Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyMJ View Post
Thank you! So many people have warned us about the "deep south" being anti-gay but we visited there and felt very comfortable. I wonder how many people have actually been there who have that opinion.
For a city the size of Savannah, it's very cosmopolitan and diverse.

I don't think I could say the same for a lot of similar sized towns throughout the south. I will say that the region as a whole has come a long way though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 66,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
People are stupid ... especially when it comes to anything to do with the South.

To paraphrase a quote from another thread: It is easier to be gay among conservative Southerners than it is to be a conservative Southerner among gays.

I love this!! Thank you. We're getting excited for the move. We'll be there in two weeks.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 16,695 times
Default Boston to GA

I'm student who is about to graduate in May and have been trying to decide if I should stay in Boston following graduation or perhaps move to either Atlanta or Savannah. I was hoping to get some insight on the Savannah area and what it may mean to relocate there. I used to live in Upstate South Carolina so I feel comfortable with making the move south but I never made it to the Savannah area.

My major concern is not knowing the job market there very well. I've applied to a program through SCAD but it's been difficult to figure out what other companies or institutions have job opportunities. I know that salaries tend to be lower down south but I'm worried about finding a well paying entry level professional job. Any advice on businesses or companies to research would be greatly appreciated.

I've also heard that Savannah can be a bit expensive but I don't know if I'm looking at the right neighborhoods. I'll be 22 when I graduate and I know that I will want to live in a downtown area near shops, cafes, and bars, and love the idea of possibly living in a historic home. I'm hoping that this is an attainable goal with a salaried job. Also, is it essential to have a car if you're living downtown? I'm currently used to walking and taking the train about town but don't know what public transportation in the area might be like.

Mostly I'm trying to figure out the cost of living for a recent grad and what some of the pros and cons may be of moving from a larger city.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 20,885 times
Default Moving to Savannah

Hello,

We are a professional family moving to Savannah in the near future. We are moving from Texas. We have read the stickies on Savannah and have some questions. We are looking for the best part of town to relocate.

1. Budget- $1000-1600
2. House/Condo/Townhome- House (prefer at least 4 bedrooms)
3. Employment Status- employed. Prefer short commute. Wife is looking for a pediatric RN position at Memorial. Your assistance is appreciated.
4. Children- Yes. Prefer an area with good schools.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- Suburban, but could tolerate a mix. I will be working downtown.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not- would be nice, but not essential. We have cars.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- young professionals (30-40 yr old working professionals)
8. Renting or buying- Renting until we learn the area, eventually, we would like to purchase using the GI Bill.

Thank you in advance for valuable information.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Well it has been another year. Still no bugs in Pooler?
Nope.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 16,560 times
Hi there,
My husband has a chance to relocate to GA from NY (upstate not the city). This would be a HUGE change for us. I've never lived anywhere else and I'm very nervous about leaving here. Most of my reservations are about my kids though, they are 2 & 4. The schools here are great, and there is little to no crime in my area now. We live in a quiet family friendly, and hope to find the same there. When we first come down we will be looking for apartments. I have been trying to research, but I am LOST! Thank you for any help you give.

1. Budget- up to $900/mo
2. House/Condo/Townhome?- Any. Renting at first, until we find the right area
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)- Husband will be working out of Savannah, but traveling to Augusta
4. Children(public school vs. private)- 2 young kids. I would prefer the best of the two
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- Never have been much of a city girl. I would eventually like a house with a big back yard.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.- Family friendly
8. Renting or buying?- Renting

Old 12-25-2013, 02:12 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
I deleted an earlier post that I could have simply modified because the crux of it was that your housing budget is too low.

It's not that you can't find a decent small house in a safe neighborhood with good schools, but it will take a discerning eye and fairly good knowledge of our area. I'm going to recommend that you rent an apartment in a newish complex either on the islands, in Georgetown, or Pooler simply because it will be the easiest thing to do. Once you're settled, you can get to know other parts of greater Savannah. Make some friends, compare notes, and figure the rest out as you go.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:37 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimerson View Post
Hi there,
My husband has a chance to relocate to GA from NY (upstate not the city). This would be a HUGE change for us. I've never lived anywhere else and I'm very nervous about leaving here. Most of my reservations are about my kids though, they are 2 & 4. The schools here are great, and there is little to no crime in my area now. We live in a quiet family friendly, and hope to find the same there. When we first come down we will be looking for apartments. I have been trying to research, but I am LOST! Thank you for any help you give.

1. Budget- up to $900/mo
2. House/Condo/Townhome?- Any. Renting at first, until we find the right area
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)- Husband will be working out of Savannah, but traveling to Augusta
4. Children(public school vs. private)- 2 young kids. I would prefer the best of the two
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- Never have been much of a city girl. I would eventually like a house with a big back yard.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.- Family friendly
8. Renting or buying?- Renting
Being nervous is part of the emotional roller coaster you're about to experience. I would say, embrace this time in your life. Look for the positives and be thankful that you're able to experience a new chapter. Scary as it now seems, this too shall pass, and you will one day look back and laugh at how nervous you were.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 15,782 times
Default Retiring Army looking to relocate to Savannah

Hey y'all...I am in need of some advise! My husband will be retiring from the Army within the year when he returns from his final deployment and we are looking into relocating to the Savannah area and I am so confused on where we should be looking! We have 3 children a 14, 11, and 4 yr old. Our 4 yr old is Autistic so I also need advise on services in the area if anyone can help with that kind of information.
1. Budget- $1500.00
2. House/Condo/Townhome?- House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)-Husband will be working at the Port of Savannah. I am a certified dental assistant but have worked in the oral surgery field my whole career, any information about GA dental laws would be helpful
4. Children(public school vs. private)- both, but we have a 4 yr old son with Autism so if anyone has information on schools with special needs programs that would be great/autism therapy
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- suburban, after living on military bases we would love to live in the country or a great neighborhood with homes with large yards
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not important to us
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.- We would like to be outside of the city of Savannah
8. Renting or buying?- rent to start then buy unless we come across the perfect home with the right price

Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
TBolen the Rincon area in Effingham Co. to Port Wentworth area in north Chatham Co. might be what you seek. Or even just across the state line in SC near I-95. Moderately cheap houses with big lots and near the port. Quite the country feel in parts, with lots of subdivisions on the fringes and in spots too if you want that style. My advise, check Zillow & Trulia and do a lot of recon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area