Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times

Advertisements

I'm not a huge Bill Dawers fan, but I thought his Monday column managed to paint a somewhat positive outlook for the year ahead. Completion of the Truman Parkway, the One West Victory mixed-use project,
work on the Pooler outlet mall and two new hotels on River Street, and the retail renaissance happening on Broughton Street are just some of the things to watch in 2014, says he.

Will planning for the new arena and canal district move forward? Will long-stalled projects like Savannah River Landing and New Hampstead see new life? Will Medient Studios’ actually become reality? Will another major manufacturer be sold on the megasite?

CITY TALK: Questions worth asking, trends worth watching in 2014 | Savannahnow.com Mobile

He didn't mention it, JetBlue's new service to SAV and the flights being added by other airlines in reaction is gonna be HUGE in 2014 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
[quote=Newsboy;32809189

He didn't mention it, JetBlue's new service to SAV and the flights being added by other airlines in reaction is gonna be HUGE in 2014 as well.[/quote]
How Huge? Try NYC to Sav and return in Feb for $168.80 including tax. That's huge!!

Old 12-31-2013, 02:01 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I look forward to some fresh clean air blowing through the police department, maybe a shiny new chief from outside Savannah, as well as closer scrutiny of City Hall.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:57 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
Boeing moving production of their 777x to Savannah.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
That's not even in discussion, is it?

Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I look forward to some fresh clean air blowing through the police department, maybe a shiny new chief from outside Savannah, as well as closer scrutiny of City Hall.
I definitely second this! I hope they find another well qualified chief from OUTSIDE Savannah. The guy prior to Lovett did wonders for the SCMPD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
.......WHAT?? Are you dreaming or did you hear about this somewhere? This would be a major game changer for Savannah.

Newsboy, just curious, why aren't you a fan of Bill?

Old 01-01-2014, 04:29 PM

643 posts, read 846,142 times
Don't forget the Dick's Sporting Goods and largest Kroger Marketplace in the country next to Oglethorpe Mall.

I'm certainly looking forward to Truman Parkway opening though... I can make an excuse to try and support the Savannah Mall now. Just a pity they decided to turn Savannah Mall into a Family Fun Park/Retail Outlet.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:02 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
We Poolerites don't have a dog in that fight. What I worry about is that the Pooler powers that be are so enamored of being desirable that they lose track of what is prudent.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
That's not even in discussion, is it?
It's not right now, a lot depends on the machinists vote coming up. If they turn down a new contract then Boeing is going to move production more than likely to Long Beach Ca. to save on labor costs. Yea you read that right moving production to Cali to save on labor costs. If they don't go there it could end up anywhere.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 PM

I drove through the Truman Parkway / Abercorn / Holland Drive work zone on New Year's Eve and it appears some kind of major progress has been made, but it was too dark to really tell. I'm curious how that whole thing is supposed to work, or if it will even work at all.

I was always under the impression that traffic coming off Truman would merge south onto Abercorn via a flyover, like Islands Expressway. In fact, Chatham County bought all that land in the curve before Lowe's, as well as part of the apartment frontage, years ago for that purpose. Then somebody told me that Truman would in fact END in the Lowe's parking lot, and loop around to meet Abercorn at a light (like it does with Islands Expressway downtown). But that would require a bridge over Abercorn, right? There isn't one.

So it appears Truman will simply terminate at Abercorn, with northbound traffic merging into the flow and southbound cars being at the mercy of a left-turn only traffic light. I'm guessing, too, that southbound Abercorn traffic will be able to get onto Truman the same way at the same intersection? But that's the same mistake they made at Veterans and 204, which they later fixed, and King George and 204, which is just now getting a fix.

Also, the White Bluff and Abercorn intersections are joined in some way ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: