Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 AM

50 posts, read 196,749 times

Advertisements

But if you compare it to the 2005 report. There is less total crime, no murder rapes, and in total the entire Historic District is doing better in 2007 than in 2005.

But more importantly, I'm sorry for any inferred (but not implied) insults you thought I might have been making.

-- dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I'll forgive you, of course. You'll make an excellent addition to our community.

But to get back on-topic for these poor kids who will be visiting us shortly. We've managed to scare you enough? Or reassured you adequately?

Let us know.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
There's no reason to hype crime, but I'd rather tell someone to be extremely careful than to tell them we've just been promoted to Disney North. Over the years I've personally known downtown residents and visiting guests who have been unexpectedly robbed while going about their business.

The Historic District is a wonderful place and safe enough... But because of its relative prosperity compared to the surrounding areas, and the carelessness of tourists and just random bad luck (which is no different than anywhere), it is always important for visitors to keep their wits about them.

It's like the streets of Rome or Florence, for example. Odds are if you're not careful - or even if you are, someone will pick your pocket. That doesn't mean a person shouldn't visit, it just means that you should take precautions.
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I'll forgive you, of course. You'll make an excellent addition to our community.
Thank you. I do appreciate it.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,795 times
Stay away from the streets named after presidents and forsyth park after dark.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,026 times
Thanks for all the info. We are still very excited for our visit. I made the initial post not because I was scared to be there but more because I just wanted some tips of some areas to avoid or things to be aware of, especially at night. We aren't complete idiots but we do plan on making the rounds at the local bars and I know that most bad things happen late at night so I want to be as safe as possible while still having fun. Pedicabs sound like a great idea, will they take us all the way back to the hotel? If so, how much would that cost (approximately)?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Why don't you ask them? Rates, savannah pedicab, savannah, ga

Old 11-08-2008, 01:18 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Pedi-cabs are only paid by tips. They really don't have any set rates.

Their range is from Bay Street (not including River Street due to the terrain and the cobblestones) to Forsyth Park (Park Avenue) and from Martin Luther King Jr Blvd in the west to East Broad Street in the east. Basically all the historic district. Your hotel is well within those limits and you could pretty much go anywhere you want to go downtown on a pedi-cab. Those guys are great!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:07 PM

18 posts, read 46,767 times
Lightbulb Relocating

I'm looking to relocate to Savannah. I have 3 girls 6,7,9. How is the school system down there? Are there reasonable paying jobs in the administrative field. And what about the 4 years colleges, which one would be a good recommendation? Overall, is Savannah a good location to relocate and raise a family?

Old 11-11-2008, 01:52 PM

8 posts, read 24,351 times
Crime is bad everywhere in Savannah, many times innocent people are victims while criminals are just passing through a good neighborhood. When I say good neighborhood I am defining this as a neighborhood where if one thing happens all the neighbors call the police. In a bad neighborhood a crime is committed and no one that lives there saw anything.

If you go out after dark, be aware of your surroundings. Don't give any money to panhandlers. If you move here: Get a Georgia Firearms License. I have one .
Apply at the courthouse in the Probate court , right next to the marriage license dept, (ironic huh?) LOL

Usually people that haven't been exposed to crime or stay in their house as soon as the sun goes down, have the misconception that crime happens somewhere else.

Last edited by AntiHoser; 11-11-2008 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area