, but is SO worth it for the time you'll save and the general efficiency you will encounter.

If you need an international airport, Tampa is an hour (if you drive like a lil ole lady).

People don't move out of Manhattan because it takes 90 mins to get to Newark, LaGuardia, or JFK, do they?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:

Stay in Washington!

Im in a Sarasota outer town and I plan to go for the gusto with Seattle so Im someone who wants to leave the area for Washington lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area