Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 911 times

Advertisements

I am a single female in my 30's and I will be relocating from Los Angeles to Savannah in just a few short weeks. I have read all the sticky notes regarding relocating, but I wanted to get a little bit further insight from some Savannah residents.

I will be working at Memorial University Medical Center. I am looking to rent a two bedroom townhouse under $800. I'm tired of the apartment living and I'm hoping that a townhouse will make things a little bit more "homey". I am thinking of renting at Hampstead Oaks (200 Hampstead Avenue) on the Southside. With the help of a crime map for Savannah, it looks pretty safe. Anybody have any opinions about living on the Southside in general or at Hampstead Oaks? I saw that last month, there were two residential break-ins in that complex, which concerns me.

Also, are there any other places that are "safe" and close to Memorial Health? I will have a vehicle. Unfortunately, since time is against me, I will not have time to visit the area before I move so any good advice, tips, help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlind24 View Post
I am a single female in my 30's and I will be relocating from Los Angeles to Savannah in just a few short weeks. I have read all the sticky notes regarding relocating, but I wanted to get a little bit further insight from some Savannah residents.

I will be working at Memorial University Medical Center. I am looking to rent a two bedroom townhouse under $800. I'm tired of the apartment living and I'm hoping that a townhouse will make things a little bit more "homey". I am thinking of renting at Hampstead Oaks (200 Hampstead Avenue) on the Southside. With the help of a crime map for Savannah, it looks pretty safe. Anybody have any opinions about living on the Southside in general or at Hampstead Oaks? I saw that last month, there were two residential break-ins in that complex, which concerns me.

Also, are there any other places that are "safe" and close to Memorial Health? I will have a vehicle. Unfortunately, since time is against me, I will not have time to visit the area before I move so any good advice, tips, help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Guess you didn't read the Yahoo reviews on Hampstead Oaks. You might want to read them especially from the woman that has lived there for two years.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
There are a lot of places that are safe and close to Memorial. Some are even within walking distance. I think you will be surprised.
In fact, while the Hampstead Ave. area might be exactly what you want, it might be worth your while to look around more. There are two bad traffic areas between there and Memorial. It's also close to the Army Air Field and that can get a little noisy at times.

I know it would be a pain to move twice, but pick a location that will suit you now and don't plan for it to be forever!

As you look at a map, look to the east of Abercorn Street, and south of Victory Drive. good areas and bad areas, so keep that crime map handy!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I have no idea where that is. I googled it. That's a strange location. Yelp says it's closed.

No, I wouldn't live there if, it does exist, because it's hemmed in on all sides by the tech school White Bluff rd. and Hunter army airfield. Too much congestion.

You want to live in a town house? Those are just apartments. Rent a real house. Anything due west of Memorial is fine. Directly north is rough.

I'm going to send you a suggestion via direct message.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
The commute from the Islands to Memorial is not bad. Coming from LA, I think you'd enjoy being out on the water / rivers / marshes / closer to the beach etc. Living in Southside Savannah is like living in any other bland city in the country.

I think you'd also be a candidate eventually for something downtown in the historic areas ... but in due time! For now, do a search for available properties on Whitemarsh and Wilmington islands. There are several condo / townhouse developments that might fit your bill.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:33 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
^^^ that's a sensible suggestion. There's not much in the way of apartment/town home rentals in midtown Savannah that have not become a haven for lower income families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: