Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 18,040 times

Advertisements

I have visited Savannah at least 4 times over the last couple of years. I fell in love with that city. But over the last year I have been researching the job market there and I don't see a great variety of technology jobs. I have been in this field for about 5 years now. I'm accustomed to working in an office Mon-Fri and being paid from 40-45K a year. I have been looking for this same in Savannah, but I can't seem to find anything. I have posted my resume on various sites with no luck. So this has persuaded me to continue living where I at for now. Will you all let me know if you have any job leads? I can also do customer service, admin, and office work.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 22,004 times
I'm a guy in my mid-twenties and just got a job down in Savannah from Charlotte. I'm wondering what would be an ideal fun location to move for a young professional in the area. I like being in walking distance to the big hubs and in pedestrian friendly spot so around downtown would be my preference. I'm just wondering which specific neighborhoods or streets are good around SCAD along with possible apartment/condo plexes. I'd prefer a safe spot and a place where I can rent for under 900 if its a 1bd apartment.

Any help much appreciated.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Definitely downtown. If it looks safe it's probably ok. No guarantees. Explore around with a list of places and compare. Nothing beats doing your own recon.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 19,019 times
We have lived in Savannah for three years now. Following are our observations:

1. There is a lot of hostility against white (Caucasian) people here. It's pretty evident and it's everywhere. You can't even get waited on at Burger King.

2. Rent is outrageous. Because of the colleges and the military paying for housing, folks can charge whatever they want. Yes we did find a place for $850 a month, but it was someone's basement. Any house in that price range is just slum lord material. My neighbor lives in a shed, yes a shed, 12 x 16' and he pays $500 a month for the privilege.

3. Gas and Groceries are not cheap! Gas is nearly $4 a gallon and you can't buy decent groceries for $100 a week.

4. Traffic sucks and most of downtown floods anytime it rains, closing off main roads.

5. I love the heat, but the gnats are unbearable.

6. Tybee is the only beach and it's just a tiny island. Watch 'em there, their main form of income for the island is the $2 million plus they take in a year for parking fines. Over 20,000 people show up on the weekends and they only have about 2000 parking spaces. Everyone else gets a ticket.

7. On the up side: Savannah is a beautiful, historic town to visit. The riverfront is pretty, with shops, restaurants and bars. Tybee is great for a day or two. Savannah is very historic and has quite a lot of unusual people living there.

8. Savannah has a large gay population. Some people may be looking for that and others may not be. It didn't bother us.

9. One of the colleges is SCAD, Savannah College of Art and Design. So there are a lot of "non-traditional" kids running around. Again, you may be looking for that in your city or may not. We like people watching, so it was interesting.

10. There really is no culture in Savannah. No real plays, symphonies, anything...

11. And the job market sucks. There are jobs here, but the wages are terribly low. Barely enough to cover the overpriced rent, even with two people working...

PS. We originally wanted to retire here and have since changed our minds.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Default Updating the "sticky" on relocation to Savannah

Seems to me that sticky has grown some whiskers. Additionally, I don't feel one person's negative opinion should be part of a "sticky".Sticky information should be sub stantiated and verified.
I DO NOT have the qualifications to write some of changes that should be done ie: smoking....but I know of a LOT of smart ppl on board that could do it

Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TybeeBri View Post

1. There is a lot of hostility against white (Caucasian) people here. It's pretty evident and it's everywhere. You can't even get waited on at Burger King.

2. Rent is outrageous. Because of the colleges and the military paying for housing, folks can charge whatever they want. Yes we did find a place for $850 a month, but it was someone's basement. Any house in that price range is just slum lord material. My neighbor lives in a shed, yes a shed, 12 x 16' and he pays $500 a month for the privilege.

3. Gas and Groceries are not cheap! Gas is nearly $4 a gallon and you can't buy decent groceries for $100 a week.

4. Traffic sucks and most of downtown floods anytime it rains, closing off main roads.

6. Tybee is the only beach and it's just a tiny island. Watch 'em there, their main form of income for the island is the $2 million plus they take in a year for parking fines. Over 20,000 people show up on the weekends and they only have about 2000 parking spaces. Everyone else gets a ticket.

