Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:55 AM

70 posts, read 336,822 times

Advertisements

Just recently relocated (well, now about 8 months ago or so) to Pooler for work. In that 8 months time we've seen new restaurants open, a couple of new shops, and the many beginnings of new construction. It seems this area is growing by leaps and bounds. Heck, Fatz Cafe wasn't open and not much of Cheddars had existed when we first moved here. For some of you that have lived here for a while - what else is planned to come this way? We love the "newness" of Pooler and all it has to offer, yet it is not congested like new areas in larger cities. I know Gulfstream continually brings people to this area - but we've noticed a lot of things that seem to be getting under way, but we just don't know what else might be coming here.

We were hoping more shopping would come. (Walmart is your only option before driving 30 minutes to Savannah if you need any household goods beyond food, etc) If you really NEED anything beyond your weekly groceries and gas, you have to go to Savannah, which is fine, but when gas was $4.50 over the summer, you don't always want to drive 30 minutes 1 way to go get something. However, we do love that there is a Lowe's and Home Depot nearby for outdoor/home needs. I've read rumors of about 3 years old that state a multi-cinema theater and shopping center were to come off of I-16, but all of that has been halted. Does anyone know if a Target or any other stores might be coming to Pooler soon? What about the new construction off of Benton Blvd behind Home Depot and Walmart? What is going on there? A lot of trees have been cleared out and a lot of equipment is back there doing something. We've seen a few churches that are about to be built, but outside of that, anyone KNOW what's to come? I don't get a chance to watch the news all of the time, so I'm hoping someone might at least know about the construction behind HD and Walmart! Really Curious!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM

Just trying to bring this back to the top. I'm so curious as to what they're building!!! I see that they are starting to lay a brick foundation of some sort. Of course this is my quick views while driving by.

I'm so excited about the upcoming Pooler Marketplace! Anyone have any insight on that as well? I hear there's supposed to be a "high-end" grocery store anchor. Maybe a Fresh Market or Whole Foods? One can wish...

Thanks for any info at all!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I think they're planning to put in a Kroger back there. Look at the icon on the map that shows a Kroger that isn't there in real life.

kroger savannah ga - Google Maps

Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I think they're planning to put in a Kroger back there. Look at the icon on the map that shows a Kroger that isn't there in real life.

kroger savannah ga - Google Maps

That icon was placed there as there was no other place to put it, or some such, as the map indicates. It makes no indication that a Kroger is coming to Pooler.

The "16 West" development at I-16 & Pooler Parkway is on indefinate hiatus. This would have been the area's first true "power center". I'm not aware of any "high end" grocers that may come to Pooler, aside from Publix (eventually). The economics & population size of the area don't support a Whole Foods being built here. Freah Market or Earth Fare may be more realistic.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 PM

737 posts, read 2,460,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmolah View Post
Just trying to bring this back to the top. I'm so curious as to what they're building!!! I see that they are starting to lay a brick foundation of some sort. Of course this is my quick views while driving by.

I'm so excited about the upcoming Pooler Marketplace! Anyone have any insight on that as well? I hear there's supposed to be a "high-end" grocery store anchor. Maybe a Fresh Market or Whole Foods? One can wish...

Thanks for any info at all!
Then do some research on your own.
You have all the same resources that we do.
Just sayin', is all.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
The area on Benton behind WM and HD is master planed for class A offices, and I have not heard of any plan changes. That area is in the City of Savannah!
Every thing is on indefinite hiatus until some one gets $. If 'fingham's plan to dump truck traffic from GA 21 onto Benton and Highlands becomes reality, look out!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
Then do some research on your own.
You have all the same resources that we do.
Just sayin', is all.
I have thanks. I'm new here and trying to do as much as I can, but thought I'd post here as a means to reach those who have lived here longer than I, as they may have heard the news prior to my arriving here. Additionally, I have driven by the site, written down the name of the construction company, researched on the internet and have come up empty handed. So, I thought I'd post here in hopes of reaching someone that might have more insight, not unnecessary suggestions of the obvious.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
The area on Benton behind WM and HD is master planed for class A offices, and I have not heard of any plan changes. That area is in the City of Savannah!
Every thing is on indefinite hiatus until some one gets $. If 'fingham's plan to dump truck traffic from GA 21 onto Benton and Highlands becomes reality, look out!

Thank you. I can't get too excited about offices. lol But, I will hope that some new stores and shops come here eventually! I appreciate the help.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
That icon was placed there as there was no other place to put it, or some such, as the map indicates. It makes no indication that a Kroger is coming to Pooler.

The "16 West" development at I-16 & Pooler Parkway is on indefinate hiatus. This would have been the area's first true "power center". I'm not aware of any "high end" grocers that may come to Pooler, aside from Publix (eventually). The economics & population size of the area don't support a Whole Foods being built here. Freah Market or Earth Fare may be more realistic.

Thanks for the input to you and Ellie. I had heard the 16 West development was put on hold. That is too bad, but understandable. I do in fact know of the Pooler Marketplace (Google "Pooler Marketplace" and a site for Edens and Avant come up) is moving forward. Just last week the posted a sign at the site of the future Pooler Marketplace, but also I've read the minutes from the Pooler Commission meetings discussing the site as well.

A Publix would be nice as I don't shop at Walmart. I would love to see a Fresh Market. One can continue to hope for a Whole Foods. I keep my fingers cross for a Trader Joe's too. I miss the conveniences of a big city sometimes! But, I love Pooler and the fact that it is growing. Anxious to see what comes next! Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmolah View Post
One can continue to hope for a Whole Foods. I keep my fingers cross for a Trader Joe's too. I miss the conveniences of a big city sometimes! But, I love Pooler and the fact that it is growing. Anxious to see what comes next! Thanks for the help everyone!
I think all of us would appreciate a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I think I'd drive half an hour to get to one once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area