Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 20,307 times

Advertisements

short notice.....but all I can do is ask LOL...
This is going to be happening soon as in real soon (next mo lol) just looking for input for my GF.... Semi familar with the area, but been out of state for last few years for work...
I know 1100 isn't really going to cut it for the nicer parts of downtown for a 2bd... also should note I've been using craigslist, realtor, google to locate places... Looking mostly for a heads up about the good areas and of course the ones to avoid be it crime/crappy quality of life/etc.

1. Budget $1100 (or less)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Don't care (2bd+)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Working downtonw
4. Children(public school vs. private) None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two (Mix, slightly more urban)
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? No
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. (safer side for single female)
8. Renting or buying? Looking to rent now, buy maybe in aprox 1 yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I suggest you get with a realtor that specializes in downtown, and has a big rentals component. Two that come to mind are Judge Realty and Cora Bett Thomas. Check out their websites and see if there are any listings that fit.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 31,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter2 View Post
Hi, Are either of these close to SCAD? I read on another blog that the Real Estate agents take advantage of SCAD students. My daughter has lived there for 3 years and is in her last year there. She needs a place for another year and is moving out of her current residence. She is 26 and very responsible. No drugs, no parties. She goes to school and works downtown on Bay st. so it would be great if it was within a short bike/walk distance as parking is hard to do in that area and the restaurant she works in gets out very late. We do live out of state, but that doesn't mean we're rolling in dough. We have two other kids in school and are spread pretty thin. We help her out as we can. She does have a small dog, but is willing to part with her if need be. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. She just called ans said she's considering rooming with a much older gentleman whom she doesn't know because the rent's good. Yikes!

I disagree that Real Estate agents take advantage of SCAD students. The rental market in the historic district, is tight regardless of who is wanting to rent. It is pure economics, supply and demand helps set the rental rates. Also, if working through a property management company, their fiduciary relationship is to the owner. That being said, regardless the age or status of the lessee, a credit check will be run, they will check with past landlords as to what kind of tenants they were, and a deposit will be required. Keep in mind, this is someone else's investment they are protecting. If they were representing a condo you owned, you would want the same consideration. They are making sure the rent will be paid on time, so you can pay your mortgage, taxes, insurance and condo fees, and that the tenants are respectful of your property.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 31,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogDude View Post
Moving from DC to Savannah in about a month and really enjoy reading everybody's postings. Very helpful.

Question - hospitals. See that there are 3 in the immediate area. Pros/Cons? Any info appreciated.

Thx.
St. Josephs / Candler has 2 locations. One is south-side down Abercorn Street the other is mid-town with-in a few blocks of Memorial Medical University. That being said, location would be one factor. If you live in Richmond Hill or South-side, then St. Josephs / Candler location on Abercorn would be more convenient. Also, and MOST CRITICAL, what hospital is IN-NETWORK with your medical insurance coverage!!! Other than that, if you ask 100 people, you will get 100 different reasons why one is better or worse than the other. They are about equal.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 15,597 times
Hey everyone, I just joined to help aid my research into the Savannah area. I am looking at moving down there soon. I am from northern Virginia. I am a nurse.

1. Budget- no more that $900ish
2. House/Condo/Townhome- not picky on this aspect, I would prefer just one bedroom, but nothing more than 2
3. Employment Status- I don't have a job yet, but I am researching nursing jobs in the area
4. Children- I don't have children, so this is not a priority right now
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- either, but I would prefer suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not- would be nice, but I own my own vehicle
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- young professionals (mid 20s-30s), young families
8. Renting or buying- renting

Does anyone have suggestions about decent and safe places to live? Any recommended realtors to assist with finding rentals within my budget? Thanks for any and all help!

Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 15,604 times
Default Server Positions in Savannah

Thanks for the thread, I have found a lot of the information on here useful.

I am considering moving to Savannah in a few months and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight about working in the restaurant industry in Savannah. I have 10+ years experience waiting tables, a good chunk of it in fine dining. I was wondering about fine dining restaurants in the area. Are there a good number of them? Is business consistent? Do people like to "dine" in Savannah? What are the average nightly tips like? Any information would be helpful.

Also, just FYI, I am aware of the very low server wage having spent 5 years in NC.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueanddog View Post
Thanks for the thread, I have found a lot of the information on here useful.

I am considering moving to Savannah in a few months and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight about working in the restaurant industry in Savannah. I have 10+ years experience waiting tables, a good chunk of it in fine dining. I was wondering about fine dining restaurants in the area. Are there a good number of them? Is business consistent? Do people like to "dine" in Savannah? What are the average nightly tips like? Any information would be helpful.

Also, just FYI, I am aware of the very low server wage having spent 5 years in NC.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Having worked in the hospitality industry in Savannah for quite a few years, I can tell you that the slow seasons have become much shorter than in years past. This summer, for example, it really didn't slow down at all. In the past few years, typical slow times are in the dead of summer (when SCAD students are gone and it is at its hottest) and January & February.

Someone else will have to fill you in on the rest...

Old 10-17-2014, 09:01 AM

23 posts, read 45,105 times
Default Considering relocation

My family and I are considering a move south. We are a young family with 3 kids 10,8,4. Currently we love our neighborhood and are in an award winning school district in Iowa. We are just looking for a change and want to live where it is warm and near the ocean. It's very important we choose somewhere with excellent public schools, quality sports programs, and an excellent job market. We hope that Savannah or surrounding cities match that.

My husband is in middle management at a large aluminum plant and makes $70,000+ year. I am a cardiac nurse with 1 year experience at a busy local hospital making $40,000 full time. We need to keep our salaries similar when we move to Georgia because the cost of living is similar to here in Iowa.

1. Budget $270,000 or less since we will have a decent down payment.

2. House/Condo/Townhome? Buy a house 4 bed 3 bath new or less than 10 years old and updated

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) commute less than 30 minutes

4. Children(public school vs. private) public- high achieving

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Suburban!

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? No.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. No flood insurance required. Affordable and friendly HOA

8. Renting or buying. Buying

We need help with suggestions for employment and likely salaries. Not finding a lot online. I am less concerned about me finding a job, and more concerned with my husband. Input on everything welcome though!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 15,215 times
I just want to say hello to everyone in this thread! I am a new poster and I am now starting to begin my search into moving to Savannah and ran across this thread. I have seen a lot of good posts and wanted to just get an idea on what I need to do in order to start the process.

My goal is to more than likely settle in Savannah by this time next year, more towards the end of the year. I just need help with employment suggestions in particular industries that are seeing strong growth there. I am trying to break into healthcare but the only thing is that I have limited experience in that field. I also have business experience and wanted to find out additional suggestions.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 15,182 times
Hello all, my family is also going to be relocating to Savannah. Here are a few questions that I have

1. Savannah country day vs any other private school. I have a 2.5 year old and I am planning ahead is scds worth the money compared to savannah christian prep?

2. What is a neighborhood that is family friendly and has lots of children?

Thanks in advance, meggers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area