7. On the up side: Savannah is a beautiful, historic town to visit. The riverfront is pretty, with shops, restaurants and bars. Tybee is great for a day or two. Savannah is very historic and has quite a lot of unusual people living there.

8. Savannah has a large gay population. Some people may be looking for that and others may not be. It didn't bother us.

9. One of the colleges is SCAD, Savannah College of Art and Design. So there are a lot of "non-traditional" kids running around. Again, you may be looking for that in your city or may not. We like people watching, so it was interesting.

10. There really is no culture in Savannah. No real plays, symphonies, anything...

11. And the job market sucks. There are jobs here, but the wages are terribly low. Barely enough to cover the overpriced rent, even with two people working...

Agreeing with what Pink Caddy said, a lot of this is just opinion and not backed up with facts. This kind of posting shouldn't be tolerated in a forum where people are trying to find factual information.
I had to LOL at #4. Don't you know downtown is the highest elevation in the entire county? It doesn't flood. Outlying areas near downtown do.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 31,874 times
Default Up to date relocation info?

I am relocating and looking in the areas of 31410, 31406, and possibly 31419. Ideally would like to be on Wilmington but $$ of rental homes are high. Some of the rental homes seem to have been empty and havent been occupied for some time, and only one photo available to see online. That concerns me.
I will be traveling to the area to see some homes, any comments or ideas of the areas I have chosen?

Last edited by Island bound; 03-28-2013 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: saw updated posts as soon as I posted

Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TybeeBri View Post

I don't read this as it was intended to be negative about the area at all and found it very helpful.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 33,621 times
Hello,
Not sure how active this thread is, but I thought I would give it a try. I am a "middle aged" SWF relocating to Savannah in the next couple of month. I am hoping to rent in a walkable neighborhood in the city (not the islands or suburbs). I have two primary concerns: safety (because I am a woman living alone) and student/ noise level (I don't mind students, but it seems that the market is dominated by student rentals. I'm fine with an interesting, hip environment, I just don't want to be surrounded be 20 year olds who live on a very different schedule than a professional.) Please see my answers to the questions below.

1. Budget- $900-$1500
2. House/Condo/Townhome- doesn't matter- apartment, townhouse, whatever. Doesn't have to be big. 1 or 2 bedrooms, or 1 bedroom plus
3. Employment Status- employed will be commuting to Armstrong University. Don't mind a 20-30 minute drive
4. Children- nope. No kids. Don't care about schools, etc.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- Urban, but could tolerate a mix. No Suburbs.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not- would be nice, but not essential. I have a car.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- young professionals (30-40 yr old working professionals)
8. Renting or buying- Renting

Any advice about specific areas to consider would be very much appreciated. Any advice about where I should definitely avoid would also be great.
Thanks very much for your help.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abra642 View Post
Hello,
Not sure how active this thread is, but I thought I would give it a try. I am a "middle aged" SWF relocating to Savannah in the next couple of month. I am hoping to rent in a walkable neighborhood in the city (not the islands or suburbs). I have two primary concerns: safety (because I am a woman living alone) and student/ noise level (I don't mind students, but it seems that the market is dominated by student rentals. I'm fine with an interesting, hip environment, I just don't want to be surrounded be 20 year olds who live on a very different schedule than a professional.) Please see my answers to the questions below.

1. Budget- $900-$1500
2. House/Condo/Townhome- doesn't matter- apartment, townhouse, whatever. Doesn't have to be big. 1 or 2 bedrooms, or 1 bedroom plus
3. Employment Status- employed will be commuting to Armstrong University. Don't mind a 20-30 minute drive
4. Children- nope. No kids. Don't care about schools, etc.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- Urban, but could tolerate a mix. No Suburbs.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not- would be nice, but not essential. I have a car.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- young professionals (30-40 yr old working professionals)
8. Renting or buying- Renting

Any advice about specific areas to consider would be very much appreciated. Any advice about where I should definitely avoid would also be great.
Thanks very much for your help.

You can find a decent small apartment in the historic district for that. It has everything on your list. You'll probably enjoy living there.

There's a good mix of people there. Find a place where the owners live on the premises or something that is not divided into many apartments. Less chance of noisy neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area