Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 18,148 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to relocate from the Northeast to the Savannah area upon my retirement. Thus, schools, employment and commuting not my major concern.

Looking to purchase a single family home in a NEW gated community. Considering the Pooler area - Savannah Quarters, the Retreat at Forest Lakes and Somersby look interesting on their web sites. Can anyone provide me with any insight into these communities or recommend other areas to look at? Plan to visit Savannah in early October.

Your guidance would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 03:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
There are a lot of gated communities in the Chatham County area. Don't insist on just a new one. Are you interested in golf? Being near the water and boating?

There are still lots available here.

Dutch Island | A Savannah Island Community

Old 09-09-2007, 05:14 PM

214 posts, read 900,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egliza View Post
I am hoping to relocate from the Northeast to the Savannah area upon my retirement. Thus, schools, employment and commuting not my major concern.

Looking to purchase a single family home in a NEW gated community. Considering the Pooler area - Savannah Quarters, the Retreat at Forest Lakes and Somersby look interesting on their web sites. Can anyone provide me with any insight into these communities or recommend other areas to look at? Plan to visit Savannah in early October.

Your guidance would be appreciated.
www.thelandings.com

http://www.southbridgesav.com/

Old 09-09-2007, 06:01 PM

There are also two more being developed on Norwood Ave and one really yummy looking one $$$$$$$ on Laroche Ave.

Your best bet is to rent for six months while you get a good overview of the city and surrounding areas. There is a BIG difference from one area of the County compared to others.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
Real Estate - Savannah Georgia Real Estate - Rice Hope

also Modena Island Drive on Skidaway Island

Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 PM

8 posts, read 18,148 times
Appreciate your response. Not into golfing, but I love being near water.
However, I must admit, I am somewhat concerned about hurricanes and flooding.

I don't know whether to interpret the lack of response to the communities I mentioned to be a negative. Or is it that you are not familiar with them?

What is the average price range for a home on Dutch Island? While I will have a very nice State pension, as well as my 401K and social security, a 1/2 million dollar + home is not in my budget.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 AM

We can understand your concern about hurricanes and flooding. The last BAD hurricane was 1893. In the last 70 or so years, we have had about six. These were all about Catagory 1, maybe a 2. There is something about the line of the coast that tends to push them up higher. My family has never evacuated. The older houses are well built. Most of Savannah is also well drained so there is little chance of flooding. We do have an occasional downpour during the time of High Tide, that floods some of the low lying areas, but as soon as the tide changes, the water flows out. WE could have one, no one knows, but we have plenty of time to evacuate if we need to.

Now, about the Pooler area. I don't know about any particular area, but much of that area has been built up on old farm land. It lacks the old tree cover and beauty of the Savannah and Islands Areas. There are some nice spots, but generally speaking, the west side of the county could be small town USA anywhere. The east side is the unique Live Oak, Spanish Moss, Old Azaleas, etc. it's a difference in what it looks like. The east side is also has the marshes and rivers. It's just a completly different atmosphere.

Now, that is not to say that Pooler isn't very nice, but that to those of us that have lived here for years and years, it's just not the same. That's one reason that you need to rent first. Pooler could be just what you are looking for. Or you could be very unhappy there.

With gated communities, you are going to have monthly or yearly fees that can make your eyes bulge. Be sure to check on that and think about them going up each year. You might want to look at The Isle of Hope area. It's not gated, but it's on the water. You have to go through IOH to get to Dutch Island. Wilmington and Whitemarsh Islands also have a lot going for them. Are you interested in a Town House sort of apartment/condo? Thunderbolt has some great condos overlooking the Intercoastal Waterway. If you love the salt water rivers and marshes, it's the East side of the County! And don't forget the Ocean! It's a long ride from Pooler.

Prices are going to vary a great deal. It's that old location thing again. but you should be able to get a lovely home for 300,000. It might not be in a gated community though. Most people here don't live in one.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:12 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egliza View Post
Appreciate your response. Not into golfing, but I love being near water.
However, I must admit, I am somewhat concerned about hurricanes and flooding.

