Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 PM

60 posts, read 140,484 times

Advertisements

Has anyone got kitchen cabinets from either places and what are your thoughts. Would they look good in a high end home?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Ok how bout Lowes?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:22 AM

475 posts, read 901,081 times
The installation is important to consider. I have worked around building inspectors in Mi for years and they are regularly critical of installers from big box stores. Of course you could buy them yourself from Lowes and then hire a trusted carpenter to install them.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM

59 posts, read 144,999 times
Sorry for prolonged absence, this one's up my alley but we were out of the country for the last couple weeks. I was a kitchen designer for Depot for a few years. What I've basically garnered is that the semi-custom cabinets they offer will give you more consistent results, more options, and most importantly, more consistent post-purchase support. I can't even begin to tell you how much each store eats on a yearly basis in losses from customers changing their mind after the (custom!) cabinets are ordered, shipped and arrive. You have much more flexibility, and it will be a more WYSIWYG process, instead of unexpected variances.

If you're not a certified kitchen designer, real estate professional (go ahead, SoFlGal...) or watch HGTV 24/7, you will be unable to tell the difference from mid-upper range HD/Lowes and full custom cabinets, but your price difference will be tens of thousands of dollars. The key is finding a competent designer that is on the same page as you and most importantly pays great attention to detail. The most horrible cabinets can look amazing with the right molding and accessories. In my time, I've put similar cabinets in a $100k home and a $2.5m home, and both clients were overwhelmingly impressed. I'm going to attach a couple pics here of one of my more difficult projects (and more importantly, one that let me post pictures of it! I never do w/o consent, especially since I'm not 100% in the field anymore.) Most important with any big box, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to find someone who is a CKD (cert kitchen designer.) They'd be certified by the NKBA and will likely have it on their business cards as it's the only thing HD allows their employees to put after their names.

I would NOT use HD's or Lowes' installers, it's almost universally a nightmare. And while not as much an issue in FL, be wary of installers in the winter months. Typically the pickup with "Joe's Landscaping" magnet sign on the side in June says "Joe's Kitchen Installations" in February...

In any event, attached three pictures here. The ceilings were a job on this one, as in the first pic you can see the two different heights. I had wanted to put a ring of crown on the inside of the soffit against the ceiling to make a tray ceiling effect, but the budget didn't allow. C'est la vie... The cabinets are Thomasville, door style is Villa Maple, Toasted Almond glaze. Appliances are GE Profile, granite is Giallo Veneziano. Note that the knobs are the same granite as the tops, one of the few times I was actually able to pull that off. Total materials cost on this kitchen was in the ballpark of $17k as I recall, appliances and counters incl. The floors I honestly don't remember, and they did that floor through the first floor of the house. Personally prefer Thomasville to the other brands carried, look for Diamond or Omega in Lowes...they're all the same manufacturer.

While I don't maintain my CKD anymore, would be happy to take a look at a floor plan for you and give a few ideas. Send me an msg
Attached Thumbnails
Home depot or manasota flooring cabinets???-2009projba1.jpg   Home depot or manasota flooring cabinets???-2009projba3.jpg   Home depot or manasota flooring cabinets???-2009projba4.jpg  

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 PM

Scy,
thanks for the input, can I get your email and I'll send you over our kitchen design that I think we're gonna go with

Old 04-10-2010, 12:20 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,154,792 times
interesting subject, one thing we notice coming from the UK is kitchens in the US are not generally as good a quality as the ones here. i even toyed with the idea of tying to import them however the cost i think would be prohibitive. I am talking custom made, not off the shelf.

for example we are just about to start building a home worth $4.5m and the kitchen will be close to $200k (trade not retail price )

on more 'average'homes of around $750-$1m (yes a standard 4 bedroom 2000 sq ft home can cost that easily here) we generally fit kitchens with a trade value of $20-30k

Old 05-27-2010, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,834 times
I am looking for HOME DEPOT customers who payed for either flooring or roofing installation. The reason being that Home Depot overcharges installation for all of their flooring and roofing customers across the country. If you or anyone you know is a victim of this fraud, please contact me at [email]ttomk40@gmail.com[/email], rkallp.com, or 213 473 1900 ext.4249. I work for the class action law firm Ringler Kearney Alvarez LLP.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,301 times
Default kitchen cabinets

Has anyone recently purchased kitchen cabinets? Anyone have an experience with Manasota Flooring for cabinets? Thank you.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM

23 posts, read 56,193 times
Did you find answers to your questions, relative to cabinets? If not drop me a note and I will offer my experience, advise and opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area