Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,089 times

Advertisements

I have hundreds of questions but I will do my best to make this short and sweet. My family and I are planning to relocate from Colorado Springs to Savannah next year after I graduate from nursing school...this brings my first question, what is the job market like for registered nurses in Savannah? I've read many posts about the suggested places to live, but I have also read some discouraging posts about the school system and the city as a whole. I've lived in Colorado all of my life and after a recent visit to your beautiful city, my family and I have decided we want to make it our home as well. Any comments, advice, or things I should look into specific to Savannah that I need to consider before our move would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can work as an RN in Georgia until you pass our licensing. You will probably be able to work as a Graduate Nurse (GN) while you wait. You might want to check on this before you make the move.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
^This

Plus, there is a veritable glut of nurses in Savannah. Now really isn't a good time to relocate here if you're a nurse. Or a teacher, for that matter.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Thank you, I've found the same for Colorado unfortunately...I might have to search in other areas. I did notice that GA is not in the state compact for nurses, so I considered working in SC since it is in the compact...arrgghhh. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Health and medical ads are about the only "Help Wanted" jobs I see in the local paper, so I don't know where this "glut of nurses" is. Just the other day I heard there's a nursing shortage, and have plenty of local friends in the field who seem to have no trouble finding work. If you don't mind working in home health care or hospice for awhile, I know those are growth industries around here -- lots of aging retirees, boomers hitting 65 etc.

Working in SC is an option, especially of you get a three-day schedule like many nurses do. It would cut down on the laborious commute from Savannah.

Coming from Colorado, and wanting a unique change of scenery, I think you'd most enjoy living out on the islands -- Wilmington, Whitemarsh, Talahi. You'd be just minutes to both downtown AND the beach. Plus, the islands public schools are very good.

Best of luck! Have a garage sale and part with your winter gear before the move. I think it dropped below freezing 5 days all last winter. LOL

Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
The two local hospitals aren't hiring RN's, as a group. Sure, low paying home health agencies & such may be hiring here & there, but those are high turnover positions (low pay, terrible hours, little if any benefits).

Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The two local hospitals aren't hiring RN's, as a group. Sure, low paying home health agencies & such may be hiring here & there, but those are high turnover positions (low pay, terrible hours, little if any benefits).
Again, I don't know where you get your information. My dad is on home hospice and they employ full-time CNAs who make $17 an hour and get full benefits.

There was an ad by an area hospital in last Sunday's paper seeking RNs in CCU, endo, ER, ICU, telemetry, clinical educator, oncology navigator, ERT/surgical techs, and PAs.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Health and medical ads are about the only "Help Wanted" jobs I see in the local paper, so I don't know where this "glut of nurses" is. Just the other day I heard there's a nursing shortage, and have plenty of local friends in the field who seem to have no trouble finding work. If you don't mind working in home health care or hospice for awhile, I know those are growth industries around here -- lots of aging retirees, boomers hitting 65 etc.

Working in SC is an option, especially of you get a three-day schedule like many nurses do. It would cut down on the laborious commute from Savannah.

Coming from Colorado, and wanting a unique change of scenery, I think you'd most enjoy living out on the islands -- Wilmington, Whitemarsh, Talahi. You'd be just minutes to both downtown AND the beach. Plus, the islands public schools are very good.

Best of luck! Have a garage sale and part with your winter gear before the move. I think it dropped below freezing 5 days all last winter. LOL
Thank you for the info. I know as a new grad I'll have to start from "the bottom" so to speak, and work my way up. I am absolutely in love with the area, although I'm sure I'll miss the mountain air, the South has always called to me. I hear of nursing shortages and the lack there of in many places, Colorado being one. However I will be sure to secure a job before making the big move.
P.S. In reading post from Savannah residents it is very refreshing to know how much pride you all take in your city. I love my city and it will be wonderful moving to another in which so much pride is taken. Upon leaving Savannah I feel somewhat "haunted"(for lack of a better word) by it-in a good way of course. Is this normal??? lol

Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM

^^^ SAVANNAH BOUND -- You will get two different stories about "living" in Savannah on these forums. Locals (natives) all seem to have an ax to grind and will go out of their way to not only discourage people from moving here, but criticize any positive thing that's said about the community. TAKE ALL OF THESE COMMENTS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT ... and a dash of pepper as well. I've lived on and off in Savannah for 20 years, having come and gone twice from Metro Atlanta (which has 10 times the population) and can unequivocally tell you, this city is intoxicating, enchanting, mesmerizing, hypnotic. It is the only place I have ever lived that felt 100 percent right -- it's truly intoxicating.

All BS aside, Savannah is one of the few places anywhere in the world I know of, where people CHOOSE to live first ... THEN figure out what they're gonna do to make it a reality.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ SAVANNAH BOUND -- You will get two different stories about "living" in Savannah on these forums. Locals (natives) all seem to have an ax to grind and will go out of their way to not only discourage people from moving here, but criticize any positive thing that's said about the community. TAKE ALL OF THESE COMMENTS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT ... and a dash of pepper as well. I've lived on and off in Savannah for 20 years, having come and gone twice from Metro Atlanta (which has 10 times the population) and can unequivocally tell you, this city is intoxicating, enchanting, mesmerizing, hypnotic. It is the only place I have ever lived that felt 100 percent right -- it's truly intoxicating.

All BS aside, Savannah is one of the few places anywhere in the world I know of, where people CHOOSE to live first ... THEN figure out what they're gonna do to make it a reality.
Thanks for your help! I completely agree with you, intoxicating is absolutely right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area