Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,443 times

Advertisements

Check out the
Savannah-Chatham Co. Public School System
Pages - SpecialtyProgram
High School Specialty Programs

Beach High School Medical & Allied Health

Groves High School Maritime Science and Logistics

Islands High School Biological/Environmental Sciences

Jenkins High School Engineering

Johnson High School International Baccalaureate Diploma Program

Savannah Arts Academy Visual and Performing Arts

School of Liberal Studies at Sav. High Liberal Studies and Law & Criminal Justice

Windsor Forest High School International Baccalaureate Diploma Program

Woodville Tompkins Tech. & Career H.S. Career & Technical

Other Educational Centers Specialty Programs

Savannah Early College
Early College

My son is in the Engineering program at Jenkins
Daughters Savannah Arts

Colleges and Universities
Savannah State University
Armstrong Atlantic State University Savannah Georgia
Georgia Southern University
SCAD > The University for Creative Careers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 03:34 PM

328 posts, read 573,329 times
Question This post was in 2013, is it still true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island bound View Post
I wanted to live in Thunderbolt but after an afternoon driving through the area and closely looking at homes there, I checked crime stats and felt less than safe. Grown men in front of burned buildings with cars stopping regularly..sorry but it scared me off.
I thought Southside area was safe, just East of Hunter AF, we drove thru well kept nice neighborhoods there, people walking dogs and quiet. 31419 recent crime stats are low there.
I am searching for rental home, cant afford home on Wilmington, so I have begun searching 31406 area.
I am wondering what your thoughts are on Thunderbolt area. I will be moving in a few months and I am interested in renting a 3br/2ba townhouse with a relatively short commute to work (near downtown Savannah). I initially looked in Pooler and Port Wentworth but I am still open to other areas. I came across a few properties in the Thunderbolt but I'm also a bit hesitant as the poster above mentioned. Using the crime maps I see that there are instances of crime right on the outskirts of the area. I did not visit the Thunderbolt area during a prior visit, but I will visit again to check it out if need be. Additional details, single 30-something year old female professional with no kids.

Any thoughts? Should I just suck it up and go for the 30 minute commute from Pooler or Port Wentworth instead of the <10 minute commute from Thunderbolt? If so, would Port Wentworth be a decent alternative to Pooler?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
No idea what burning building that poster was talking about, but I can tell you personally, Thunderbolt is a quiet little community by the river. Mostly residential. Take a look for yourself and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Oh, and also.. I'm sure you're aware this is an old thread.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:48 PM

68 posts, read 88,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor222 View Post
I have twin sons that are currently a Jr.
1. Went off the Academic tract and went into Computer Information Systems. It's actually a great program. He goes to Lakeland College 1/2 day for Computers, and comes back to home school for 2 classes. Next yr, he would be at Lakeland full time, and have credits going toward his degree.
His transfer meant he had to take no foreign language, which puts him in a spot. Plus, all geared up for this Community college.

Son 2. 4.0 student, wants to go into Linguistics. I will have to see what colleges offer any good programs there (I am doubting this). Has a great offer at Kent State here.

Son 2 would do fine anywhere, his problem would be more social (went from big guy at TN to a nobobdy, OUCH!)
Son1 - doesn't care to move at all if he can get in a HS that has the same type of program, even if it's big.

I appreciate any and all help, I really do. A move from Cleveland to there is a HUGE jump. But like I said, we're from TN so some good ole southern hospitably might be nice. We've been living in a really nice apt complex here, and no one even speaks when they pass you in the hall. I make them. That's the TN girl in me!
Savannah-Chatham Co.Public School System Specialty Programs

Woodville Tomkins Technical & Career High School

Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Just a personal note here... When I was first married, decades ago, my husband mentioned how he hated the "paper mill smell." I pointed out to him that what he was smellig at that time was NOT the paper mill, but the salt marshes. He didn't know the difference.

So, when anyone nowadays says something about the Paper Mill Odor, I have to wonder if they know what they are talking about. I haven't smelled it in years. But the marshes are still around.

My husband has gotten used to the marshes and now, he likes the way they smell!
This makes me happy. I am from far inland and never smelled a marsh until moving here and at first I was not a fan either. But then I learned how it is from natural processes in the wetlands. I live next to marsh and once or twice a week its air drifts in our way. And you know what? I've grown to like it too, I can also smell the salt in the air and it reminds me of the ocean. When you are in Savannah you are living the Salt Life.. embrace it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area