Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2006, 05:56 AM

23 posts, read 117,609 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any info on this school. I revisited the site where it was years ago and the only thing that looks familiar are the trees. I'd like to get some pictures of it around the 1958-1962 area and any information on why it was taken down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,705 times
Default To the person with one question

i ve only got a little info but i dont think you will benefit from it
that school has my name benjamin sprague

Old 08-13-2007, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,682 times
Smile The reason Benjamin Sprague Elementary was tore down

I was part of the last class that attended that school it was right across the street from the apartment I use to live in. The school last operating year was the 1995-96 school year, they closed that school as well as Heynes Elementary and just built another school on Old Louisville Rd called Garden City Elementary. Both Sprague and Heynes was tore down about 1998 or 1999
I believe one of the reason for taring the down is both schools were over crowed and just plain OLD. I know im like super super late answering this blog but I hope it helps

Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 29,168 times
the school burnt after it was closed. it was out of date and the cost was too great to fix and get updated. the state also requires a certain amt. of property around a school and there was no room to expand.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Savannah-Chatham is 'regrouping'. Closing the old, old schools and building new ones. Garden City is booming.

I taught at the 'old' Port Wentworth, not far from Sprague. The heating system couldn't be repaired, etc. Some of the furnishings were made of 'real wood'--and I think the town of Port Wentworth was planning to use that building for a community center, FWIW.

Fondly remember my time there.

bhs

Old 04-05-2008, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,569 times
Default In case anyone is interested

I started a group for Sprague Elem. Alumni if anyone is interested... http://groups.myspace.com/SpragueElementarySchool

I only use MySpace to keep in touch with friends, so I decided I could probably find more of them if I made groups for schools who were not listed in MySpace. Feel free to join and invite others!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFRED View Post
Can anyone give me any info on this school. I revisited the site where it was years ago and the only thing that looks familiar are the trees. I'd like to get some pictures of it around the 1958-1962 area and any information on why it was taken down.

They closed it down in like the late 90's along with Heynes Elementary and built a new school on Louisville Road called Garden City Elementary. After the school closed someone sat a fire at Sprague and they tore both of the old schools. There was going to be a church that was going to built there but no work has been done on the land at all. I went to Sprauge Elementary from k-5th grade (1988-1992 I think), my little brother went from pre-k -2nd grade before they closed the school. Our dad went there in 1956.

Last edited by rachelmclemore; 10-13-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,250 times
I went there yesterday and there is a church built there now. The trees are still there and the one we used to play in like it was a store and we sold ice cream is also still there. It is three trees together. It's such a shame it is not there any longer, I would have loved to see it. I went to school there 1st grade through 6th.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,927 times
The BoE announced planed to use the closed Sprague Elementary School as an Alternative School for designated felons and expelled students. Garden City purchased the property and demolished the school. The school was located between Chatham City Apartments and Chatham Villa.

There were two schools in Port Wentworth: Port Wentworth Elementary near City Hall, and Haynes Elementary across from the Sugar Refinery. The original PW school was closed and sold to the city. One wing and the gym remains, and the city has constructed a Senior Citizens Center on the property. Haynes was renamed PWE and is still in use. The BoE has just announced plans to build a new PWE and demolish the current buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area