Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times

Advertisements

Next month I will be in Savannah for one day and one night. What would be something not to miss there. I'm not into sports, can skip shopping. Open to suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 AM

165 posts, read 507,429 times
Do a tour (trolleys cover the most area but some people don't like them) to cover the historic district and then decide, based on what you saw on the tour, if you want to tour any homes or visit any other sites you see on the tour. Check out River Street for drinks, some good restaurants, and to see the river and its life. If you want a bigger tour, I'd suggest either Fort Pulaski or Tybee lighthouse...just to have photos to take home. Eat some seafood while in tour...always fresh.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Thanks, that sounds good.
Is there any good night life?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:15 PM

165 posts, read 507,429 times
Yeah...several bars and such...just a few clubs. Not sure what you're looking for. River Street is active at night.

If you're looking for suggestions on bars/night life, I'll have to step back and let someone else answer because I'm pretty much a homebody.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:19 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Oh cool, Rapture, you're coming to visit? When? There are more and more things going on as the weather cools off, festivals and such.

I wrote a fairly long list of things for some other folks who are visiting from the UK. Check that for museums and historic sites.

My friends do different things. The most important - and you'll be surprised how few visitors actually do it - is to get out and walk around. If you want a personalized walking tour, send me a DM. I have a good guide in mind.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,155 times
My daughter recently moved to Savannah, and my wife is driving down for a brief visit sometime in the next couple of weeks. And my question is basically the same as Rapture posted - what's to see and do in Savannah?

Mrsnesby suggested the Tybee lighthouse, and that sounds like a winner. The historic district of course, and River Street .... I understand there are a number of restaurants on River Street. Are any of them vegetarian-friendly? They don't have to be strictly vegetarian (although that would work), but since my wife is a vegetarian, finding a reasonable place for lunch (and another for dinner?) where she might actually have a couple of vegetarian options would be really great.

Many thanks.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:05 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Vegetarian and River Street?

Most locals don't eat there, so it's hard to know for sure. Saigon on Broughton St. has good vegetarian (Vietnamese and Thai) food. The Sentient Bean on the far south end of Forsyth Park has an all vegetarian menu and is next door to the Brighter Day health food store, which also serves ready to eat meals. Probably best to do the Bean or Brighter Day for lunch and dinner at Saigon.

Some of the better restaurants will prepare vegetarian meals at your request. Best to phone ahead or check their menu.

I'm sure there are others, but I've gone blank for the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area