Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM

30 posts, read 78,674 times

Advertisements

Hey Nycac - we just sold our house in Michigan and will be moving to Sarasota/Tampa area probably in the Fall (we will hang around MI for the nice summer). I'm 47, with a wife, two kids in middle school and a couple of dogs, two lizards and a fish. I have a great job in MI as a graphic designer for a tier 1 automotive supplier and hopefully they will allow me to work remotely - if not, I'll be taking your order or smiling as I push a shopping cart into your waiting hands - why? we're done with the winters and we don't want to be sitting in our rocking chairs saying "I wish I would have..." I'm originally from Michigan but lived in Kissimmee for three years during the 80's, Altamonte Springs during the 90's for two years and this time we intend to make it stick. I've been hanging around this message board for a year or so (maybe more) and what I've learned is this: the people who love Florida and live in it still love it, the people who hate it and can't wait to get out still hate it (didn't have message boards in the 80's but but not much has changed in the love/hate department). Florida has bugs and humidity - there the awful truth is out and now no one reading this can move there and claim "I didn't think it would be this hot" or "eww, there's bugs!" - it's just the way it is if you want to sit on your deck in February and not freeze your arse off you're going to have to put up with some bugs. No more leaving your frosted flakes on the counter over night - but then you shouldn't be doing that anyway. My two biggest concerns were school systems and registered sex offenders - I've since learned (after talking to a lot of people, including an honors geometry teacher that works in the Tampa system) that as far as schools go... do some homework, pick a good school, and be involved - not exactly brain surgery. Regarding registered sex offenders, interestingly enough that very same honors geometry teacher was married to a woman who works for the Tampa P.D. tracking sex offenders - she enlightened me to the fact that FL is relentless in their tracking and registering of offenders (second only to Michigan in number registered per capita according to some sources) - some states have really low numbers and a bit of that can be attributed to poor registration/tracking as I understand. SO, having said all that - IMHO Florida is great for the people who love it, and terrible for those who don't - amazing, right? In the end, I would say "go for it" you can try it for two years, if you hate it, try some where else, just don't be one of the cowards that whine and complain and find excuses for not moving away when FL is suposedly soooo awful - you have to find out for yourself. Be fearless and have faith. -Glurk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 05:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Glurk,
Tried to give you a rep point and it would let me. Good Post!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:21 PM

30 posts, read 78,674 times
Thanks BH! We're looking forward to getting down there - it's a bit chaotic up here right now, but it will all work out.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 PM

13 posts, read 37,133 times
I made the move to Bradenton Fl. 9 years ago. I had gone on a vacation in (Jan.) and moved in Aug the following year. My suggestion is to visit Fl. in the hottest months of the year to see if you can stand the heat and humity (I can't) and plan to move to a less humid state and I also miss the seasons even the snow...

Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areone View Post
I made the move to Bradenton Fl. 9 years ago. I had gone on a vacation in (Jan.) and moved in Aug the following year. My suggestion is to visit Fl. in the hottest months of the year to see if you can stand the heat and humity (I can't) and plan to move to a less humid state and I also miss the seasons even the snow...

I love the heat, and Florida's palm trees, plants, fauna, nature, beaches, (I'd say more, but I would probably be slapped once I start complimenting the ladies! ). There are trade off's everywhere you go, and to each thier own. I would recommend that you take a couple trips out to Colorado. I went to college there and loved the mountains, and the snow, skiing and winter sports and festivals. The summers are nice, can get hot too, but the weather for the most part is tempered by very dry air, and conditions so the impact of chill and heat is lessened by that. The trade off is that everything is very brown. It will take a while for that to creep in on ya though, but when you travel, that is when you will notice it.

Having lived in the North and out there, I find I really like it here best. I do travel some. Instead of heading south in the winter, I travel around in the summer. I will be going to NY, RI, and a few other places this summer so I can see how other states serve my favorite beer.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 AM

166 posts, read 370,220 times
We moved here over 4 years ago, we've experienced it all, the bad housing market, unemployment, health issues... but we've never been happier! Moving to Florida was the best decision we've ever made. It is like a vacation... even if you just get to walk the beach after a long day at work and see a sunset... it makes you feel better! The weekends are like mini vacations... spend the day at the beach or hike Myakka State park... it never gets old for us! I'd never advise someone to come without a plan though. Just make sure you do your research before making any move across country!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times
We are going for it, and on very short notice lol For us it was between Reno, NV and Sarasota and we picked FL. Hope it works out!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriC View Post
We moved here over 4 years ago, we've experienced it all, the bad housing market, unemployment, health issues... but we've never been happier! Moving to Florida was the best decision we've ever made. It is like a vacation... even if you just get to walk the beach after a long day at work and see a sunset... it makes you feel better! The weekends are like mini vacations... spend the day at the beach or hike Myakka State park... it never gets old for us! I'd never advise someone to come without a plan though. Just make sure you do your research before making any move across country!

Really!! How could you have been here this long, be so happy, and we've never met!?? I couldn't agree more with your accessment!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
We are going for it, and on very short notice lol For us it was between Reno, NV and Sarasota and we picked FL. Hope it works out!
You're going to love it.
I went to Anna Marie Island for an over night stay. We stayed at the Tortuga, and walked up the beach to the Beach House Restaurant for dinner.

While we were there, we watched the sunset. A really good musician was playing, and a guy at the table in front of us made a request. And the musician, announced that the young man wanted to spend the rest of his life with the young girl he was with. When he returned to the table he proposed to her, and she accepted. They immediately started calling everyone and taking pictures of the ring and emailing it to thier friends.
I was touched by it all, and so I bought them a bottle of Champagne to celebrate! They were soooo happy!

Anna Marie Island is really beautiful little town. The beaches and water are amazing! The shops are unique, and fun. I had a wonderful time. I am not surprised Ladywithafan decided to move there.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 PM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I lived in Flordia for a summer, right out of high school, on my own. I went back to school the following year, and continued my education. After a decent career, I decided to return here, and bought a house in the fall of 2008. - LOVE IT. And, don't be afraid of the work, or lack there of, it will be hard - but you can find work. It's hard but not impossible.

Good Luck.
I too moved to FL right out of high school. No job,no car ,no place to stay.I hated Feb in MI that much! It's taken 38 years but I'm moving back in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area