Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

I know, right? That Richmond Hill Kroger is nice. I have a good feeling they will build a Kroger in Pooler out at the Lowe's end of Pooler Parkway. I'm hoping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
Longtime lurker but I just had to register. We live in West Chatham near Georgetown.

Kroger... Their quality in my experience is average to poor. Except on a few random things. You know back when all grocery stores said they would stop selling "pink slime"? Well Kroger kept on selling! to save a few pennies you're eating industrial slop when you buy Kroger burger! I'm not an elitist on food or anything but look up pink slime, tell me you are not a bit queasy!

My favorite store is PUBLIX. Most essentials (serial, coffee, etc etc) are BOGO Buy one Get one FREE so if you get one that is HALF OFF. No other grocery chain is nearly as cheap as Publix for what my family gets. And when people say walmart is cheap I assume they only buy things full price. Any grocery store blows Walmart away because Walmart never has real sales.

But Publix has the best quality and selection for the lowest prices, with great service. In nearly every location I've been. Their meat and produce are excellent quality in my experience in Pooler and other Publix stores. The other grocery chains are all hit and miss. And Publix is employee-owned. So, if I lived in Pooler Publix would be it for me. I am disappointed Kroger is my closest store.

Now the Food Lion in Georgetown, is our new favorite grocery store. The store manager there is obsessive about keeping it clean and organized, which I love. Everytime we go there we see him fronting things personally. It is a very nice experience, everyone there is nice. It is not quite as cheap or as much variety as Publix. But they have decent sales. Good meat, decent produce, and a great bakery. Better price and quality than Kroger for sure. So we go there, or make the long haul to Pooler to Publix. Kroger, only when we have to, lol. That said, the Kroger in Richmond Hill is VERY nice. Like any chain, each store can be very different.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
You are right, SavannahLife, that any store is only as good as its management. I always thought the Food Lion in Pooler was much better than the Piggly Wiggly, but it doesn't really get much business.

I, too, am a Publix shopper, and you can count on consistent quality there, but Kroger could give them a run for it and that wouldn't be a bad thing.

If you want go to grocery store heaven sometime, take a ride up to one of the Harris Teeters in Hilton Head. They are awesome.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I'm a Kroger fan from the Memphis area, now in the Atlanta area and thankful there's one close.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You are right, SavannahLife, that any store is only as good as its management. I always thought the Food Lion in Pooler was much better than the Piggly Wiggly, but it doesn't really get much business.

I, too, am a Publix shopper, and you can count on consistent quality there, but Kroger could give them a run for it and that wouldn't be a bad thing.

If you want go to grocery store heaven sometime, take a ride up to one of the Harris Teeters in Hilton Head. They are awesome.
Never been to one of those, will check it out next time, thank you.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
There is a Harris Teeter on St Simons as well ...

Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Never understood why HT didn't expand into the Savannah market.

I guess there is just too much competition?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 PM

474 posts, read 588,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

Harris Teeter competed for years with Publix, Winn Dixie, Piggly Wiggly, Doschers, Food Lion, and Bi-Lo in Charleston. Now, Harris Teeter and Publix dominate Charleston's market. Until the merger with Kroger, I would have agreed they would make a good option in Savannah, especially with Food Lion and Bi-Lo dwindling.

I doubt Kroger and Harris-Teeter would operate simultaneously in Savannah, but Kroger may operate the HT brand in the more resort areas around Savannah where a grocery presence is lacking.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Harris Teeter competed for years with Publix, Winn Dixie, Piggly Wiggly, Doschers, Food Lion, and Bi-Lo in Charleston. Now, Harris Teeter and Publix dominate Charleston's market. Until the merger with Kroger, I would have agreed they would make a good option in Savannah, especially with Food Lion and Bi-Lo dwindling.

I doubt Kroger and Harris-Teeter would operate simultaneously in Savannah, but Kroger may operate the HT brand in the more resort areas around Savannah where a grocery presence is lacking.
Interesting fact: There are no Kroger stores in Glynn or Camden counties, because they are officially part of the Jacksonville trade market, which is dominated by Winn-Dixie and Publix. In fact, there are no Kroger stores anywhere in Florida. The nearest one is probably in Waycross, which must be part of the Georgia division even though it's nearly 100 miles from the next nearest store.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

The major competitors are Kroger, which now owns Harris Teeter, and Publix. You also have Food Lion, who will continue to play a smaller role as their number of stores decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post

Quote:
Interesting fact: There are no Kroger stores in Glynn or Camden counties, because they are officially part of the Jacksonville trade market, which is dominated by Winn-Dixie and Publix. In fact, there are no Kroger stores anywhere in Florida. The nearest one is probably in Waycross, which must be part of the Georgia division even though it's nearly 100 miles from the next nearest store.
Kroger has never operated a store in Florida until now. Harris Teeter operates a store in Jacksonville. Its acquisition from Kroger changed that. I will not be surprised to see Kroger go after an existing chain to expand into Florida. Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie would boost Kroger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area