Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,451 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have seen a bunch of threads about snakes and creepy crawlers in Georgia but not too much on how many dogs actually get bitten by snakes. Thinking of relocating to the Rincon area of Georgia, absolutely HATE the cold weather here in Wisconsin. However I have three dogs about 20 pounds each and we have never had even a small grass snake in my yard. I realize there is no absolute method for keeping snakes out of your yard but I've read about how rattlers, Copperheads and Cottonmouths are prevelant in Effingham County. If one puts up a privacy fence with part of it buried under the ground does that help by keeping them out of the yard? How many people with dogs who usually stay within their fenced in yard get bit? I am sure those who grew up with these poisonous snakes think those of us from the north are just being silly but I would be heartbroken if something happened to my dogs just because I can't stand winter. I can handle flying roaches, mosquitoes and gecos but I think I would lose my mind if one of my dogs approached a copperhead in my yard. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
You will probably live there the rest of your life and never see a snake.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I've known only a handful of people whose dogs have been bitten by poisonous snakes, like maybe three or four, and I've lived in the lower south for most of my life. None died. One was a very small dog and suffered few I'll effects. In reality your dogs are more likely to get hit by a car than anything. So quit worrying and quit watching those stupid swamp people shows or whatever's gotten you freaked out.

Addition:

Ok, I looked at petMD which said only 20% of dogs bitten by poisonous snakes die. So if I've known several hundred dogs in my life and maybe one half of one percent have been bitten by snakes...and say only 20% of that number might have died, but as far as I know, none have... Get the idea?

Last edited by ellie; 11-13-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My son is fond of hiking and running in remote areas, for some reason. He has seen some poisonous snakes on occasion.
I would be a bit careful if I was in the deep woods, but otherwise wouldn't worry at all. I have not seen even a garter snake here in my yard.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I've never heard of a dog being bitten by a snake around here, though I'm sure some have -- maybe yappy little sissy dogs with pink toenails and ribbons in their hair? The ones that bark at everything and would probably go after a snake rather than bolt and run? Hope that's not the kind of dogs you have. I've also spent a lot of time exploring the coastal wetlands and marsh areas, where thick underbrush and palmetto groves would seem to be ideal snake habitats. Yet nary a one! I think it's probably too hot most of the year for them to be seen.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,451 times
Thanks for everyone's feedback. No I don't have yappy sissy dogs with pink toenails but they probably would go after a snake. I also got a laugh at the comment "so stop watching those swamp water shows...". I love the Savannah area and Effingham County might be a great place for us to settle without being in the larger city but still living close to it.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFanInCheeseland View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback. No I don't have yappy sissy dogs with pink toenails but they probably would go after a snake. I also got a laugh at the comment "so stop watching those swamp water shows...". I love the Savannah area and Effingham County might be a great place for us to settle without being in the larger city but still living close to it.
You have heard about the traffic problems getting to and from places like Rincon at "rush hour"? Recently I heard two people, who live out that way,talking about how it now takes them nearly two hours to get home after work. I've seen the traffic out there, backed up for over a mile on highway 21 going towards the interstate. Looks like a great lifestyle.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM

175 posts, read 421,313 times
Had a 2' copperhead in my garden this year. And I live on the southside. Scared the crap out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area