Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM

31 posts, read 62,848 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Sarasota in July. We have 2 dogs. One is a Basset and the other is a Aust. Shep. Is it safe to have them outside down there or should I try to find them a home before our move? Thanks is advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM

204 posts, read 601,644 times
They are going to need an air conditioned living space, no doubt about it. And a fence would be a good idea as well, there is too much wildlife here that can harm them.

Good luck

HHH

Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM

21 posts, read 50,163 times
While it's not advised by many for any dog to live solely outside, depending on their breeds and how well they handle heat, you could do it. I have chows which are very sensitive to heat and getting heat stroke so mine can't even be outside for a short walk during the hottest times of day. They also tire easily so we have to walk them early morning and late evening so they don't get heat stroke. I don't know much about your breeds but I would look it up if I were you. I've seen numerous dogs that are outside only dogs and while I wouldn't do it with my dogs, I realize that some dogs actually do like it and don't like being in the house so I'm not judging your decision. Others might though so I'm just making you aware of that.

If you were to bring them and have them live outside only, you would definitely need shade for them. Whether it be a roofed patio or lanai or large tree or whatever. Shade is vital to them. Even more importantly, they will need water 24/7, especially during the very humid summer months. If you choose to use large 5 gallon buckets for water, ensure that you dump it every day and add fresh water at least daily. Make sure they're never empty. FYI if you don't change the water out with fresh water at least daily, algae will grow in it and the dogs either won't drink it and dehydrate or may get sick from the algae.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM

338 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggerriggs View Post
My family and I are moving to Sarasota in July. We have 2 dogs. One is a Basset and the other is a Aust. Shep. Is it safe to have them outside down there or should I try to find them a home before our move? Thanks is advance!
My opinion is that it is cruel to leave dogs outside all the time in Florida or anywhere else. They are pack animals that need the social interaction of their "pack" which is their human family. Temps here reach into the high 90's for months on end and without proper shelter and adequate water a dog will suffer. In the winter temps go down below freezing and again no animal should be subject to that.Not to mention dogs left out all the time tend to become a neighborhood nuisance by barking out of bordom. Both the breeds you mention need more human companionship than being left to their own devices all the time. Please rehome them if you can't properly see to their needs.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 AM

275 posts, read 715,230 times
Okay, I know you're serious about the fence, but is the air conditioner comment tongue in cheek?

I kept dogs (Samoyed, Spitz & some kind of Sharpei/boxer/dane mix) outdoors in southern Louisiana and they were fine. A shaded area in their kennels, and plenty of fresh water should be mandatory requirements. Besides regular visits in the house, I only kept them inside when it would get particularly cold at night.

I don't think I would take an older, northern dog and put it out in the height of a Florida summer before it became acclimated though. Best to allow it time to adjust, or it may expire.

I will say that being married to Sue in Ohio would surely change that routine; she thinks the pets should share our bed (and our two cats apparently think that way too).

I plan on getting another dog (or two) once we get settled down there; Sue likes small breeds and I like larger ones. I fully expected she'll have them eating breakfast with us at the table...

Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM

31 posts, read 62,848 times
Thank you for all the info. We live in Tn. so the weather is not too bad. We keep them in the house when it gets too cold, but when we move we are going to be renting. I don't want them to mess up any one else's home. Well, this gives us something to think about!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM

175 posts, read 438,117 times
I don't know about your Basset Hound but your Australian Sheppard will have a problem with the heat. We have a sheltie and she can barely stay out for an hour in the mid summer without heat stroke. Their coats insulate them from the elements but seem to keep the heat in and the temps in mid summer easily 94-96 with very intense heat and humidity.
Good Luck

Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,088 times
I would have to say no, it is not a good idea to leave dogs out during the day here. Even with shelter of a tree and water, it is very very easy for dogs to get over heated here.

Here's a snippet about your Australian Shepard from Animal Planet Dog Breed Selector, "Even though it is physically able to live outside in temperate climates, it is a breed for which human contact is so vital that it is emotionally unsuited for a life in the yard." Summer in Sarasota is not temperate, but an extreme climate with humidity and heat.

It is most likely best for your dogs to find a home in Tennessee that will not keep them in the yard all day. Please do not dump your dogs at a kill shelter, but rather a shelter that has a no kill policy.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:32 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I don't have dogs, but my neighborhood is a real "doggie neighborhood", with the majority of people owning dogs. I have not seen ANY that live outside, most live inside and people walk them on leashes around here, or periodically let them out to play in a fenced back yard in the mornings or evenings.

To the OP - why wouldn't you keep yours inside? You definitely shouldn't let them be outside all day here. They would need some protection like a nice doghouse and lots of shade, and winters can get cold here, too.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Having a dog live outside in Florida is a recipe for disaster. The extreme Florida heat would cause heat stroke and death in any dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area