Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:04 PM

97 posts, read 183,072 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Just wanted to pose a question for all the Hinesville area locals. My husband and I (late 40's) looking to relocate to Hinesville area. We have been there several times when my son-in-law was stationed at Ft. Stewart. We are not military (although I am a veteran), not that at any of that should make a difference. What is the current crime rate in the area? Where can hubby get a construction job? (35 yrs experience in residential and commercial construction from ground up). Where are the best neighborhoods that are quiet yet family-friendly. We have been to Ludowici, Jesup, Savannah, and other surrounding areas and would consider any of these areas......well, maybe not Jesup because I do remember the smell from the paper plant would make me sick to my stomach.....literally! Anyway, any and all advice is welcomed. We are very military-friendly and family-friendly but schools are not an issue but I would like to pursue the idea of getting a GA Real Estate license. Thank you for your input. I look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 04:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
That "paper plant smell" is often detected in Savannah. Depends on the wind and the sun and the moon being aligned.
You might want to cross Savannah from your list if it would have an affect on you.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
That "paper plant smell" is often detected in Savannah. Depends on the wind and the sun and the moon being aligned.
You might want to cross Savannah from your list if it would have an affect on you.
OH COME ON! The "paper plant smell" is seldom detected in Savannah proper -- at least anywhere other than the industrial west side. And then its nothing on the scale of the Jesup plant the OP is referring to. The Savannah plant, being in an urban setting, is required to have scrubbers that filter out the worst of the paper mill stink. The plant in Jesup is in a rural area and doesn't filter the stink, thus smells much worse. There's another mill visible from I-95 in Liberty County that truly reeks.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Oh, I thought it was one and the same plant. (the one we seldom smell in Sav). Didn't know there were others. What do I know I seldom leave the block I live on. Boring life

Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
When you go to a new place to live, there will be adjustments of one kind or another. When we moved to GA, we encountered an adjustment to the politics (Ok, I guess it's normal to have no white people), the humidity (normal to be 99%), the free, loud, airshow over our house on most weekends (sounds like freedom), and also the aromas of certain areas. I mostly notice the "Savannah Stench" on Rte 16, but not at my house in Pooler.
It must be normal to have hardly any good seafood when you are on the Atlantic Ocean, and normal to have no good tomatoes or corn, even when the growing season would seem to be favorable.
We, as humans, have the ability to bend and change. We just must be willing to do so. I still count my blessings, especially in February when the snow is flying up north.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

It must be normal to have hardly any good seafood when you are on the Atlantic Ocean, and normal to have no good tomatoes or corn, even when the growing season would seem to be favorable.
Hmm. We've had good tomatoes and corn this year. Even if we didn't grow it ourselves, we'd buy it at the farmers market. We've honestly had more than we could consume and have been giving both away.

Seafood is plentiful if you catch it, have friends/family who go fishing frequently, or just haul yourself into town and buy it from a fish market. You could go to the docks at Lazaretto creek or ask anyone who's been around for a decade or more where to buy it for a reasonable price.

You're still in the adjustment phase. Just ask people who've been here awhile.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmover View Post
Hi all. Just wanted to pose a question for all the Hinesville area locals. My husband and I (late 40's) looking to relocate to Hinesville area. We have been there several times when my son-in-law was stationed at Ft. Stewart. We are not military (although I am a veteran), not that at any of that should make a difference. What is the current crime rate in the area? Where can hubby get a construction job? (35 yrs experience in residential and commercial construction from ground up). Where are the best neighborhoods that are quiet yet family-friendly. We have been to Ludowici, Jesup, Savannah, and other surrounding areas and would consider any of these areas......well, maybe not Jesup because I do remember the smell from the paper plant would make me sick to my stomach.....literally! Anyway, any and all advice is welcomed. We are very military-friendly and family-friendly but schools are not an issue but I would like to pursue the idea of getting a GA Real Estate license. Thank you for your input. I look forward to your responses.
Construction is still pretty slow around here but has been gradually been picking up. Bluffton or Beaufort, SC might suit your needs better as there are more homes being built and sold up there than down in Hinesville, which is slated for big military cutbacks in the next few years. Plus there is a strong military presence with Parris Island being so close to Beaufort.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Oh, I thought it was one and the same plant. (the one we seldom smell in Sav). Didn't know there were others. What do I know I seldom leave the block I live on. Boring life
You want stink Pink Caddy? Drive down I-95 South on an overcast day. Then just a few miles before South Newport, look off to your right. Across the marsh is a paper mill. Pull over, roll down your windows ... and prepare to vomit.

How people work at those things I'll never know!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 PM

They're still building houses like crazy out in Pooler ...

Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
They're still building houses like crazy out in Pooler ...
Si claro, pero el no hablo espanol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area