Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:39 AM

378 posts, read 1,653,757 times

Advertisements

How about Italian, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:07 AM

165 posts, read 508,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Vinnie's has the best pizza in Savannah IMO. There and Tubby's Tankhouse on River Street has great seafood.
I usually tell the guests that at my hotel.
I'll second Tubby's. Awesome food there.

And I'm a fan of Clary's (on Abercorn) as well, but I love that diner/dive atmosphere. The prices are great, the food is yummy and plentiful.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:10 AM

165 posts, read 508,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANLEY50 View Post
How about Italian, any suggestions?
There's a place on Broughton called Il Pasticcio. It receives rave reviews and was called one of the country’s top ten Italian restaurants by USA Today. I've never eaten there personally, but it's on my "to do" list, as all of those people can't be wrong.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM

50 posts, read 196,873 times
As a former tourist and future resident, I liked Vinnies. Its nicely situated and the pizza (I'm from Brooklyn) was acceptable. Like already said the Calzone can easily be split.

When I was there, there seemed to always be a long line and tables were hard to come by (It was in February). So don't go thinking that you are going to get a quick slice and run!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:56 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,475,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinha View Post
As a former tourist and future resident, I liked Vinnies. Its nicely situated and the pizza (I'm from Brooklyn) was acceptable. Like already said the Calzone can easily be split.

When I was there, there seemed to always be a long line and tables were hard to come by (It was in February). So don't go thinking that you are going to get a quick slice and run!
I think that's why a lot of the local crowd I know has quit eating there. Too much trouble.

Plus, part of the beauty of pizza is its variety. There are a number of other good pizza places around town. Screamin' Mimi's is probably more popular with locals downtown now, but doesn't quite have the ambiance that Vinnie's does. Mellow Mushroom is a chain that's pretty good too. It's large and spacious and often seems busy without feeling overly crowded.

Last edited by ellie; 10-07-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,982,836 times
I tried Screamin' Mimi's and I wasn't impressed at all. Way too greasy. Nothing beats Vinnie's...at least until you cross the bridge on to Wilmington Island. Then theres Basil's.

As for Italian, Corleones is another good one at the corner of West Broughton & MLK. Ill Pasticcio is a wonderful restaurant though and centrally located at Bull & Broughton.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 PM

214 posts, read 900,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I think that's why a lot of the local crowd I know has quit eating there. Too much trouble.

Plus, part of the beauty of pizza is its variety. There are a number of other good pizza places around town. Screamin' Mimi's is probably more popular with locals downtown now, but doesn't quite have the ambiance that Vinnie's does. Mellow Mushroom is a chain that's pretty good too. It's large and spacious and often seems busy without feeling overly crowded.

Screamin' Mimi's doesn't compare to Vinnies in my opinion. Most of the locals I know prefer Vinnies over Screamin' Mimi's. I know I do.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
Screamin' Mimi's doesn't compare to Vinnies in my opinion. Most of the locals I know prefer Vinnies over Screamin' Mimi's. I know I do.
I won't argue with you about quality, but based purely on personal observation, people who've lived here for awhile (years and years) have gotten to the point that they seldom go to the City Market area unless they have to.

With the exception of Vinnies and maybe Wild Wings, most of City Market is geared towards tourists, not residents.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,982,836 times
You'll have to exclude me from that list, Ellie. =) I'm at City Market any time I'm off and have the money to spend. Proud resident of Savannah for 17 years and counting.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:04 AM

Interesting. Maybe it's just my crowd. (you know I'm going to start an informal survey to see)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area