I don't know whether to interpret the lack of response to the communities I mentioned to be a negative. Or is it that you are not familiar with them?

What is the average price range for a home on Dutch Island? While I will have a very nice State pension, as well as my 401K and social security, a 1/2 million dollar + home is not in my budget.
Flooding is always a concern in Chatham even in Bloomingdale, because the area is flat and further from the rivers

http://www.thespiritnewspaper.com/
Not Everyone Favors Proposed 50-foot Wide Bloomingdale Canal
By Stephen Prudhomme
Unless they’re from Venice and own a gondola, most Bloomingdale city officials and residents would likely agree the city’s drainage needs to be improved.

Here is the latest Huricane flood maps
The Islands residential areas would be under water with a Cat 2
CEMA: Chatham Emergency Management Agency
CEMA

The only negative that I see about the communities you mentioned is that they are close to the interstates and in some areas truck noise could be a problem. the more forest land that is cleared for development reduces the buffer. and some of these houses are visible from the interstates, and a pile of dirt is not much buffer
I live a mile from I-95 and in winter the noise..... I spend a lot of time outdoors working in my gardens.
for many this would not be an issue

Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 PM

we always get a laugh about those storm surge maps. There are so many varibles for a surge to cover like that. I have been through several here and the Isands have never been covered.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,307 times
Smile The Beauty of Savannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
We can understand your concern about hurricanes and flooding. The last BAD hurricane was 1893. In the last 70 or so years, we have had about six. These were all about Catagory 1, maybe a 2. There is something about the line of the coast that tends to push them up higher. My family has never evacuated. The older houses are well built. Most of Savannah is also well drained so there is little chance of flooding. We do have an occasional downpour during the time of High Tide, that floods some of the low lying areas, but as soon as the tide changes, the water flows out. WE could have one, no one knows, but we have plenty of time to evacuate if we need to.

Now, about the Pooler area. I don't know about any particular area, but much of that area has been built up on old farm land. It lacks the old tree cover and beauty of the Savannah and Islands Areas. There are some nice spots, but generally speaking, the west side of the county could be small town USA anywhere. The east side is the unique Live Oak, Spanish Moss, Old Azaleas, etc. it's a difference in what it looks like. The east side is also has the marshes and rivers. It's just a completly different atmosphere.

Now, that is not to say that Pooler isn't very nice, but that to those of us that have lived here for years and years, it's just not the same. That's one reason that you need to rent first. Pooler could be just what you are looking for. Or you could be very unhappy there.

With gated communities, you are going to have monthly or yearly fees that can make your eyes bulge. Be sure to check on that and think about them going up each year. You might want to look at The Isle of Hope area. It's not gated, but it's on the water. You have to go through IOH to get to Dutch Island. Wilmington and Whitemarsh Islands also have a lot going for them. Are you interested in a Town House sort of apartment/condo? Thunderbolt has some great condos overlooking the Intercoastal Waterway. If you love the salt water rivers and marshes, it's the East side of the County! And don't forget the Ocean! It's a long ride from Pooler.

Prices are going to vary a great deal. It's that old location thing again. but you should be able to get a lovely home for 300,000. It might not be in a gated community though. Most people here don't live in one.
Thank you so much for your response to the above question. I am also looking to retire in about 2 1/2 years and considering Savannah very seriously. Many have suggested Poole to me as well, but never once did they describe it as not having the Spanish Moss, Live Oak and that Old Charm I would be looking for. I certainly would be very unhappy. You have openned my eyes to now know I must search on the "East Side" for what I am looking for....I will look into the areas you have suggested, my husband and I are young 50s and like to stay active, enjoy cultural events, definetely water, bicycling, walking, restaurants and such...and I do not want a gated community. So sounds what you suggested could be nice. Any others would be greatly appreciated.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area